Easiest Convertible Car Seat to Install with only Seat Belt (for taxi use)

U

Unregistered

HELP! We live in Singapore and ride in taxis 3-4x's/week. I've exhausted my searches online and haven't had much luck finding a solution for what to buy for my daughter who is about to outgrow her PP SIP 30/30 that allows us to cart her around in our stroller and then pop her into the taxi using a seat belt.

Things to note -
- 99% of taxis in Singapore do not have latch or tethers in their taxis (I've lived here 11 months and FINALLY rode in a taxi with it today!). I emailed a big taxi company here to see if any of their cabs have it and they told me that it isn't a requirement for toddlers to be restrained in Singapore! (not the answer I was hoping for!!!)
- I need a car seat that is compatible with Go Go Kidz (I think this is my solution to trying to cart it around while chasing after my toddler) - any other ideas?
- My daughter is 17 months and has 1" above her head until we outgrow the PP and is 22lbs.
- We will be here only 2 more years so it doesn't have to be a long-lasting car seat - just something that will keep my little girl safe when we ride in a taxi
- A lot of expats and locals let their kids ride in their laps (not under the belt) or just in a normal seat belt so I can't just ask around - trust me, I've tried!

I know they have travel vests but I can't see how those are going to truly keep your toddler safe - will just keep them from getting flung around perhaps.

And I'm borrowing a friend's Sit n Stroll to see how I like it - it is rated only C+ in Baby Bargains and not mentioned in Consumer Reports so I'm hesitant to get a new one - hoping to find a better solution with your help! Sit n Stroll seems okay - not sure if it is any easier than using the Go Go Kidz with a traditional convertible car seat. We rode around the block in a taxi today to test it out and it seemed to want to slide (flip) forward if we tried to push on it when RF - when FF, it didn't so does this mean that since we can only install it w/ a seat belt that it is safer to put her FF? (argh...)

Would appreciate any insight you can provide - we are heading to the States in a week and I want to purchase a new seat while we are there!

Thanks in advance!!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd get the Combi Coccoro with the Flash stroller. I've had it installed in a NYC taxi in about a minute. It has its own stroller you can use. It should last to two or three years rear facing (your daughter sounds like a peanut like mine, and you can see how much room she has above her head in my siggy of her in her Coccoro) and then a bit more forward, but by then you should be back here.

Make sure your daughter has more than 1" of shell above her head in her current seat. Otherwise she's outgrown it already.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your responses!

I was actually looking at the Coccoro but saw a video showing how to put the seatbelt UNDER the fabric which concerned me since time is precious when you are taking up driver's time! (though to be fair, most of the time they are very patient with me strapping her in and I read about having them start he meter when I start installing the seatbelt and I'll do that for now on...) And did you see the videos on YouTube about them slipping? Since I encountered the same "slipping" problem with the Sit N Stroll we borrowed when RF'ing, I was afraid it might be another issue I might come across - any fixes for this (other than carrying around a pool noodle...)? Sonatas are typically the taxis that we ride around in here (flat seats/backs). It is funny you rec'd the travel system with the Coccoro - was just looking at that before reading your response! :) My biggest hang-up with the Coccoro is the puzzle clasp - we have one on the PP and it takes so much longer to strap her in when trying to fiddle with those :(

And to the second response, we are using the Peg Perego SIP 30/30 - we have 1" left (if not a little more) which is why I want to buy a new seat when we are in the States next week.

Also for the second person that responded - do you think the Go Go Kidz is easy to install on the car seats (keep in mind that I'll have a squirmy toddler with me entering/exiting the taxis and I'll have to attach/unattach it every time I get in/out of the taxi - you can't keep it attached during the taxi ride, correct?) - or do you think I'll ave better luck with the Sit n Stroll (if only I could fix the sliding problem)?

Does anyone know about a travel system that is compatible with the Scenera - I read it is pretty light and might be a good option as well as the Coccoro, however, it is not compatible with the Go Go Kidz.

Thanks again for any insight you can offer me!

U

Unregistered

I just saw the video on Go Go Kidz's website for attaching the Britax and it looks pretty straight forward. I haven't had much luck finding how easy it is to install the Britax w/ just a seat belt as most videos show seat belts. Could anyone comment on that please?

Also, I see Baby Bargains rates the Roundabout higher than the Marathon and Boulevard. Any thoughts on which to look more into? Consumer Reports says that the Marathon isn't that easy to use. Thoughts? I also read they have a new Marathon that has a higher weight limit. Suggestions on which of these I should consider given my situation? (seat belt install only, needs to be easy to attach to Go Go Kidz and not the heaviest...)

Thanks again!

Jennifer mom to my 7

Ha! Okay, I thought when you mentioned chasing toddler, and then infant seat, that you had 2 kids. Sorry for the confusion.

I mentioned the classic marathon because I know it works well with the go go kidz, and you have a smaller toddler. I do not know how it works with the newer style britax seats.

I think baby bargains rated the roundabout better because it is lighter and smaller. But, the marathon will last 2 years longer than a roundabout will. The adjuster strap on the roundabout was butter smooth, too.

The scenera doesn't actually have a stroller. It is just that it is so light, and compact I guess? that you can bungy it to some strollers and get it to work.

It usually isn't too hard to lift up the front of the cover, install, then put it back in place, but I will leave that to coccoro users. But, it is another reason I mentioned the classic marathon, as it has slits in the cover at the rear facing belt path, to install over the cover for just these types of installations (quick). It also has pretty easy to use lockoffs for the seat belts.

The coccoro didn't do that will all cars, though, and I think the person who posted those videos fixed her issue with it (I think she is a poster here, and when she reclined the vehicle seat properly, the seat stopped slipping/flipping, but I could be wrong).

What were you planning on using from the airport? Are you bringing the sit n stroll on the plane?

I will try to search on the ease of use of the go go kidz. I know many people use them here on this site for travel, as well as just cheap luggage carts :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I can get the Coccoro installed and uninstalled in about two minutes with a sleeping baby in it. Under the fabric isn't a big deal. Just leave the cover undone. In a taxi I had it installed by the time the cabbie had my luggage in the trunk. It doesn't take long.

I've not had mine tip. I make it nice and tight across, then do the European routing behind and it's in there.

Consumer Reports sucks when it comes to carseats. I have no idea why they don't like the Marathon, but it's a bigger version of the Roundabout. Not to mention, both of the seats they're talking about are no longer made. There are new versions out.

Wendy

mommycat

I'm almost sure I read here that you could use shelf liner to fix the flippy Coccoro - maybe someone can confirm. Also, instead of a pool noodle you can always in a pinch roll up a sweater, baby blanket, or other soft rollable item. I really like the idea of the Coccoro.

Here's my version of a Scenera "travel system", I used the latch straps and tether and/or bungees to attach it to the stroller. It worked well for our trip but I wouldn't want to do it regularly, especially if I had something like the Coccoro as an option.
attachment.php

gigi

I live in NYC and understand impatient taxi drivers. A marathon is NOT a practical option. It is huge and impractical to both install-uninstall and I would never want to fiddle with it and a go go kids. I would consider the go go kids appropriate for the airport and not much else.

The sit and stroll is really impractical too.

Get the cocorro. I wouldn't even consider any other option for myself here.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I live in NYC and understand impatient taxi drivers. A marathon is NOT a practical option. It is huge and impractical to both install-uninstall and I would never want to fiddle with it and a go go kids. I would consider the go go kids appropriate for the airport and not much else.

The sit and stroll is really impractical too.

Get the cocorro. I wouldn't even consider any other option for myself here.

Have you ever used a marathon on a regular basis? I have lived in NYC too, fyi. Not manhattan, but close.

Besides, op doesn't live in NYC. She lives in Singapore. She is visiting in a few weeks, and would prefer to buy a seat here, rather than there.

Now, as far as your issues, OP, how far do you walk after you take the taxi? Is it close, or do you do day long outings?

Wonder if maybe you would like to look at the orbit travel system, although it is money. The convertible seat fits in the stroller, and the frame of the stroller isn't too heavy.

You would need the stroller, or at least the frame:

http://www.orbitbaby.com/en/products/stroller-g2/

and then the toddler carseat.

http://www.orbitbaby.com/en/products/toddler-car-seat/

Reviews from Heather at carseatblog.com

http://carseatblog.com/5498/orbit-baby-infant-seat-and-stroller-review-its-a-system/

this is the infant seat/system.

http://carseatblog.com/5668/orbit-toddler-car-seat-review-the-next-step/

and the toddler car seat review.

gigi

I have a diplomat and boulevard and do use them on a regular basis. Getting one properly installed rfing in a taxi and then out again while people are beeping and you are trying to wrangle a little baby is not something I'd do 3-4 times a week. Plus they are both heavy to lug and bulky while you are out and about. Neither couples well with a stroller, so you are stuck pulling your precious little one right near the dirty sidewalks in the go go (which I also had and sold b/c I personally thought it was PITA to use...much easier to push my son through the airport in stroller and carry seat on my back). Singapore is cleaner, of course, but still I'd be afraid someone would push, kick, bump, or trip over baby not realizing it was there or alternately smack it with shopping bags for the same reason.

NYC with kids is soooo different. Not sure if you had them while here, but I never imagined it would be such a pain (I've been here almost 12 years....yikes it is scary how fast time flies :) ). I didn't take a taxi between when my son outgrew the snugride and when he fit into a RSTV, because lugging my car seats was impractical. If the cocorro had been out I very likely would have bought one.

The orbit is a great idea too. I always wonder why I don't see many of them here in NYC...everyone has $700-900 strollers so it likely isn't the cost LOL.

mommycat

Here's my version of a Scenera "travel system", I used the latch straps and tether and/or bungees to attach it to the stroller.
I forgot to mention that we had pool noodles stored between the Scenera seat bck and the stroller seat back. I had 2 taped together, and used the baby blanket to make a "3rd noodle" as needed.

jubgulia

I'd say Coccoro in a heartbeat. I can install that thing in less than a minute FF or RF, it's just so easy and light. The last two times I took my kids to Costco, DS2 was tired. I took the Coccoro out with him in it, set in inside the shopping cart, and used the latch strap through the FF belt path to attach it at the end of the cart facing me. He was happy as a clam, looked at a book, and fell asleep. Back into the car was even easier. I just slid my hand under his legs to press down and get a tight install. I checked it again when he got out and it was a perfectly solid install.

cat mommy

I'm not familiar with the Coccoro, but I just wanted to mention a few things:

1. Marathons are HEAVY. No way would I want to be carting one around in the city.
2. My Scenera 40s fit on cheap luggage carts from Walmart pretty well. I can bungee them on in about a minute. They make OK strollers for indoor use (in the airport, in my case), but, if your kiddo is walking and you are just pulling the luggage cart, that would work well for outdoors too. I'm sure you could get a tighter install on the luggage cart, but it would take a little more time.
3. The Scenera 40s are light--you can carry them on your back.
4. The Scenera 40s don't have lockoffs--you need to use a locking clip on some seatbelts-not sure what kind of vehicles are used for taxis in Singapore.
5. The Scenera 40s have a cover that is very easy to pull back when doing a RF seatbelt install.

U

Unregistered

WOW! Y'all are amazing - seriously, overnight I feel my stress about this topic wearing away - thank you SO much for all of your replies!!!

A few things -

1. Someone mentioned that I only have one kid. The plan is to get pregnant in the coming months so that adds to my anxeity about finding a simple (but super safe) option! :)

2. Taxis you see most frequently around here are Hyundai Sonata CRDI - the middle back seat have lap belts (not shoulder).

3. Scenera - sounds lovely (especially the price!) though I won't have luggage to strap it to so I'd need to do the backpack option. Are they hard to install? (easier than the Coccoro with the travel system?)

4. Orbit system is uber fancy (and super cool) but a bit pricey not to mention we plan to have 2 little ones running around so I'm not sure it is feasible for me to push that big stroller around as well as a stroller w/ my daughter (see #6 below to learn that if I did this, there would NOT be much walking involved - just trying to get in/out of the taxi and somehow on to the elevators) ;)

5. Coccoro - I see that it will work for a child up to 40 lbs. and a height of 40 inches. My daughter is on the smaller side (weighs 22 lbs and is just now outgrowing the height on her Peg Perego SIP 30/30) so this might work for the next 2 years - do y'all agree?

6. I plan to use whatever we decide on for playdates at friends' homes (condos) and to go to church so there isn't much walking involved and shouldn't be many steps (if any).

7. And while public transportation (subway or bus) is feasible, it takes A LOT longer sometimes (45 minutes via bus or subway vs. 10 minutes in taxi to church, for example - huge difference when it comes to carting a toddler around and actually doing something between their sleep schedule...) - when it doesn't, I will definitely go that route!!!

8. And yes, Singapore is a very clean city but even so I wouldn't want to put my child on the cement as I'm doubtful she would sit still (and in the bustling city, that scares me with all the cars around!) - what I've done with our Peg is unstrap her and put her in the seat with the closed door next to her while I unstrap the Peg and then carry that in one arm and let her walk next to me while holding my hand (at times, I just hold her in my other arm).

9. I called Britax last night and they said that all of their current models install the same with a seat belt (not one is easier than the other). I also emailed Go Go Kidz and they said that all the car seats are pretty easy to install once you get the hang of it - Britax she said was easy. Then she said that the Radian was reported to be "light-weight" and narrow - knowing those car seats are HEAVY, I started to question everything she had told me :)

And please don't ask me how I plan to get 2 kids around town in a taxi - ha ha - I think I'm going to become a hermit (or get a helper just to help me get to/from places!) :)

I'm leaning towards the Coccoro now that I've read all of your responses - any further comments or suggestions (other than good luck - ha) after reading my response (above)?

Thanks again!!!

U

Unregistered

Okay, so now I'm torn between the Scenera and the Coccoro. The Coccoro I can get for $200 on that website mentioned above (thanks btw!) and the Scenera, well it is 50-80. They seem to both have good ratings and weigh about the same.

Do y'all think it is feasible to hold the Scenera in one hand (no handle, I realize...) and hold my daughter's hand long enough to get us up the elevator and walk a few steps when I'm pregnant or do you think I should stick to the Coccoro which yes, is more expensive but would give me the option of a stroller, if needed?

I wish there were straps on the Scenera to hold on to when carried! :)

mommycat

You can rig up straps for the Scenera - pass a belt or two of some sort through the FF beltpath and carry it over your shoulder - or use a bigger stroller with bungees or ratchet straps. But honestly, iven the choice and knowing you mean to have another baby I would get the Coccoro, hands down. It sounds like you can even install/uninstall without taking baby out. I did carry DS out of a bus/plane? in the Scenera but then getting it into the stroller was almost impossible without dropping him on his face. I think the Coccoro should last your daughter a good long time, and then you can use it for the baby and get something else for DD once the time comes. Even assuming you get pg tomorrow, that still gives you about 9months before you have to figure out the new seat situation (hip-carry peg and onehanded steer Coccoro?). With the Coccoro, you won't have to lug a seat, try not to drop it, and chase a toddler at the same time while pg.

U

Unregistered

HA! I just got a mental picture of me doing the balancing act as I was reading your post :) You are SO right, the Coccoro is the way to go, hands down! The minute I hit "submit" on my last reply I knew I was thinking crazy thoughts.

Thanks to all of you who responded - I'm off to buy the Coccoro travel set! :)

cat mommy

Do y'all think it is feasible to hold the Scenera in one hand (no handle, I realize...) and hold my daughter's hand long enough to get us up the elevator and walk a few steps when I'm pregnant

Absolutely! I have carried two babies and a Scenera at the same time to get on the plane. It also comes with a carrying case that has a handle and it should also be easy to just create your own strap if you don't want to use the carrying case. Also, I install/uninstall with babies in it when I get on the plane. With one child, the Scenera would be a great seat.

Again, I have never used the Coccoro, so I cannot compare, but the fact that it comes with a stroller would be a big plus when the second child comes along.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC