Are your kids comfortable in the Nautilus?

Stacy

I planned on using this seat once my 28 month old DD outgrew her RF seats. I sat her in it today, and it seems like there's not enough crotch space there. It looks like she already needs the second slot! She's average on the height and weight charts, too. This seat has such great reviews everywhere you look. Is this a common problem??

ADS

astromom

My kindergarten DS is fine in his Nautilus. He's nearly 6 and has not complained about the crotch strap at all and he's had the seat for about 2 years now. He's about 41lbs, 43in last time I measured.

icnee

Even though she seems squished now it is probably cause she is only 28 mo and still has all that baby chunk.

as she getts older she will streatch out meaning she will not really gain much weight but she will get taller and then when she is older and out grows her RFing seat she may not seem so squished.

Qarin

My 9yo just outgrew the harness on the Nautilus (by height) at 49", 53lbs. She misses the harness (but is enjoying it as a booster now). My 46" tall, 46lb 6yo is still very comfortable in hers.

xursusmaritimusx

im assuming your DD is in diapers? that makes a difference.

my DD is 4 and 40" and 40lbs. she has space between the crotch buckle and her body. she fits the nautilus very well. i love it, DD does too.

2BunniesMommy

My 5 year old says hers is comfy. She has had it for almost a year and it is in the less used car, but she has ridden in it out of town and not complained. She is currently 37-40lbs and 41.5 inches.

Neatfreak

I have a 6.5 year old who tells me that she's comfortable in her GN, for another data point.

Last edited:

Evolily

Both A & C are comfy in theirs. The crotch strap issue bugs some kids (mostly boys IME) but neither A nor C has complained (and they are boys ;) ).

Stacy

Well, I installed it in the car and sat her in it. She is definitely sitting on top of the first slot, and the second slot is only about 1/2" in front of her. She is still in diapers, but sposies, and her diaper was dry when I put her in it. I think I'm just going to take it back and get a Maestro. I just don't want to take a chance on an almost $150 seat, KWIM? That really sucks because I practically had to beg DH for the Nautilus! Man, I really wanted to love this seat :(.

mcomommy

My DD1 is 48.5 inches and 52lbs and is a hair shy of outgrowing the Nautilus and never complained that it was not comfortable. I just moved her to a booster because she was so close to outgrowing it though.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Well, I installed it in the car and sat her in it. She is definitely sitting on top of the first slot, and the second slot is only about 1/2" in front of her. She is still in diapers, but sposies, and her diaper was dry when I put her in it. I think I'm just going to take it back and get a Maestro. I just don't want to take a chance on an almost $150 seat, KWIM? That really sucks because I practically had to beg DH for the Nautilus! Man, I really wanted to love this seat :(.

But, that is okay for the crotch strap to be there. It can even angle out from under them some. Not an issue, as long as your dd is comfy:) My dd was fine in hers until she outgrew it, at 5 years old, around 45 pounds, 45 inches. She has a huge torso.

Notaclue

My son recently outgrew the harness in the seat so he's no longer using it, but he never complained about the comfort of the seat until last month. And even then it wasn't the crotch strap. He complained it was too tight across his shoulders (width, not harness).

DD is riding in it now, and she hasn't complained about the comfort of it either.

Kat_Momof3

My daughter was perfectly comfortable until the day she outgrew it... she was still comfortable, but as she didn't fit, I booted her.

the strap is plenty long, and I found they get a little more room when you remove the pad around it, too.

Also, remember a lot changes as kids grow from those pudgy babies/toddlers into children... they get slimmer in build, they don't wear diapers and pullups that take up additional space.

Stacy

But, that is okay for the crotch strap to be there. It can even angle out from under them some. Not an issue, as long as your dd is comfy:) My dd was fine in hers until she outgrew it, at 5 years old, around 45 pounds, 45 inches. She has a huge torso.

I dunno. I feel like I'd be taking a chance on this seat. I wonder why Graco couldn't put one more slot on the Nautilus? :confused:

Oh, and I took off both pads before I installed it. For some reason she just dosen't have a lot of room, even though she's only in 2t/3t pants.

Stacy

Ok, I just checked the measurements forum and the Maestro's slots are set much further out. I wonder why the 50lb seat has more room than the 65lb one?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC