Need suggestions for new used car

mommycat

Hi, I am hoping to get some input on buying a new-to-me used car. I am pg with my second and am looking for something to replace my 2Dr tin can... uhm, Cavalier.

I have a 2 year old currently in an Alpha Omega Elite (not using the base but am open to it if it will fit better in a different car) and will be using a Century something-or-other infant carrier for the first few months for baby. Afterwards, I am thinking of getting a Radian (65 is the one available in Canada I think) and swapping my son into that and the baby in the AOE. I would ideally like to fit the baby in the centre and my older son on the side and leave a space empty on the other side for grandma ar whoever.

I am hoping to get something no more than 4 years old and also hoping not to spend too much at this time (maybe next time - I really have my eye on a new Honda Civic, but sadly can't allow myself to go that much further into debt). I don't really want a used Civic as they are so expensive to get something quite old for what I am looking for.

I had originally been looking at Impalas but they tend to be pricey as well, and the size and number of power features (which I always expect to fail) to be a bit intimidating. I am considering Buick Century's despite the rather average crash ratings, as well as possibly Pontiac Grand Am's or something similar.

Can anyone recommend some safe vehicles and maybe give me some reviews on how the carseats will fit and install in them? We are both fairly short but find the RF AOE really pushes the limits for fitting in the back without having us sit right on top of the dash.

Thanks,

Cat

ADS

scatterbunny

If you are considering the Century or Grand Am, I'd look at a Ford Taurus. It gets really, really good crash test scores, has a nice, wide, flat backseat, great for installing carseats, and has a high enough seatback that it's safe for most kids who have outgrown boosters (still provides head support at least to the tips of the child's ears). I just got done used car shopping and was considering a 98-99 Taurus, I couldn't afford anything newer than 94-95 for a Honda. Grand Ams are unsafe cars, from what I've read. I know nothing about Buick except they don't have headrests in the backseat, in the years I was looking at.

Good luck in your search!

Dillipop

I have a 99 buick century and it is easy to install seats in. I can fit a rfing radian behind the driver seat and both me (5'5") and dh (5'10") can easily drive. I am able to fit a radian rfing outboard, husky center, and cargo outboard (it was really tight!) I can also interchange a safeseat 1 into either the radian spot or the cargo spot. I am sure you could easily do 3 across using a smaller seat than the husky.

skaterbabs

We'll be replacing my Jeep Cherokee with an '02 Hyundai Elantra as soon as possible. It has all the safety features that I personally consider non-negotioables (top tethers with no weight limit, lap/shoulder belts in all seating positions, front driver & passenger airbags, and is less than $4k.

mommycat

If you are considering the Century or Grand Am, I'd look at a Ford Taurus. It gets really, really good crash test scores, has a nice, wide, flat backseat, great for installing carseats, and has a high enough seatback that it's safe for most kids who have outgrown boosters (still provides head support at least to the tips of the child's ears). I just got done used car shopping and was considering a 98-99 Taurus, I couldn't afford anything newer than 94-95 for a Honda. Grand Ams are unsafe cars, from what I've read. I know nothing about Buick except they don't have headrests in the backseat, in the years I was looking at.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks! The website I had used to check crash ratings gave the 2005 Century's one 4 and three 3 star ratings, and a 4 for rollover. The same site gives the Grand Am 4 and 5 star ratings EXCEPT the side impact one for front passanger which is 1 star!!! :eek: I guess pretty bad there, but the back seat is ok. :D By the time the kids are tall enough to worry about headrests I am sure I will be buying a new car, so not as big of an issue for me. DH and family are not big fans of Fords, and I have read some unimpressive reviews in terms of quality, etc, so I had not really thought of them. The 2005 gets a 3 star rating for the rear seat side impact, so about the same as the Century... Need to go see what's sitting in the lots.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC