Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Seatbelts

jonbarlowjr

Seatbelts

At what weight will seatbelts break or snap?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Unregistered
    Under what kind of loading conditions? Why are you asking?

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    The number I keep hearing in carseat circles (other techs, and my cps class instructors) is 6000 pounds. But, exactly, I'm not sure under what kind of loading conditions, or how that translates into human weight, and what speed of the crash. I'll make a guess and say that should hold a 300 pound person in a 50 mph crash, and, in fact, I've never heard of a seatbelt actually failing (ripping totally in half or the anchors ripping out of the car itself) and causing the occupant to be ejected.

More technically, I think it's measured in Newtons, but Im not sure how that translates into pounds.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good