narrow booster seat whine - any other options?

bigteamug

I'm still stuck. I've been carpooling with the RSTV, and the kids don't want to ride in it. and DD has grown out of it torso-wise, so I can't make her ride in it. I am really, really reluctant to buy another for the steep price if kids hate it so.

Why, oh why are there no carseats like this over here:
http://www.britax.com.au/car-seats/mobility

390 mm width = about 15.5". I could probably fit two of those and the radian in the back of the prius. One RF radian, one vivo, and one RSTV are already pretty tight. One roundtrip ticket to Australia and two of these is still way cheaper than a new car....not really an option, I know.

Are there any other solutions out there? I'd even be willing to spend $$$ to get a HB booster and use it as a LB to make things fit.....the Rodi? I dunno.

Something else on the horizon? Seems like I heard something about a LBB from harmony for carpooling in the ABC show info.

Things aren't going to improve this spring when I turn DD ff in the radian. Sigh.

ADS

bigteamug

While I haven't tried, say, two literiders and the FF radian, I do have one and for the current set-up, it is definitely too wide. Bummer - I know it is considered the narrowest LBB that is out here now.

That bubblebum thing looks really, really interesting. I think the kids might actually fight to get to ride on it, not fight over who HAS to ride in the RSTV. And I'd feel just fine about having someone in the middle between the FF radian and the vivo (or other HBB). Now if they actually release it on time, that would be miraculous. Though a trip to the UK and a seat would still be cheaper than a new car :whistle: - and hey, that thing would pack small.....

I will be curious to hear what some of the tech have to say about if they feel it is safe (I do rather wonder if it would ever pop in a bad crash).

I'll keep my eyes peeled. In the meantime, I'm considering a rodi SPS - it is narrower than the XR, cheaper, and is considered the narrow go-to booster for the UK. (at least it was until that bubble bum thing came out). We'll see how it goes.....

Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if anything else pops up. Oh, and I did find that other harmony seat:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Cruz-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Black-and-Red/14914783

Honestly, I don't know if it is any narrower than the literider. I'd buy it if it was - but I couldn't get thru to anyone at harmony when I called today. But it says 16.5", and the literider says 16" for width. Not sure why they made such a big deal of it if that is the case.

christineka

Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if anything else pops up. Oh, and I did find that other harmony seat:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Cruz-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Black-and-Red/14914783

Honestly, I don't know if it is any narrower than the literider. I'd buy it if it was - but I couldn't get thru to anyone at harmony when I called today. But it says 16.5", and the literider says 16" for width. Not sure why they made such a big deal of it if that is the case.

I put the one on top of the other. The new harmony is exactly the same width as the literider, but has high arm rests.

The evenflo amp is 15.5 inches wide.

Kat_Momof3

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Didn't at least one of the inflatable seats get horrible reviews?

I'd probably totally go for that Britax backless though. (Got any friends in Australia?)

bigteamug

I have a friend that lived in AU a few years ago, and she has some super narrow LBB's that all us carpool moms are lusting after. Just some Kmart specials, she said. Haven't measured them, but they have arms that go straight up and are about as narrow between the small arms as a skinny kid butt, which works just fine for us and most of DD's friends. She said she was going to check the brand in case I can get them in the US - I'd be surprised. They are so narrow that people would be all over them if you could find them. I will also add that AU boosters sooner than here, I think, and that these were probably marketed for preschoolers over there.

Don't know anybody in AU, not sure if I could even get stuff shipped here. If the Rodi doesn't work, it's a bit tempting. I would sure trust a Britax (safensound is the AU branch) more than the inflatables. I'm hearing mixed thoughts on the inflatables at this point.

I seem to always be longing for carseats that we don't have here in the US.:p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC