Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Technician

Post New Today'sParent.com and Magazine Article

What do you all think of it?

I really tried my best to have the writer talk about best practice vs. minimum's I hope it came across this way! I also proofed the illustrations for the Magazine Article as well. Let's just say that they look MUCH different than they first started out!

http://www.todaysparent.com/baby/hea...00_9228&page=1
    Cara- CRST- Mom to:
    Finn- Jan 2007- 47lbs- FF Radian XT- Ventura ||Ciaran- Nov 2004- 48 lbs- SK Monterey ||Liam- Nov 2002- 59lbs- SK Monterey- Black ||Mackenzie- Sept 1996- 110lbs and 5'9" safely using seatbelt since 11 years.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: New Today'sParent.com and Magazine Article

Looks like a decent article. It's hard to get across ALL info without losing people's attention. Some things could have been a bit better - like the seatbelt section in Roadside Assistance" - but I was not twitching all the way through like I normally do.
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Oh, and I didn't see any graphics to go along, just the text. Might be my ancient web browser.

That sounded a bit lukewarm, above - it did mention the best practice and the reasoning behind it, even if it was glossed over a bit. Glad to see the info trickling out into mainstream sources.
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug_mom View Post
    What do you all think of it?

I really tried my best to have the writer talk about best practice vs. minimum's
    Cool, you were involved with that? I saw it in my magazine and have kept forgetting to mention it here. I thought it was great, compared to what we normally read in the mainstream!

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mommycat View Post
    Oh, and I didn't see any graphics to go along, just the text. Might be my ancient web browser.

That sounded a bit lukewarm, above - it did mention the best practice and the reasoning behind it, even if it was glossed over a bit. Glad to see the info trickling out into mainstream sources.
    There's definitely some things I probably would have worded differently, but the writer did not stray away from what my main points were.

Oh and the images were actually in the print article, so it's a little easier to get the "picture" in the magazine. They are CGI images, but I had to really work with them to get them showing proper usage.
    Cara- CRST- Mom to:
    Finn- Jan 2007- 47lbs- FF Radian XT- Ventura ||Ciaran- Nov 2004- 48 lbs- SK Monterey ||Liam- Nov 2002- 59lbs- SK Monterey- Black ||Mackenzie- Sept 1996- 110lbs and 5'9" safely using seatbelt since 11 years.

Carseat Crazy

I just read that today! I thought it was great in comparison to what we normally see.
    Mommy to
    Mya-6, FF Frontier, HB TB & Monterey
    Addison-4, FF Frontier & True Fit
    Brynn-1, RF Radian XT

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I scanned through it quickly and I think you gave good list guidelines/points to the writer, Cara I agree that there are a lot of info to get across but the majority of the important ones are there and hopefully parents would read it through or at least the stage(s) that applicable to them.

I am however scratching my head on this point (because sometime something just got stuck until I find the answer :lol: )

If your child is tall but has not yet reached 40 pounds (18 kg), he should be using a forward-facing seat that has higher harness slots.
    "Should be" is not quite correct, imo. Can't use a booster yet, can't continue to use the harness seat with lower harness slots, etc. What is implied with such a statement if I am a parent reading it and it directly applicable to my child's situation? Do I invest in a different seat or am I ok in the current seat (w/ harness slots lower than the shoulders) since it does not sound like I have to. What am I missing?
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

I just read it to mean that it would be the appropriate seat to get, period. As in, "should be" in the taller harness, "should not be" in the old seat or the booster - but using a bit more general-use language than "shall" or "must" etc., which to me would sound too "legalese".

If we are breaking out the probem areas, then as I said above, there were some wires crossed in the seatbelt section...
    http://www.todaysparent.com/baby/hea...9228&page=5#06
    Vehicle seat belts can also be a challenge. Cars with “continuous loop” belts (which are secured to the seat or the floor of the vehicle and only retract at the shoulder) cannot safely hold a car seat on their own: They require an H-shaped locking clip to prevent slipping. This clip should have come with your car seat. Check the vehicle’s owner’s manual and the seat’s instruction booklet for directions on using the locking clip.
    Cat in Canada

I thought it was excellent and I was THRILLED that Today's Parent was willing to devote so many pages to the topic. I groaned at first when I saw the cover (because I thought it would be more misinformation out there) but then I noticed Cara's name attached to the article so I knew it would be good information.

The only thing I wished was that it came out a bit stronger in favour of ERF, but all the proper use points (and I'm starting to believe that really that's the most we can hope for with 95% of parents) were very well explained.

Jennifer, CPST in Nova Scotia and mommy to
    DD born Oct. 12, 2006, FF in a Frontier and
    DS born Jan. 7, 2009, RF in a Marathon

I thought it was great as well, I especially liked the most common misuse bit.

My only quibble was in the rf'ing section where it mentions that the seat must not move more than an inch it does not specify at the belt path.

But that's just a quibble. Well written, and will get to lots of people who don't know that there are other sources of info out there!
    3 kids riding across in a Nissan Altima - how did that happen? Orion in a Britax Parkway, Alice RF in a Safety 1st Complete Air and Terran in a Graco Snugride 35!