pregnancy and seatbelt fit question

Amaris

Let me start out by saying that I'm huge!! I look like the baby was due last week, not in July, and he or she is all in front! I drive an 03 odyssey and I do still fit behind the wheel comfortably, but that's where comfort, and I think maybe safety, end. The seatbelt just will not fit right. I've moved the seat and changed the slide thing up and down, but no matter what I do this big belly keeps getting in the way. The shoulder belt slides up and ends up going over my left collar bone and up on my neck. No matter how many times I move it the same thing happens. Is there anything I can do other than not drive since that's really not an option?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Just limit your driving as much as possible: plan ahead & recruit other drivers.... Also, just continue making sure to try to keep that lap belt below your belly + shoulder belt between your breasts.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
You can put a thin "sock" on the seatbelt to keep it from rubbing your neck or just pull up your shirt collar to protect your neck from chafing. As far as I know, it's not actually a safety issue. What *is* a safety issue is keeping the lap belt down under your belly. In defiance of gravity, mine was always riding up over my belly during all 3 of my previous pregnancies.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I had horrendous hemoroids, too so I sat on a cushion that lifted me up enough for the lap belt to stay low -- also there should ideally be at least about 12" between the steering wheel & your belly....

jn__

I am not the OP but at the end of my last pregnancy I could probably be sitting in the back seat and still not have 12" of room!

Amaris

The lap belt isn't a problem......I'm not sure it could go up and over if it had to!! I just worry that if I were in an accident and the shoulder belt is in the wrong spot then something will end up broken or something (like my collar bone since that's where it seems to go)!! Also, it's very uncomfortable!

skaterbabs

Honestly a broken collarbone isn't that big a deal - painful, but not an especially serious injury.

As long as the lap portion of the belt is placed properly that's the important thing. An improperly placed lap belt could cause Very Bad Things.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I am not the OP but at the end of my last pregnancy I could probably be sitting in the back seat and still not have 12" of room!
Heheh ... I know, but it really does reduce the risk to baby -- unless you could somehow find someone willing to turn off the airbag (not likely) :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC