Been awhile... have a confession and need help

missesd

In 2002, I bought my first MA for my son, Jamie. At some point I passed it down to my daughter, Olivia in 2005. And at some point, before ever finding a car seat forum, I removed those, ummm HUGS things :( And then came to find out a few months ago that those are not optional, and she NEEDS them.... I felt SO bad!! I also lost the belly pad and took off the original strap covers, because they were small and rigid, and put my own on- also a big "no, no". So when we reconfigured the van to move Elena's SnugRide from outboard (only position with LATCH) and upgraded her to her own MA in the center, I decided to take Olivia's MA out to wash and clean with a fine tooth comb, so to speak. Since then she has been using the van's internal car seat, which I cringe to think about. Hubby, however, thinks it's great :hitselfonhead: But I am anxious to get her back in her MA, and don't want to do it without the HUGS and the proper strap covers, because the straps keep cutting into her neck. I'd also LOVE to replace the belly pad as the crotch strap is starting to bother her as she gets bigger. I know I can call Britax and order new HUGS and I *think* straps, but if anyone has a Colonial belly pad, would you let me know?

Thanks... and please don't yell at me :( I didn't know, and feel awful about it. You'll be happy to know, though, that I kept EVERYTHING on Elena's and was thrilled to see they sewed the opening on the belly pad tighter so it doesn't come off all the time.

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
Hey don't be so down on yourself! Most of us have made awful mistakes in the past, it's what you do with the knowledge that you have now that counts!

I can't help but just wanted to say that! Good luck!

trailrunnermom

Most of us have made awful mistakes in the past, it's what you do with the knowledge that you have now that counts!

Ditto above (it's true for me!) Yes, give Britax a call -- I recently ordered new harness straps and a crotch buckle strap for our Husky -- I think it was about $35 total.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
In 2002, I bought my first MA for my son, Jamie. At some point I passed it down to my daughter, Olivia in 2005. And at some point, before ever finding a car seat forum, I removed those, ummm HUGS things :( And then came to find out a few months ago that those are not optional, and she NEEDS them.... I felt SO bad!! I also lost the belly pad and took off the original strap covers, because they were small and rigid, and put my own on- also a big "no, no". So when we reconfigured the van to move Elena's SnugRide from outboard (only position with LATCH) and upgraded her to her own MA in the center, I decided to take Olivia's MA out to wash and clean with a fine tooth comb, so to speak. Since then she has been using the van's internal car seat, which I cringe to think about. Hubby, however, thinks it's great :hitselfonhead: But I am anxious to get her back in her MA, and don't want to do it without the HUGS and the proper strap covers, because the straps keep cutting into her neck. I'd also LOVE to replace the belly pad as the crotch strap is starting to bother her as she gets bigger. I know I can call Britax and order new HUGS and I *think* straps, but if anyone has a Colonial belly pad, would you let me know?

Thanks... and please don't yell at me :( I didn't know, and feel awful about it. You'll be happy to know, though, that I kept EVERYTHING on Elena's and was thrilled to see they sewed the opening on the belly pad tighter so it doesn't come off all the time.

No worries, just call Britax 1888-4BRITAX and order new HUGS. And ALL Marathons made before 7/23/04 have been recalled and need new harness adjuster straps, so if you haven't done that, they'll send you a new one at the same time for free (even if you registered your seat, they flubbed and didn't send straps to everyone).

:)

supercrunch

No worries, just call Britax 1888-4BRITAX and order new HUGS. And ALL Marathons made before 7/23/04 have been recalled and need new harness adjuster straps, so if you haven't done that, they'll send you a new one at the same time for free (even if you registered your seat, they flubbed and didn't send straps to everyone).

I'm glad you said that!
I just inherited an 03 marathon and I had no idea that there had been a recall. Luckily it is sitting in my living room and hasn't been installed in my mom's car yet. I guess I have a phone call to make!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm glad you said that!
I just inherited an 03 marathon and I had no idea that there had been a recall. Luckily it is sitting in my living room and hasn't been installed in my mom's car yet. I guess I have a phone call to make!

The way to see if it's the 'fix' strap, is that it will have a black plastic tab on the end of it. If there's no black plastic tab, then it definitely needs to be replaced :) (It's easy to do, too).

supercrunch

Thanks, Julie!

There is no black plastic tab. I will call Britax later today.

ETA: I called and the new strap is on it's way. I decided I would go ahead and pay the $12.50 and order a new pair of hugs to replace the chewed old style ones...and the rep decided she'd just throw them in as a courtesy. Bonus :)

Last edited:

MsFacetious

The HUGS are only required for forward facing so, since Elena's MA has them why don't you just switch the girl's seats? Put Elena in Olivia MA RF with no HUGS, they get in the way RF anyway. Then put Olivia FF in Elena's MA with the HUGS.

You can still order replacements from Britax but this would be a good solution in the meantime.

missesd

Hmm, I did my recall, but didn't get new HUGS??

skaterbabs

The HUGS are only required for forward facing so, since Elena's MA has them why don't you just switch the girl's seats? Put Elena in Olivia MA RF with no HUGS, they get in the way RF anyway. Then put Olivia FF in Elena's MA with the HUGS.

You can still order replacements from Britax but this would be a good solution in the meantime.

:yeahthat:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC