Question about heights

cpsaddict

Ok, I am putting this in Coffee Break because I don't want to confuse people just looking for some info.

We generally tell people that height limits are not set in stone because it depends on how the child fits the seat. Sooo, on the Cosco seats that say the child must be 34" tall to FF, is that a guideline, too? Or are we picking a choosing which rules to follow? :confused: So, someone can use their Snugride past the 26" or 29" stated limit as long as the head is one inch below the shell, but they MUST adhere to the stated 34" rule to FF in a Cosco? This has been bugging me for awhile. I understand, I guess, if we are saying the 34" is set in stone as a way to keep kids RF longer, but it seems weird. It seems as yet one more thing to confuse parents and caregivers.

Can someone clear this up for me?

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
We pick and choose, but...

The 34" is hard and fast, according to Cosco.

This is to encourage extended rear-facing. :whistle:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Why, yes, we DO pick and choose which rules we want to follow... it's bad...I guess... but....like any moral question, you have to consider the higher good... I'm thinking of Kohlberg's Dilemmas... number 2 here http://www.haverford.edu/psych/ddavis/p109g/kohlberg.dilemmas.html

The 'right' answer is for the guy to steal the drug because stealing is a crime worth committing when there's a life at stake. Telling people to disregard (arbitrary) height limits is a crime worth committing because FF too young is tantamount to a life being at stake. But on the flip side, using those arbitrary limits to our advantage (to extend rearfacing) is also ok. The way I see it, if we know why the rules are made and the truth they reflect, then we can bend them to our purposes.

Make sense? One day the rules will morph to reflect best practice and we won't have to fudge them so much :)

cpsaddict

Thanks, Julie. I guess I do kind of get it. It is for the greater good and I think that most people that are paying attention to the height limits stated in the manual or on the side of seat are also paying attention to reccomendations for extending rf or harnessing. I guess I will just continue to write long rambling posts about height limits! :p

Thanks again! I knew I could count on you for a sensible answer. Well, as sensible as it can be! :whistle:

I didn't want to upset anyone, but I guess we have to question these things to learn anything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC