Malaria Awareness Day

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Seven years ago, on April 25th, 2000, African leaders from 44 malaria-endemic countries participated in the first-ever African Summit on Malaria, and declared April 25th as Africa Malaria Day. This year, for the first time, the United States will officially commemorate Malaria Awareness Day, celebrating progress and highlighting opportunities in the fight against malaria. Malaria kills more people in Africa than AIDS.

http://www.malarianomore.org/about.php

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/04/23/judd.commentary/index.html

ADS

JaRylan

If you watched the American Idol special last night they talked about malaria, aids, poverty. Some very moving moments on the show.

Morganthe

If you watched the American Idol special last night they talked about malaria, aids, poverty. Some very moving moments on the show.

Yes it was.

Something came to mind while I was watching the malaria segment. The US, Carribean, and tropical areas in the Pacific regions used to be infested with malaria mosquitoes. People died regularly of ague, dengue fever, and other terms used for malaria. Now they're vacation resorts and the US south is liveable. It's been such a long time now that no one remembers the malaria epidemics.

I can't remember what was used to erradicate the specific species of mosquito that carries malaria, but it worked permanently even though the regions are humid and have heavy air. Perfect conditions for malaria to thrive. What would it take to do the same thing across those similar areas in Africa? Can it be done or is there something other than financial impediments to eradicate malaria?

Just curious. :shrug-shoulders:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I suspect it is all about finances -- Africa is just sooooooooooooo poverty stricken! Their landfills are wide open & the children climb all through them....

MommyofBoogieBear

i live in an area where there is malaria. what is done here is mosquito fumigation. however, education is a big part as well. to not have old tires around...etc...to get rid of things that will have standing water...where the mosquito larvae hatch. fumigation...and education prevention. also....lots of mosquito repellent!! and mosquitos nets....but sometimes you just can't avoid them.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm just watching it now (TiVo) -- wish I'd seen it when I could've called in.... I'm in tears :( GOOD JOB to American Idol for using the show to make a difference & the celebrities who donate their $ to help!

bbartlettnfld

I contracted Malaria when I was 8. It is quite life threatening.. I lived in Africa as a child and never did "climb through a land fill"..sorry that just sounds so high and mighty...
Africa has a lot of different problems its not just poverty. There is so much corruption which is lining the pockets of the elite, I mean they do have offshore oil there..but guess what.. That oil is exported to the west.
There are people living in extreme poverty in North America too. And until the governments on this side of the world irradicate it here, they will never be able to help others. ..
BethANn

Morganthe

Also we forget "Africa" is a huge continent, made up of numerous countries & terrain conditions. It's worse than lumping Canada, USA, Mexico AND the central American countries all together to describe "North America".
Sub-saharan tropic regions have likely considerably more Malaria issues than Morrocco & South Africa. Unfortunately, many of the countries have extremely corrupt governments, rampant crime, brutal violence, unmitigated poverty, and an inability to access basic needs such as clean water or regular food. Severe drought conditions hasn't helped, and that probably won't change either since the growing Himalayas have been pulling the rains gradually more away for thousands of years :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC