Car accident.... REPLACE ALL SEATS??

judesmommy

My DS and I were in a car accident yesterday. I rear ended someone after slidding on some gravel. We were going about 30 MPH. I braked and then slid. So crash speed may have been more than 30 MPH. I'm not sure. Thankfully, my DS was rear facing and is fine. I have a sore neck, but other than that am okay.

QUESTION:

We had the following car seats in our car:

1) Britax Marathon Classic, occupied

2) Radian 80sl, unoccupied and installed

3) Safety First Avenue, stored in my trunk uninstalled

Do they all need to be replaced???? I know my insurance company is only planning to pay for the occupied seat.

ADS

judesmommy

ahhhh okay :( I thought so. Well, looks like we'll be going seat shopping soon. So sad about my radian :( I love that seat.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would push to have the insurance company replace the Radian. I think an uninstalled seat in the trunk counts as personal property, not safety equipment.

judesmommy

Do you think I could convince them to replace both installed seats?? That would help A LOT!! I have State Farm....

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think there's a good chance that you could get both installed seats covered, but all adjusters are different. I wouldn't even try for the uninstalled seat.

mommyx4

Do you think I could convince them to replace both installed seats?? That would help A LOT!! I have State Farm....

State Farm relpaced ALL of my seats (3) and all 3 were unoccupied. They really can not argue with what the manual says......REPLACE AFTER A CRASH.

ntrenary

I thought Radian was one of the seats that can still be used if the car was still driveable and the door closest to the seat wasn't hit.
I rear ended someone going about the same speed a couple years ago. My Radian was also unoccupied. When I called SKJP they had me send pics of my car, after looking at the pics they told me it was OK to keep using it

crunchierthanthou

What state are you in? I know that in California, they're required to replace any occupied seat. Unfortunately, most companies take that to mean they don't have to replace unoccupied ones. It was my experience, and that of others here that their policies are to absolutely not replace any unoccupied seats, regardless of manufacturer requirements. :(

crunchierthanthou

I thought Radian was one of the seats that can still be used if the car was still driveable and the door closest to the seat wasn't hit.
I rear ended someone going about the same speed a couple years ago. My Radian was also unoccupied. When I called SKJP they had me send pics of my car, after looking at the pics they told me it was OK to keep using it

I believe the Radian manual says replace after any crash. They don't follow NHTSA's guidelines.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
State Farm relpaced ALL of my seats (3) and all 3 were unoccupied. They really can not argue with what the manual says......REPLACE AFTER A CRASH.

The issue is not whether the seats need to be replaced -- they do -- but whether the insurance company is responsible for replacing them. That depends on how the policy is written.

ntrenary

The Radian is definitely a replace after any crash seat. The Monterey follows NHTSA's criteria.

Yeah, I just looked it up on their website. I can't belive they told me it was OK. I trust SKJP less and less everyday. I think they told me it was OK because my seat was still within the warranty and they didn't want to replace it. It's not like my car just had a dent. It was completely bashed in. The airbags didn't deploy, but who knows maybe they were faulty. Looking at the car they should've gone off.
UGh, I'm so pissed! I'm still using that seat 3 years later because they told me it was OK.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
They would not have had to replace it under warranty. Warranties do not cover crashes. I don't know why they said what they did, and they should not have, but warranty is not the reason.

ntrenary

They would not have had to replace it under warranty. Warranties do not cover crashes. I don't know why they said what they did, and they should not have, but warranty is not the reason.

Your right, I was thinking of the crashed restraint exchange, but even that says if it was unoccupied it's not eligible.
Maybe that fact that it was Russ who told me it was still OK, explains it:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC