Bike riding infants/toddlers/kids

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I know I rode in one of those gray plastic toddler thingies that attach behind Mom or Dad's seat, but I was about 2 years old.

Leila rides behind Dad with her own seat + pedals via a bar attached to Dad's bike (wearing helmet, knee & elbow pads).

I'm also trying to find a low cost bike trailer/stroller for Leila to buckle up inside that cozy lil net (still wearing her safety gear) so I can pedal to the library or just detach it from my bike & walk her instead since I've seen some with 100# weight limit.

However, someone is asking about a 6 WEEK old in a bike "basket" :eek: :confused: :(

ADS

twom

A bike basket??? That doesn't sound right. I think I've read on bike safety sites that kids shouldn't be on bikes/in bike trailers until they're a year old because it's just too hard on their necks before that with all the bouncing around, particularly since they need to be in a well-fitting helmet and that's pretty heavy for a little person to hold up.

Good luck with your trailer hunt! We went many miles with ours, and now I ride on a "tricycle" with the kids -- a tandem with a tag-a-long behind. :D

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
A basket? Like attached to the front? WTH?

I know that my brothers rode in those grey seats attched to the back of the back (it even has a 5pt harness...lol)

southpawboston

there are pros and cons to each type of child attachment. i want to have some sort of setup for this summer as well. i can't decide which is safer for urban biking, and apparently the people on biking forums are pretty evenly divided in their opinions: the toddler seat above the rear wheel, or the bike trailer. the bike trailer is harder for vehicles to see, even with a tall flag, so car accidents are a concern. on the other hand, with a toddler seat attached to the bike, if the bike were to fall for whatever reason, the toddler falls with it. i'm really torn. do you know the weight limits for the different options? is it the trailers that go up to 100 lb? what about the toddler seats? (and yes, to echo the comment above, some come with 5-pt harnesses). i think if i was riding strictly on bike paths/rural paths, i'd go with a trailer. but for residential streets with traffic, i don't feel safe at all with a trailer.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We're very rural & I haven't ridden in so long -- I get kinda panicky ... I just *feel* safer with the trailer for balance :rolleyes: :eek: The trailer in the sports store does have 5 point harnesses up for 100# but the seat above the rear wheel only had a 40# weight limit.

I just can't imagine even wearing an infant in a front chest carrier on a bike. I am so very pro helmet (one major reason I keep my car windows closed is that Leila actually yells at helmetless strangers, LOL) I just can't imagine thinking it's OK to ride with an infant who can't even fit a helmet yet, not by size or ability to hold that extra weight on their tiny neck :( :thumbsdown:

JaRylan

cc_sidecarrier_05_p.jpg

http://riverfrontcycle.com/page.cfm?PageID=82

This one is called the Side-Carrier. Not sure what weight limits and if it goes into stroller mode or not. I like the fact that it rides beside the bike and not behind...to me it seems safer. That being said I have a pull behind 2 seater trailer/stroller (Instep Rocket I think) but we usually only go around the neighbourhood and to school. Mine won't fit through doorways or even my back gate.

ETA: 65lb weight limit and no stroller attachment

Last edited:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Personally, at 6 weeks postpartum... I can't imagine wanting to ride a bike.

But then again, I can't imagine wanting to ride a bike at 5 yrs postpartum... Yeah, I haven't ridden a bike in atleast that long.

Scary, scary, scary. The lack of common sense in some people is amazing.

skaterbabs

We bought a double trailer when Gregory was a baby (around a year old), I personally believe the seats that attach to the bike are not safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC