Since it's that time of year...Tornado ???'s

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Ok, when I was picking up DS from school a NWS bulletin came over the radio. It made me stop and think...

They tell you that if you are in a vehicle to get to a safe shelter, or if that's not possible to pull over get out of the vehicle and lay down in a ditch with your hands over the base of your head/neck.

So WHY do they tell you that? I mean honestly I've never had to *really* think about it because tornados are not common place in Michigan...however, here in Missouri they are.

I mean for me, how the heck would I even keep track of 4 kids in a ditch with a tornado? Wouldn't you think they would be safER snugly strapped into their properly installed carseats? Even if it did pick up our truck and toss it about, I'd still think that'd be safER...

But what do I know...LOL:rolleyes:

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
whaa im no help here (we dont have tornados in las vegas..lol)

what are you freezing your milk for? donations? just curious. lol i can never keep up a good stock.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Tornados aim for the higest points, so a van on the side of the road is more likely to be picked up and tossed than people in a ditch below the normal ground level. Honestly, there are some things even a carseat can't protect you from and being tossed by a tornado would probably be one of them.

Leila

Cars become projectiles during tornados. Very large, very heavy projectiles. Imagine if you stayed in your van and another van with no occupants is lifted by the tornado...if it lands on or hits your van, no carseat will save your children. It's just safer to get to the lowest ground possible as far as possible from cars or other potential projectiles during a tornado.

Loves2sing

Tornados do happen here, but rarely, and thankfully every time there has been a warning, we had been at home. Which means we ran downstairs to hide under the stairs. But after my church had built a new building, my parents alomost took us there to wait one out because the entire building was made out of concrete, which = safer. So we would have hid under the stairs there.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Cars become projectiles during tornados. Very large, very heavy projectiles. Imagine if you stayed in your van and another van with no occupants is lifted by the tornado...if it lands on or hits your van, no carseat will save your children. It's just safer to get to the lowest ground possible as far as possible from cars or other potential projectiles during a tornado.

Well, I can understand that...but my point being that is it really safer than trying to corral 4 children in a ditch in the middle of a storm?! I'm assuming that 1 of 2 things is going to happen, either the kids are going to be so freaked out that they are going to just freeze up and lay there screaming bloody murder, or they are going to think it's "cool" and they aren't going to want to lay down and are going to be trying to get away from me to see whats happening better.

I could totally understand getting out and laying in a ditch if it were one, maybe two kids...but FOUR that are all under 6...I don't know if I'd want to do it...I'd almost rather take the risk of potential projectiles. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC