Canadian rules for child in a passenger seat

clarinetb

A friend was asking and I don't know as much about the Canadian rules, I explored the US ones because of potentially needing to put my daughter in a moving van with us ;)

Are there laws on when a child can go in the front seat? All the recommendations say to keep children under 12 in the back seats, but my understanding was it wasn't law.

Can someone help me out with what the laws are in this respect? Sorry, should have added this is Ontario as it might vary by province :D

Thanks!

ADS

Nimommyof2

I dont' believe there are any laws but it depends on how you are planning to have your daughter sit(in a seatbelt? carseat RF/FF? booster seat?). For example if she is still RF and there is an airbag that would be illegal to put a RF seat in front of an airbag, or another example if she is in a carseat and there isn't a tether than that would be illegal, also I think some booster seats say in the instructions not to use in a seat with an airbag so you wouldn't be able to do that.

clarinetb

I dont' believe there are any laws but it depends on how you are planning to have your daughter sit(in a seatbelt? carseat RF/FF? booster seat?). For example if she is still RF and there is an airbag that would be illegal to put a RF seat in front of an airbag, or another example if she is in a carseat and there isn't a tether than that would be illegal, also I think some booster seats say in the instructions not to use in a seat with an airbag so you wouldn't be able to do that.

I was going to verify with her, but it sounds like it is a child that is no longer in a seat, but she was concerned there was a law since there are always warnings.

Thanks.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There's no Canadian law, period. The laws are provincial and some laws do have restrictions (Quebec, I believe; one or two others.) Which province(s) will they be travelling in?

-Nicole.

clarinetb

There's no Canadian law, period. The laws are provincial and some laws do have restrictions (Quebec, I believe; one or two others.) Which province(s) will they be travelling in?

-Nicole.

I had added Ontario figuring that it would likely be provincial given transportation is... Just to make things more confusing, :D

canadiangie

Primarily it's an active airbag that is most worrisome if the child in question is under age 13. We can talk all day :p about laws, but I'm more about getting into the realities of the situation. How old is this child? What kind of moving van? When was the van made?

clarinetb

Primarily it's an active airbag that is most worrisome if the child in question is under age 13. We can talk all day :p about laws, but I'm more about getting into the realities of the situation. How old is this child? What kind of moving van? When was the van made?

The moving van was an issue for my family last year, so I had to look up the US laws.

This is a friend in Ontario. It is in her vehicle and would be for a very short period of time, short distance in town, for a one time thing. I passed along info regarding the air bag, either disabling it, or checking what the weight is to engage it and keeping the child all the way back. She is being very careful but was concerned that there may actually be a law she wasn't aware of.

mommycat

This is a friend in Ontario. It is in her vehicle and would be for a very short period of time, short distance in town, for a one time thing.
Is she needing to put a child in front because she has other kids filling up the backseat on a particular occasion? That's what it sounds like to me. If the child is not in a seat (or is in a booster) and fits well in the seatbelt and the seat is set as far back as possible from the airbag while still maintaining a good fit in the belt (not moving shoulder belt way out from body - set the seat totally upright to help) and the back seat is fully occupied by other smaller kids, then I guess that would be ok IMO. Sometimes the situation is just not ideal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC