Would you booster a 15yo?

Polola0628

I'm really curious. There is someone I know, but let's keep this somewhat hypothetical as I don't see convincing someone to booster their 15yo when their 4yo isn't in any kind of restraint possible.

Say said 15yo is about 80lbs and 4'5" tall. Tiny. (I'm going by looks on weight. Height is accurate as she's about a foot shorter than I am.) Say the seatbelt fits horribly (on the neck and belly instead of shoulder and hips)

Oh, and what booster would you choose, and why?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes, I would.

I'll bet the 15 yo wouldn't be that hard to convince to use a booster. It would be much more comfortable. My DH was tiny until senior year, and he started driving using a phone book and pillows :whistle:

Mae

Yes, I would.

I'll bet the 15 yo wouldn't be that hard to convince to use a booster. It would be much more comfortable. My DH was tiny until senior year, and he started driving using a phone book and pillows :whistle:

My BFF is about 4'11 and sits on a pillow. :whistle:

icnee

I would ay child that doesnt fit a seat belt I would put in a booster regardless of age. As for what one I dont know it would depend on the person whitch one fit better and was more comfy for him/her.

I think My DD3 will at least be in her early teens before she is out of one.

christineka

I don't think I would. After puberty, the bones have hardened more. Also the abdominal wall is thicker than a child's. I'd offer it as a possibility if the teen wanted the booster.

Polola0628

I don't think I would. After puberty, the bones have hardened more. Also the abdominal wall is thicker than a child's. I'd offer it as a possibility if the teen wanted the booster.

And if puberty hadn't been reached, or fully reached? 15yo I'm speaking of still has a child's voice and no physical maturation.

Qarin

Adults are prone to seatbelt syndrome, too- a lap belt across the soft abdominal tissue is bad no matter what.

My first thought (with a family open to boostering) would be a [url="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-LiteRider-Youth-Backless-Booster-Car-Seat-Beige/15047826?findingMethod=rr]Harmony literider backless booster[/url], the $13.50 one from Walmart. Low profile, wide, comfortable. I would consider it medical equipment.

urchin_grey

Probably. I have a co-worker who was going to have to get a booster in order to drive and she was 18 years old. She could barely see over the dash and the seatbelt didn't fit. When she got her own car though, she wound up finding something that she fit better in, so she didn't need the booster. So... Probably if she was just a passenger, and definitely if she were driving.

Kat_Momof3

I would in a heartbeat... but then, I believe in using a booster as long as needed.

I do think, when it's YOUR vehicle, that just means that you should try to shop for one that you fit in the seatbelt properly in, but that's not always doable.

However, I doubt they will, if the 4yr old is in nothing... I'd have the 4yr old (especially if similarly tiny) harnessed and the 15yr old in a backless booster

As to which booster... I'd get a comfy low-profile backless booster... a harmony Cruz/literider most likely.

abacus2

In this case, yes. The Harmony Literider would probably fit well and be a lot more comfortable.

urchin_grey

Are you ALLOWED to use a booster when driving? I thought that was a definite No.

Hmm, I didn't know that! I just assumed it would be okay. I know another guy who is a little person and he has a booster type seat. Not a belt positioning booster though, its really not much more than a cushion.

tjham

The clek booster in that car commercial with the sassy, blonde, curly headed kid blends in with the car so well, it's hardly noticable.

Pixels

Are you ALLOWED to use a booster when driving? I thought that was a definite No.

Why not?

I mean, it wouldn't be a good idea to have a HBB with huge headwings, but I think we're talking a backless booster.

Actually, some states have proper use clauses in their seatbelt law. If the seatbelt doesn't fit right, a booster would be required, technically, though I doubt you'll find a cop who would ticket an adult because the lap belt was too high.

K8tie

I will probably have this same question when my daughter is that age. She is almost 6 and hasnt even hit 30 lbs yet. I can just picture her taking her driving test in a harness seat!

Katie

Baylor

Why don't they make boosters for adults? Is this a simple question? I have an Aunt who is 4'10 maybe? She sits on pillows too.

babyherder

If it was my kid, yes, I think I would. But I plan to start a habit of proper restraits with my kids from the very beginning so hopefully there would no arguments about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC