side by side comparison-Nautilus & Frontier 85

katiesmommy

Jessclear asked me to take some pictures for her doing side by side comparison of the Nautilus and Fronter 85. So here they are. No recline on either seats for the pics. Both are pushed as far back against the wall as they would go.

Headrests in the lowest position
downsidebyside.jpg

downside.jpg

Headrests in the highest position (harness only position for Frontier, I didn't want to take out the screw)
upsidebyside.jpg

upside.jpg

And seat depth
depth.jpg

If anyone has specific requests, just ask and I'll get them. Thanks.

Last edited:
ADS

djma

Thank you! We're planning on getting DS2 a F85 with tax money and now I'm comfortable with the decision. I was worried about legroom/support.

Mom-of-Two

Out of curiosity, at what age and size does a Frontier not swallow up a smaller kid? :) I remember putting my oldest in her Regent at 3.5yo and she was very average size but man, she looked teeny in that monster of a seat. Is the Frontier the same way?

Also can a kiddo sleep in a Frontier better than a Nautilus?

Just looking ahead a bit!

Baylor

Thank you! We're planning on getting DS2 a F85 with tax money and now I'm comfortable with the decision. I was worried about legroom/support.

Us too! I can only imagine how much room they will take up in my car. Today I was in my dad's Edge with 2 Nautiluses and there is barely any room between them. But I wanted to see them side by side.

ETA: Is the Frontier as heavy as the GN?

Last edited:

katiesmommy

The leg support is fantastic. DD can cross her legs in the FR85 just as easily as she could in the Regent.

Out of curiosity, at what age and size does a Frontier not swallow up a smaller kid? :) I remember putting my oldest in her Regent at 3.5yo and she was very average size but man, she looked teeny in that monster of a seat. Is the Frontier the same way?

Also can a kiddo sleep in a Frontier better than a Nautilus?

Just looking ahead a bit!

My 5 1/2 year old doesn't look teeny in the FR85. She does look smallish in it, but it certainly doesn't swallow her the way the Regent did. Also, she sleeps much much better in the FR85 than she did in the GN. We had a lot of issues with head flop in the GN in our car (which is weird because I didn't in my old bolt upright truck). No head flop at all in the FR85.

Us too! I can only imagine how much room they will take up in my car. Today I was in my dad's Edge with 2 Nautiluses and there is barely any room between them. But I wanted to see them side by side.

ETA: Is the Frontier as heavy as the GN?

We have a Neon, the FR85 is only compatible in the center. With it there I can't fit anything on either side of it. There's just no room. Luckily though it doesn't hang off the front of the vehicle seat by much at all. It's pretty heavy, IMO it is probably a bit heavier then the GN, if not heavier, then pretty close to the same.

glockchick

I have a FR85 and a GN installed in the outboard seats in my 01 civic. My 6 year old can just barely fit squeezed in between them.

I prefer the FR because the kids don't have to climb around the huge armrests like on the GN to get in.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a TEENY 28lbs 3.5yr old, and he does not look lost in his FR85. For size comparison, he's still under the 3rd slots of his DC (FF). I have pics of him somewhere...lemme see if I can find them.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
This was last year at Easter...so almost 3yrs old and probably about the same size...maybe a smidge shorter.

Easter2010026-1.jpg

djma

We love the nautilus - but we are needing to use it in to MIL's car b/c DS2 has outgrown the harness weight in her seat (evenflo bolero). We have never had problems with headslump.

Mostly -- I just am itching to get a new seat with tax money and I am completely happy with DS1 and DD's seats, so DS2 it is! LOL :)

tsk_mum

well I was excited about my GN purchase today but this makes me want a Frontier again:cool: My DD preferred the GN when we tested them out. I never thought about the armrest/cup holder being in the way when she gets in from the side .... hope I dont regret my purchase!

jennzee

Bumping to ask another question....

Width-wise, how to they compare? Based on the pics, it looks like they are similar widths, but the widest parts of each seat hit at different locations. Is the FR85 as much wider at the top as it looks in the pics, or is that mostly just padding?

We've had terrible head slump issues with the Nautilus with our 6 year old, to the point that I've considered selling it and trying something different.....and Maui Blue is just calling my name!

katiesmommy

They feel pretty similar to me, but I'll find my tape measure and try to get some measurements when DH gets home later today. The top of the shell is pretty wide though.

The slump is a lot of the reason that I went ahead and got the FR85, honestly. Weirdly enough I had virtually no slump issues with the nauti when it was in my bolt upright truck, but in the car it was terrible. We have no slump at all in the FR85.

kmarcus

Now you know why I posted my question about USAA's car seat replacement. :) I may put the $ towards a Frontier...he was in a Nautilus. Which I love, except for the arm rests are in the way getting in.

Thanks for posting the pictures comparing the two seats!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC