chest clips..

Baylor

Today I turned around in the car and nearly 3 yr old had not slid his chest clip to the bottom but had undone it.

It was really easy for him to undo. So I am going to try all the tricks I just looked up here to discourage him from this.

I am curious why some manufacturers do not include them at all. Like the Multitech and other of the bigger seats. It is because they are made to not use them? Or they feel they are not necessary?

ADS

Mae

I am curious why some manufacturers do not include them at all. Like the Multitech and other of the bigger seats. It is because they are made to not use them? Or they feel they are not necessary?

That's because they aren't US seats. Chest clips really aren't necessary -- It's just to hold the harness in place (over the shoulders). They don't do anything extra besides that.

There are some companies that, if you call (say it broke), they'll say it's ok to use without it until you get a replacement.

What seat is it? The GN?

Baylor

That's because they aren't US seats. Chest clips really aren't necessary -- It's just to hold the harness in place (over the shoulders). They don't do anything extra besides that.

There are some companies that, if you call (say it broke), they'll say it's ok to use without it until you get a replacement.

What seat is it? The GN?

Yes. I was thinking about getting a new one.. Maybe it will be a little stiffer. The seat is not old just from October... I think.

Can you buy replacement clips for the GN in stores? Or do I need to order it special. I know I've seen some in BRU but I was not sure if they are for any Graco seat?

Mae

Graco chest clips are all the same (as long as you don't get one of the older ones). Unfortunately, I doubt a newer one will help.

He's old enough now that you can begin to teach him that you don't touch it. My two year old niece caught on really fast after she got in trouble that she can.not.touch.it.

All it took was to pull over one time, firmly tell her "No." and explain it, and she "got it".

It might take some time, but he'll catch on. :)

You can buy Graco chest clips at BRU. Most BRU's have them, anyway. I know mine does. You can also get them from Graco by calling/online. :)

Baylor

I was so startled when I saw it. He has pushed it down before.. But I never saw him undo it before. It was so easy for him. He just said.. I'll do it.. Did it and pushed it back up.. And smiled...

Thanks!

Kat_Momof3

I don't think I'd replace the clip or anything like that... it's just time to teach him when it's okay to move the clip and when it's not... start encouraging him to do up the chest clip (and even do the buckle himself, with your help, if he can) and, once you tighten the seat, pull the chest clip up where it should be all by himself... and then praise him for being "such a big boy" and "now you're all ready for a safe ride"... then, when you have parked the car and are going to get him out anyway, say... "now you can get out of your carseat. Go ahead and undo your chest clip and I'll come help you"... so he can push it down, unbuckle it, and even start working on unbuckling by himself (unless you loosen first, then he can try after you loosen him)

Give him a sense of control and really praise him for being safe in the car... he'll catch on quickly.

When Ruthie moved to the Nauti, all I had to do was turn in my seat (she was behind the passenger seat), push the lever and she would lean forward to loosen it, then she'd undo the chest clip and I'd unbuckle it till she learned to do it. I could even buckle it for her that way (turned and using one hand) until she figured out buckling) and then pull the strap to tighten her.

When she was 3 and (although it was a different seat) was doing stuff like that, I didn't allow her to have freedom in getting in/out on her own at all... I made her let me LIFT her in, LIFT her out, I didn't loosen the straps till it was time to rebuckle her... UNLESS she'd been good the whole trip. If she hadn't, then she didn't get to do it herself, because she wasn't being safe by herself.

Also, drawing on her hands (with washable marker) worked really well... she was all about caterpillers and butterflies and bugs... her favorite was for me to do a flower on one hand, a butterfly on the other, and she'd talk to her butterfly and take it flying to the flower to eat.

I'd also think about why he did it... was it a long trip?
One to a place he was really excited about?

I'd offer little helpful reminders in those instances (along with things to keep his mind busy), like... I know you can't wait... don't worry, we're almost there

Baylor

Thanks for that! I think it was something he just realized he could do. He wants to do it himself. He wants to do everything himself these days. He is now potty trained and I guess feeling grown up.

Usually we watch movies but it was not working yesterday so that could have been part of it too.

Guess I need a bag of tricks! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC