How tall are your kids' torsos?

Ok I just did a torso measurement on Lex b/c she had outgrown the Scenera RF and I was amazed that she was that big. When I had her sit against the wall, I put a book on top of her head and then measured from that line to the floor...she was 21 1/2"...holy cow!!! That seems very long to me. I am just frustrated and not wanting to give up the RF thing (I have to...DH won't buy another RF seat for her) because she's barely 30-31lbs!!! Grrr. I was just curious what other kids' torsos are...that are tall and skinny like Lex.

ADS
Wait....did I do that wrong? Should I have measured from the floor to her shoulders instead of her head? But if I did that I'm guessing it'd say something like 14"or15" which would mean she'd still fit...but she doesn't??? I am going crazy. This 4th baby is really vacuuming up all my brain cells!!!

arly1983

Yep, it is the floor to the top of the shoulders....

Jackson has a 16 in torso. I haven't measured Camilles torso.

When she was RF, you look for them to outgrow the seat by if their head is above the shell of the seat, not if the shoulders are above the top slots.

ok so maybe I'm not crazy. And she did outgrow the Scenera RF by head height...I was just surprised that she has grown that much in the last few months!

arly1983

Yep, your not nuts...

We are having a head outgrowing problem right now, too. The Evenflo Triumph is very deceiving. Jackson is on the second from the top slots but the tips of his ears are dead even with top of the shell of the seat. So unless your child has really low ears, I doubt any one will make it to the top slots, with the currant shell.

I am looking forward to seeing how tall the new triumphs shell will be...

SPJ&E

Pacey's torso is 12.5" (he's 35" tall) and he's just even with the second slots in his Marathon and Decathlon.

Joshua's torso is almost 12" (he's 29" tall) and he's just above the bottom slots on his Marathons.

Last edited:

scatterbunny

Hayley's torso is about 17.5", I haven't measured in awhile but she just moved up to the top slots of the Husky, she's just a smidge over the second-to-top slots, which measure about 17.5".

A 14-15" torso would mean Lex is slightly under/even with/slightly over the top slots of the Scenera, and I'd guess you're right about her being too tall to rear-face.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Against the wall I get 14.5" for Piper, but I know that's not right. Using a fabric measuring tape I get 15.5", she's got about an inch in the Wizard left, she's got about 2.5" in the Radian, and she's an inch above the Scenera's top slots. So I feel very comfortable saying 15.5". :)

Wendy

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Aiden's is 16" - I should recheck this though, as he grew another inch when we were at the dr's the other day and his weight dropped.
He is now 5 years old, 35 lbs:jaw: , 44" tall, 16" torso
Mikkel's torso height is 13".

Chameleon

Lexi's is about 12.5" and she is about 39inches tall. She is just under the 2nd from the top slot on her FPSVD. I have no idea what Dallas is. I'd guess he is around 11.5" or so. I'll have to measure him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC