RF smallest shell?

E

'er indoors

Hi there - so we are moving our youngest dd (10 months) next week from the infant to the next one- we currently have an Eddie Bauer convertible which not only expires in summer 2012 but also takes up a lot of space when RF - a friend suggested another car seat (but I have forgotten which, have an email into her also) and she also suggested I ask here. So the question is what choices do I have to choose from so we can hopefully still get in the front passenger seat ourselves!!!!!! thanks in advance and hope this makes sense.....

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi and welcome to the forums at Car-Seat.org.

What kind of vehicle are you driving? Chances are someone here has either seen one or owned one, so that would help with making suggestions.

The Eddie Bauer 3in1 seats do tend to take up a lot of room rf'ing when installed at a newborn recline, but when installed more upright for an older child, they're not too bad. Based on the year of manufacture, your base is removeable which would also give a couple inches more in the front seat.

Otherwise, the True Fit, My Ride, and the new Britax seats are all pretty compact in terms of front to back space when installed at a more upright angle. And at 10 months your kiddo doesn't need a newborn recline. The complete air is also decent when it's installed more upright - I had it rf'ing in my Saturn Astra and my over 6' tall dh was still able to ride in the passenger seat.

The Evenflo Triumph is good in terms of front to back space, but it only has a 30lb rf'ing limit and unless a child is very petite, I generally don't consider it as an option. The longer a child is rf'ing the more protected they are, and I really like to see kids get at least over age 2 provided the child fits the seat still. Unfortunately that 30lb rf'ing weight limit isn't enough for a lot of kids so I tend to not suggest it very often now that higher weight limit seats are so easy to find.

mommycat

:yeahthat: Just wanted to add a second (if same) opinion.

Also, you say this is your "youngest" - what other seats do you have available/in use or need to work around? How old/big are the older kid(s)? Sometimes having the full picture makes a difference to our suggestions.

Another ETA to say that if you have no luck with the other seats you could also try a Scenera. It is a very bare-bones seat with limited padding, etc but it RF to 35lbs and is very compact. It oly FF to 40lbs with very short top slots, so it doesn't make a great FF seat as it is outgrown very early. Also, the stated height limit is 32" for RF which isn't very tall - many people do make the parental decision to use it past these limits (do a search on the forum for more info on why many people feel this is ok while in all other cases the manual is "law").

U

Unregistered

Hi, to the PP , what is the name of the car seat you have in your siggy pic? The cow print one? is that a britax marathon convertable? I'm a newbee --thanks :)

mommycat

Not the PP but I have one as well - yes, that's the older version of the Britax Marathon with the Cowmooflage cover print. The new redesigned ones look a little different.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC