Would you do a long winter drive with all-season tires?

northernmommy

The truck I (hopefully) bought has all-seasons on it (GMC factory tires). To get the truck home, I'll have 1600km drive through the interior of our province, which gets normal winter conditions (lots of snow, pretty cold). However, once I'm home, it's another story. We rarely get snow, and when we do, it's usually no more than a couple inches and melts within a day. (Well, we were hit with a freak snowstorm yesterday, and currently have 12". but that's REALLY rare). More than anything, I'll be driving in rain.

I don't really have the $ to put new winter tires on the truck right now, but don't want to be stupid and unsafe either. So a couple of questions:

1) would you do that long of a drive on all seasons (truck is a 4wd, if that makes a difference)

2) would you bother putting winter tires on once I get home? (I'll have the $ to do it next month) Or just run all-seasons?

Thanks!

ADS

christineka

I wouldn't be driving myself, but dh would. Our vehicles only have all-weather tires and we drive around all over in the snow and ice. After we married we drove across the entire country in January in a rental truck. We were fine. If you'll be going through mountains you should have some chains just in case. I'd also have all kinds of emergency equipment. When we drive long distances in the snow, dh likes to bring the snow shovel in case there's a need to move snow.

Melizerd

1) would you do that long of a drive on all seasons (truck is a 4wd, if that makes a difference)

I have lived in Wisconsin my entire life and have never owned "winter" tires and never had a 4WD vehicle either. So that said I'd do the trek you have to do no thoughts about it with all season tires and 4WD. I've driven all over the state in the winter, to Minnesota (8 hours west since I'm on the south eastern corner of Wisconsin), and to Michigan (down around the bottom of the lake and through various states) in the winter.

2) would you bother putting winter tires on once I get home? (I'll have the $ to do it next month) Or just run all-seasons?

I'd just do all season all the time. Especially since your home doesn't have really wintery conditions normally.

Are YOU comfortable driving in wintery conditions? Do you do it enough to not panic etc?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Winter tires aren't just for snow. They are for cold weather as well. All seasons are stiffer and will not handle as well in colder temps and you risk sliding, not being able to brake, etc. If your winter temps are mostly below 7°C then you should get winter tires. http://www.canadiandriver.com/2008/10/22/auto-tech-winter-tire-time.htm

When we bought our vehicle, it was January. There were no winter tires our size available in Canada at that time, already sold out for the season. Okay, there was ONE, ya ONE tire. A lot of good that would do us. I was not happy as we had a 700km drive ahead of us to get home. There was a snowstorm the day we bought the vehicle and 30 minutes after we bought it, we went down a curvy road to get to our hotel and hit ice and slid and bounced off the curb scratching up our new rim! ARGH! I looked behind and the next guy in a truck slid, bounced over the curb and lucky he got stopped as over the edge was a long drop to the river! I kept watching in my side view mirror as we went down the hill and the next guy did the same thing as the truck. I was sure someone was going to die. There wasn't any stopping with all seasons (4WD doesn't help you in those cases and even electronic stability control wasn't enough, needed tires to grip on ice).

I'll be honest, and say that people that think all-seasons are fine in cold conditions make me mad. They everyone on the road at risk, because it doesn't matter what kind of driver you are if your vehicle tires aren't keeping a grip on the road. They made winter tires mandatory in Québec and I wish they would do the same in other provinces that have the conditions to warrant it.

northernmommy

1)
Are YOU comfortable driving in wintery conditions? Do you do it enough to not panic etc?[/COLOR]

I'm not concerned about my driving - I lived way up north from 2000-2008, where we had winter driving conditions from Sept to May. However, I always had good winter tires on the vehicles. The RCMP regularly have "public service" announcments up there, warning all drivers to switch to winter tires.
My van currently has good winter tires on it, but only because I never got around to swapping them out for new all-seasons this past summer :eek:

I'll have two days to do the drive, so shouldn't be rushed, and I'm very familiar with the roads, having done the drive 2-3 times per year for the last 10 years.

Melizerd

With those things factored in I would defintiely be okay doing it. You can take your time, drive during the day and not feel rushed.

I don't know ANYONE that uses "winter" tires. It might be that we're just enough further south from Canada (though I swear half the world thinks Wisconsin IS Canada LOL) that it's not common but we don't have major isues here.

solmama

I guess it depends on the kind of conditions you're most likely to encounter. If it's going to be ALL snow, all the time, then you'll probably want winter tires. But, winter tires don't work as well as all season tires on dry or wet pavement. I'd go with what will work best for your trip and drive accordingly (which is more important than tires, anyway, in my opinion).

I grew up in WI and lived in northern MN for 7 years, I knew no one who used winter tires.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I guess it depends on the kind of conditions you're most likely to encounter. If it's going to be ALL snow, all the time, then you'll probably want winter tires. But, winter tires don't work as well as all season tires on dry or wet pavement.
That is not true. If you read the link I posted it talks about how winter tires perform better in cold temperatures regardless of what's on the road. It's a fact that all season do not conform to any road condition as well as winter tires in colder temperatures. Winter tires are more pliable in cold temperatures which is why they conform to the road better. In warm temps, winter tires are much too soft and you'll get better performance out of a tire made for warmer temps. All seasons are really designed for spring, summer, fall, not so much winter (meaning typical winter here, if you live some place that stays warm all year round, then you don't fit into this category).

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
From reading what Technogranola posted.. I would go with winter tires. :twocents:

As far as your trip.. If you don't have the $$ for them and feel that you can do it... It is your call.

I don't know what it is like up there. We hit the teens when it snows here one time a year. :p BUT if it were mud.. I'm used to mud. I would take mud on with 4wd and all season tires (what we run down here). I'd be well prepared to go through whatever a trail throws out with mud tires. I would not try non 4wd with all seasons. That would be dumb.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
northermommy, I don't know your regular temps, but let's assume that your temps are normally below 7°C in the winter. And you get rain mostly and sometimes snow. You'd be a great candidate for something like the Nokian WR tire http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11884&group=1.01&name=Nokian WR

This is a TRUE all season tire in that it actually has the severe weather emblem on it (snowflake) but can be left on for the spring, summer, winter and fall. We had them on our SUV prior to this one and it was a great tire. I prefer true winter tires, but we get more snow that you do.

Is there a Kal-Tire where you'll be buying your vehicle? If so, give them a call and see if they make the Nokian WRs in your trucks size. And ask them how much they would give you for the tires currently on your truck. That's what we did with ours, sold them our tires and used it towards the new ones. Alternatively, you can sell the others yourself, but we didn't want the hassle. We didn't get a great price on the tire trade in, but it was worth it for us to get the tires we needed (we actually wanted winter tires, but again bought at a weird time and all across Canada sold out in our size!).

northernmommy

I know I'd feel a lot better, and safer, if I was running winter tires. It just may not be possible to buy them before the trip. As far as I can tell, a set of decent winter treads for the truck would run between $600-$800 :eek: I can swing that if the bank doesn't take the first payment until next month, but if they want a payment right away, it will be too tight (I don't want to be stuck on the road without any funds to cover an emergency/delay). But I don't want to be stupid and regret it. I'll likely have DD2 with me, and don't want to take chances with her safety.

Are you just going to be on the interstate? Cuz if you're just gonna be going straight on the interstate, all seasons might be ok for a one time trip. I mean, sure, I'd want to do it, but finances are finances. If it's all interstate and none of those weird cliff roads with no guardrails like technograndma has, then the risks are relatively low.

7 C is just cuz the tire's gonna start wearing rapidly if you use it above that. I suppose there could be some major changes due to geography, but NO one puts on snow tires here in the winter even tho almost every day is below 7 C here. We don't have a large number of accidents or anything due to tires not performing as well, etc. If we had weather like Quebec, sure, but it's pretty mild here kinda like what northernmommy describes. We just don't get snow (rain, frost and hail is all; snow is once every few years for like a day at most).

northernmommy

northermommy, I don't know your regular temps, but let's assume that your temps are normally below 7°C in the winter. And you get rain mostly and sometimes snow. You'd be a great candidate for something like the Nokian WR tire http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11884&group=1.01&name=Nokian WR

This is a TRUE all season tire in that it actually has the severe weather emblem on it (snowflake) but can be left on for the spring, summer, winter and fall. We had them on our SUV prior to this one and it was a great tire. I prefer true winter tires, but we get more snow that you do.

Is there a Kal-Tire where you'll be buying your vehicle? If so, give them a call and see if they make the Nokian WRs in your trucks size. And ask them how much they would give you for the tires currently on your truck. That's what we did with ours, sold them our tires and used it towards the new ones. Alternatively, you can sell the others yourself, but we didn't want the hassle. We didn't get a great price on the tire trade in, but it was worth it for us to get the tires we needed (we actually wanted winter tires, but again bought at a weird time and all across Canada sold out in our size!).

We run pretty "warm" in the winter. Usually around 9-12C. I'll be picking the truck up in Vancouver, so I'd imagine there would be a Kal Tire. I hadn't thought of asking for a trade credit on the factory tires, thanks! (Although then I'd have to buy new summer tires in a couple months, right? My understanding is that you shouldn't run winter tires in the summer, right?)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
7 C is just cuz the tire's gonna start wearing rapidly if you use it above that. I suppose there could be some major changes due to geography, but NO one puts on snow tires here in the winter even tho almost every day is below 7 C here. We don't have a large number of accidents or anything due to tires not performing as well, etc. If we had weather like Quebec, sure, but it's pretty mild here kinda like what northernmommy describes. We just don't get snow (rain, frost and hail is all; snow is once every few years for like a day at most).
Sure, but the tire also performs better than an all season in temps below that. It also sounds like her weather is different than yours. She gets snow, and is likely in slushy conditions when the weather is about freezing temps meaning that she's likely to have slippery conditions.

I forgot to mention the 4x4 thing. Whether or not you have 4WD, makes no difference in whether or not you should get winter tires. If your weather conditions warranty winter tires, they warrant it wether you have 4WD or not. 4WD drive does not help you on a skid around a corner or decrease your stopping distance.

Uh, and when did I become technograndma Codex? ;) The nice windy road I am talking about is in Alberta. The drop off isn't right at the edge of the road, but I was super shocked how far the one truck went after he hopped over the curb.

I am surprised that temps in California get below 7°C/44°F! I had no idea. All winter long? Or is that just a low for a period of time and then things jump higher?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We run pretty "warm" in the winter. Usually around 9-12C. I'll be picking the truck up in Vancouver, so I'd imagine there would be a Kal Tire. I hadn't thought of asking for a trade credit on the factory tires, thanks! (Although then I'd have to buy new summer tires in a couple months, right? My understanding is that you shouldn't run winter tires in the summer, right?)
The Nokian WRs can be run in the summer. :thumbsup: They are unique tire that way. You would get street racing performance out of them, but that's not what you're looking for. :ROTFLMAO:

Okay, so you're consistently 9-12°C. Due to the rain and snow, you still might benefit from the WRs, but you know, I'd check with the guys at Kal-Tire to be sure. From my past experience with them, even though they are in the tire selling business, they've always been honest with me and never pushed a product. They've in fact, not sold me tires because it wasn't what was best for what I needed. They've also repaired two of my dad's tires for FREE when he didn't even buy his tires there in the first place (and he was expecting to pay, and tried to pay, they wouldn't let him).

I wouldn't want you buying something you truly didn't need, and my expertise is limited at your temps. If your temps were always higher or lower, I'd know what you should get! But, it seems you're in that range where it's questionable.

Also, check with your dealer. Around here, all the dealers offers winter tire packages. See what they charge. Now, that's assuming that winter tires are even offered by dealers in Vancouver. I've never been there in the winter, only summer, but I know Vancouver's weather is nothing like mine in the winter! :)

Melizerd

Our current temp in Wisconsin is 20F/-6C, and it's easily below that most days. I'm really surprised that it's so common to have winter tires in Canada, definitely a regional thing for outside the U.S.

northernmommy

Are you just going to be on the interstate? Cuz if you're just gonna be going straight on the interstate, all seasons might be ok for a one time trip. I mean, sure, I'd want to do it, but finances are finances. If it's all interstate and none of those weird cliff roads with no guardrails like technograndma has, then the risks are relatively low.

We don't have interstates up here. I'll be on Hwy 97, then 16 so main Provincial highways, but many portions are quite isolated (2-300km between townd). It has one really scary portion, where it winds through the Fraser Canyon. There are guardrails in places, but not everywhere. Much of the road in that stretch looks a lot like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/meironke/2912598162/

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Our current temp in Wisconsin is 20F/-6C, and it's easily below that most days. I'm really surprised that it's so common to have winter tires in Canada, definitely a regional thing for outside the U.S.
It's not common to have winter tires here, except in Quebec where it's law. People just don't know so they don't do it. Or they don't want to spend the money, not realizing that now that you are swapping tires, you have to replace both sets less frequently so it's just changing when you spend your money, not really how much.

My dad is the one who convinced me to get winter tires about 14 years ago. And I've never looked back since. When DH and I were dating, I convinced him and he never looked back. We've now convinced his sister and she was amazed at her vehicle's winter handling and has also never looked back. A guy at work bought winter tires based on a chat with me and every winter he thanks me.

I remember the year I got rear-ended in my "student" car and it totalled my vehicle (my vehicle was only worth $2100 so it wasn't a bad accident although I did get whiplash). The girl that hit us was 20 years old and spouting off, "but I just got new tires, I have NO idea why I couldn't stop and you could!". And I looked at her tires, "uh, they are all seasons. It's -30°C outside with ice on the road, those tires are just going to slide".

northernmommy

There are a lot of sections of road up here (in Northern BC at least) marked with signs that say "Drivers must use good WINTER tires or carry chains". If I still lived up north (well, more north than I am now :p ) It wouldn't even be a question. Up there, I didn't know anyone who DIDN'T run winter tires from Sept to May. Geographical differences, I guess!

The Nokian WRs can be run in the summer. :thumbsup: They are unique tire that way. You would get street racing performance out of them, but that's not what you're looking for. :ROTFLMAO:

Okay, so you're consistently 9-12°C. Due to the rain and snow, you still might benefit from the WRs, but you know, I'd check with the guys at Kal-Tire to be sure. From my past experience with them, even though they are in the tire selling business, they've always been honest with me and never pushed a product. They've in fact, not sold me tires because it wasn't what was best for what I needed. They've also repaired two of my dad's tires for FREE when he didn't even buy his tires there in the first place (and he was expecting to pay, and tried to pay, they wouldn't let him).

I wouldn't want you buying something you truly didn't need, and my expertise is limited at your temps. If your temps were always higher or lower, I'd know what you should get! But, it seems your in that range where it's questionable.

Also, check with your dealer. Around here, all the dealers offers winter tire packages. See what they charge. Now, that's assuming that winter tires are even offered by dealers in Vancouver. I've never been there in the winter, only summer, but I know Vancouver's weather is nothing like mine in the winter! :)

Nope, def not loking for performace racing tires, lol! I know that if I WASN'T bringing the truck home through the interior of BC, I probably wouldn't sweat the winter tires, as it's hit and miss whether they're needed at home or not. Given how remote much of the trip is, and that most of the roads appear to be covered in snow/slush right now (I just checked the road cams), I'm developing an uneasy feeling in my gut about doing it with all-seasons (dealer all seasons at that...). Augh!

bubbaray

Sarah, I know your roads somewhat (have driven from here to Mackenzie, not the exact same road but similar winter conditions).

There is NO WAY I would drive where you are in winter without winter tires. Absolutely not. Especially with a new vehicle that you aren't used to. And, hello, with a back end that needs some weight (like as in a set of new all seasons).

Don't skimp on this. Get a new set of winter tires, preferably with rims. Put those on at the dealership. Have them put the all seasons in the back. You'll need the extra weight anyway.

HTH

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC