New Marathon to replace one from 08?

skydancer

So I was just at TRU this evening and picked up one of the new Marathons (it was the last one they had so I thought I'd grab it while I could). We currently use a MA with a mfg date of 03/08. Just trying to decide if it's worth keeping the new one or just save our $$. DD is 3y2m old and about 37lbs. She's been FFing for quite a while now, so it's unlikely we would turn her back at this point. I do like the fact that I can take the cover off without uninstalling the car seat (at least it looks like I could but for sure without having to rethread the harness).
Not sure I like the way the cover is so open by the hips. The velcro on the harness barely reaches the velcro on the cover. Also, it seems like with the infant pad removed and the harness raised a bit, there's a big hollow spot in the lower back area.

We only have one DD at this point, but plan on more. However, they'll be far enough in age that I'm not sure that we'll ever benefit from being able to change the harness height on the fly. Also, by the time DC#2 is ready for a convertible seat, there may be newer/better stuff available by then.

TRU said no problem to return the seat if it's unused, so I'm just trying to decide if it's worth keeping it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:)

One last consideration. We were in a very minor fender bender yesterday. Just the front bumper was damaged, and it was not even a sudden stop (went into a snow bank). Honestly, I think slamming on the brakes on pavement would put more force on the carseat. We are going to be paying for repairs ourselves instead of going through insurance, so if we replace the car seat because of this, it's on our dime. I honestly feel like the car seat is completely safe and was not damaged in the slightest from this, but should I really be following the "replace the seat after ANY crash" recommendation??

ADS

mam521

I'd check the manual for the MA...I can't remember, but I think Britax says replace in a moderate or severe crash. Now it kind of comes to a parental decision as to whether or not you honestly believe the seat is safe.

How close is your DD to outgrowing the harness or the shell? The shell on the new version is a touch shorter than the older version. There are better harnessed seats out there for taller kids and ones that have better leg support for longer trips if a new purchase is in the works.

If you want a new FFing harnessed seat and are dedicating it to your DD, I'd look more toward a Frontier XT or a Nautilus. The Nauti's go on sale quite often for less than the $209 price tag TRU is offering the MA for. And, it will likely be the last seat you ever have to buy with harnessing to 65lbs, boostering after and a long expiration, especially if DC #2 isn't in the plan for a bit yet. And you're right...if DC #2 is planned for the future, the new regulations will likely be in place by then.

But, thats just my :twocents:

mommycat

Do check the manual - I have a feeling that the US Britaxes say moderate-severe but that Canadian was replace after any? Not comfortable saying one way or the other since I didn't experience the crash and it's not my child.

I would probably return the new MA and get a combination seat like Melissa suggested. If you can still find one in stock and the rollback is still on, Walmart has (had?) the Nauti on sale for $129.97 (!!!) - the one I picked up was a late 2010 DOM. The only reason for not doing the combo would be if DD still falls asleep a lot and might have issues with headflop. Combos tend to sit more upright and the Nauti has the headrest which pushes some kids' heads forward.

skydancer

Thanks for the input. I think I will definitely take the MA back and maybe look into a combo seat. I have been eying up a Frontier XT for some time now, so maybe this is my excuse to get one. I think I got caught up in the excitement of the sale and didn't really stop to consider if a new MA best seat for us right now.

Our manual says to replace the seat after a moderate to severe crash, although the Britax Canada website now says "after any crash". Also, if I go by the criteria on the Britax USA website of what they consider a moderate to severe crash that would warrant replacing the seat, this one definitely doesn't qualify under those standards.

tam_shops

I'm in BC & here my seats have been replaced after any accident that requires anything beyond paint. I just asked ICBC for a letter stating that my seats were safe & they just explained the replacement procedure. No one is going to write you a letter like that...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC