Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

coat check, wool?

Ok, so I know fleece is and puffy coats are , but what about a wool coat? I guess this isn't discussed much because most children don't have wool coats.

I drove a friend's DD today and she was wearing a nice long dressy wool coat (long enough it didn't bunch under her when she sat or anything). I had to make the quick judgment on whether it was OK or not. To me the fabric seems tight knit and not very compressable, plus it is on the thin side, so I thought it was OK.

What would you have done?
    DD1: 14, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 10, LBTB, Harmony Youth Booster
    DD2: 6, Chicco KidFit, HBTB w/ SS

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: coat check, wool?

I think wool is ok, but thats just me. I would have done the same thing.
    Aiden Robert 9/16/08 32# 38" ERF in a MTcowseat) in an '01 Odyssey

Carseat Crazy

Well, there's knit or felted wool and there's wool shearling or wool-filled. The first two won't compress much, the last two will.

We try to wear wool over synthetics.

Senior Community Member jessi f's Avatar

Masyn has a cute little wool peacoat. I dont have to loosen her straps at all to fit her in her seat so I've been leaving it on her.
    mommy to J ~ 7 and M ~ 4 riding in our '09 Mazda5

I've wondered this too. Gage has a hand-me-down wool coat. I would have to adjust the straps to accommodate it, but it is really dense and I can't imagine that it'd compress much.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Yeah, I think it might be called a peacoat. That sounds familiar. Wool knit is like a sweater? Then I would say this was felted wool. It was not shearling, I have an idea of what that is, and it was not filled - there was nothing to be filled.
    DD1: 14, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 10, LBTB, Harmony Youth Booster
    DD2: 6, Chicco KidFit, HBTB w/ SS

I can't see how that is different than a sweatshirt or fleece. It's one layer and isn't filled with anything so it shouldn't compress at all.

If it's fitted to the child it would probably be ok (hard to say without seeing it of course). The girls just got long wool peacoats, and it works well with DD1 since it fits her snugly, but DD2's is too big and there's too much extra fabric bunching.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    If it's fitted to the child it would probably be ok (hard to say without seeing it of course). The girls just got long wool peacoats, and it works well with DD1 since it fits her snugly, but DD2's is too big and there's too much extra fabric bunching.
    I think THAT is the key to the whole coat issue--the fit. Even my infant's thin fleece suit that barely fits her (very snug!) bunches around her belly when she's sitting and can affect the fit of the harness if I'm not meticulous about arranging it.

I have a wool coat (pea coat construction) and I do not worry about compression but I DO know that the thickness/sturdiness of the material makes it stick out from my body and hold the seat belt too far away. My 2 yo has a wool coat similar to a pea coat style and I've always taken it off just because I would have to loosen the harness but would be unsure if the coat was creating gaps around his body. I hope that made sense, words are not coming to me right now!

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about compression of the wool itself, but I'd worry about the air gaps the heavy material creates (obviously the air would "compress"). Doesn't mean I wouldn't try it, but I'd be aware of the possibility.
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT