GAH

ThreeBeans

I emailed a Craigslist poster in my area VERY politely and kindly to let her know the carseat she was advertising was expired. I gave her some suggestions (destroy it, donate it to a tech for training). I got back a diatribe about how she's never seen a study PROVING a six year carseat was less safe than a new one, and that the expiration dates were a myth because of 'rampant consumerism' and toys r us wanting people to buy more carseats :rolleyes: :confused:

:mad:

ADS

trailrunnermom

It amazes me how so many of these angry Craigslist posters seem to share the same conspiracy theory about how expiration dates are just a ploy to get people to buy more carseats. I wonder if they throw out their expired milk? Maybe the dairy farmers are just forcing us to buy more!? LOL. :) :)

Anyway, a big thank-you to you for at least trying to notify the seller -- maybe the next one will take it better!

broken4u05

Maybe you can send her the link of the crash test of the seat that was 10 year old? I don't have the link because i am not on my computer but i know someone else does. But in the video the child comes out of the seat.

Loves2sing

I'm sorry that people suck so much. I think you are an amazing person for trying to educate her in the right way. I hope you flagged her seat now, because now is the time to do it! Just know that there are people out here, especially on this site that appreciate the effort you went to!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Some people jsut choose not to educate themselves on the issue, and when they do, they think the entire world is plotting against them to take all of their money....what can yah do?:rolleyes:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'd have a hard time not asking sarcastically: "can I use your child as the crash test dummy to prove it then?" :rolleyes: :whistle: I *would* send a link to the expired carseat crash test which shows the dummy being ejected :eek: :(

Kellyr2

My parents don't buy it either. They think it's all about money, and that plastic just doesn't break down like that, especially not that quickly.

Loves2sing

If people think that plastic doesn't expire, just tell them to call ANY optical store to ask what a downfall about plastic frames can be. The number one answer will be they can be difficult to fit, but #2, THEY GET VERY BRITTLE OVER THE SPAN OF ABOUT 4-7 YEARS!! And those are only plastic frames on your face. Shouldn't the safety of our children be more important?!

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Another case in point: we use the same grade of plastic for our TEMPORARY post-operative prostheses (to help amputations heal faster than traditional cast) & they're only approved to be used for about 30-90 days....

Loves2sing

Exactly my point!! But those evil car seat companies are just out to get all of us! They add special chemicals in every plastic manufacturing plant to weaken the products, so we have to buy more carseats!!! :whistle: Crazy!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC