Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marathon Prices

Marathon Prices

Has anyone every seen the Marathon go on sale for less than $299. I've seen a few websites that say "On sale $299.99 from $349.99" but Toys R Us sells them for $299.99 regular price
    Amanda
    Mom to: B: 6 years | K: 3 years

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

Re: Marathon Prices

Never. But make sure you're only charged the one tax on it.

Britax is a bigtime price-fixer. They'll revoke merchant rights if they catch them advertising at below authorized prices. I believe the only reason that it went down to $299 from $349 is actually because when they were introduced to the Canadian market, the dollar was around 1.4 whereas it's around 1.12 now...so in reality, the price is practically the same based on what the stores are paying.

-Nicole.

Quote Originally Posted by QuassEE View Post
    Never. But make sure you're only charged the one tax on it.
    Doesn't it depend on which province you live in or buy in determine how much you pay in taxes? I am pretty sure I had to pay 2 taxes on my seats here in MB and only one when I bought my MA in BC.

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

She's in BC. BC merchants are really bad for applying the PST on PST exempt items and trying to get away with it. I bought some cloth diapers at Sears and they did this to me, but since I had bought other items I didn't notice until I got home. When I called them, they said come in for a refund. I asked them if they weren't going to change it on their computer--NOPE. I just went back this past weekend, 4 years later, and they're still charging PST on them! All personal protective equipment should be PST free in British Columbia, carseats included.

-N.

Very interesting on the PST. I'll definitely make sure of that. Helps with the price a little bit.
    Amanda
    Mom to: B: 6 years | K: 3 years

Senior Community Member BudgieStew's Avatar

Ontario also does not charge PST on car seats and boosters.
    *DD N 5 Years 46 inches/44 lbs FF in a Marathon/Parkway SG/Turbo Booster/ and Harnessed Nautilus
    *DS H 7 Years 49 inches/51 lbs in a Monterey and Turbo Booster
    and a Harmony and Radian as back up seats

I am more than a little cheesed about the Ma price. I paid $350 a year ago for mine, and I could have done something else with that $50, like new shoes maybe? LOL! The price is totally worth the seat though. You might want to check out if there are any other retailers selling the MA in your area, as I found the material on the TRU MA a little rough. I have seen, and own much softer covers. Just a thought.
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

Moderator - CPST Instructor

The Britax rep confirmed last winter that MSRP of the MA had dropped to $299 due to lower exchange rate. The RA dropped too.

There are rarely sales on them, however, if you are near a Bonnie Togs (Ontario), I sometimes see them go on sale ($269ish). Those that still have $349 and then sometimes have special price of $299 is probably doing a bit of 'shady' business by letting people think they get a great sale when that's the MSRP anyway.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Quote Originally Posted by hipmaman View Post
    Those that still have $349 and then sometimes have special price of $299 is probably doing a bit of 'shady' business by letting people think they get a great sale when that's the MSRP anyway.
    I have seen them listed at $349 and it says On Sale for $299. Since the price fixed I haven't seen them higher then the $299 even though it says some say it is a sale (ie. TJ Kids)

I bought our Britax Marathons for $299, from Alberta.