Should we return the seat?

nevaehsmommy

My mom purchased a scenera to transport some of the grandbabies. My niece who just turned two rides in a booster with her mom. I told my mom that it was illegal and she promptly bought the harnessed seat.

Mom has complained about the seat from the get go. She said the harness adjuster was to hard to get tight. I was sure she had to be exaggerating. So I took the seat out and had a look. Well the harness was intertwined with the latch. So to prevent further issues, I just removed the latch system. None of our cars are equipped with latch/tether. The car seat is also used RFing. So I reinstalled and it is VERY difficult to tighten. You have to pull up on the back of the harness, near the yoke.

Mom was even more irritated. So I turned the car seat FFing and still you can not get the seat to tighten. We have had two sceneras and this is the most difficult one by far. Personally I would have a fit if we had to use this seat daily.

So what do you think? Call the company? Return to walmart? Deal with it?

ADS

mish

I would call. Be prepared to send photos/videos. Actually, I would probably take a video and offer to send it to them. Have you taken it to a tech? Not because I don't think you know what you are doing, but because you can say, "I took it to a tech, they can't even do it."

nevaehsmommy

I would call. Be prepared to send photos/videos. Actually, I would probably take a video and offer to send it to them. Have you taken it to a tech? Not because I don't think you know what you are doing, but because you can say, "I took it to a tech, they can't even do it."

No I have not taken it to the local tech. I hate to say bad things about techs but....I dont trust her. She tried to FF my other niece in her 3-1 seat. She STILL has not met the minimum req. to FF yet. We had to insist that she keep the seat RFing.

After I take the video how do I go about getting it on the internet. My camera has video ability but I dont know about sound

mish

No I have not taken it to the local tech. I hate to say bad things about techs but....I dont trust her. She tried to FF my other niece in her 3-1 seat. She STILL has not met the minimum req. to FF yet. We had to insist that she keep the seat RFing.

After I take the video how do I go about getting it on the internet. My camera has video ability but I dont know about sound

I can certainly see how you wouldn't trust someone in that situation.

If you get it on the computer I'm pretty sure you can upload it to photobucket.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Normally I'd bet that the harness was still tangled up or mis-routed in some way, but I'm pretty sure you know what you're looking at. Plus, the Scenera isn't that hard to re-route the harness. So I'm wondering if the adjustment mechanism was damaged somehow from being yanked on when it was still tangled with the LATCH strap?

nevaehsmommy

Normally I'd bet that the harness was still tangled up or mis-routed in some way, but I'm pretty sure you know what you're looking at. Plus, the Scenera isn't that hard to re-route the harness. So I'm wondering if the adjustment mechanism was damaged somehow from being yanked on when it was still tangled with the LATCH strap?

Yeah I did take it apart and look for that. I also pulled on the strap that attaches to the yoke and the button you push down to tighten and it is beyond stiff. I had to use the same amount of exertion to tighten or loosen as I use to get the car seat attached with the seat belt. Every time we try to loosen the harness we ruin the install of the seat. We have three different babies use this seat. They all have similar torsos, but varied weights

I was afraid that something HAD happened when it was all tangled as well. Nothing looks abnormal no fraying on the harness. Screws are still tight on the button.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC