NB fit in original model radian 65?

calebsmama03

I am expecting #3 in April and trying to decide what to do re: car seats (isn't everybody!!). I have a DS (7, but will turn 8 before baby is due) in a Radian 65 (original model, purchased when he was 4, so 2007 - need to check exact mfr date but was the same yr) and a DD (5) in a radian (newer model with side wings - I'm so bad with the "official" names!). DD has years of growth so will stay in her "fancy pink seat". DS is getting close to outgrowing his 65. Could last maybe another 6 mos or so. We had a snugride from DS which is now expired and I don't think I'm going to buy another infant carrier seat. I can't justify the cost knowing this is likely our last baby. I use a sling when out and can just keep the "bucket" from the old one in the trunk for if I need it at a restaurant, etc. I'm debating putting DS in a booster of some sort and using his radian for the baby from birth on since the radian still has a few years before it expires. His didn't come with the NB insert that I recall, but I can swap in the one from DD's. That gives me some time to decide if there is something better we should use for the baby. Is there any reason this would NOT be a good idea with a NB?

As for fit in the car, we're car shopping - probably for a used mini van or Ford Freestyle because neither of our cars will fit 3 across - even putting DS in a belt with a vest is a really difficult/tight fit and only suitable for a few miles due to comfort.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
I'd definitely use the Radian from birth if it installs well in your vehicle. I can't see a reason not to. It even still has 4 more years before it expires if it was manufactured in 2007 (Radians last 8 years).

christineka

I'd plan on it, but have a backup plan in case baby doesn't fit in the radian. I tried my baby out in it and I couldn't get the seat tight enough for her.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I liked the fit on my wee one... hopefully this link goes right to it, if not, it's the first in the album http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5356814849351116626
If you ended up with a much smaller baby than that, the Onboard 35 or Snugride 30 are terrific and usually not too expensive, so they are good choices for the emergency back up seat list (SR30 is even super narrow at the base/foot end, and might work 3-across reasonably ok).

mish

I think that sounds like a great idea. You might start booster training soon though. You don't want to just spring that on your oldest.

aeormsby

And if you don't have it from one of your seats. I believe the extra infant inserts that come with some of the Radians can be purchased from Sunshine kids and used with any of the Radian models.

calebsmama03

Oh yay! Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like this is a good plan then. I'll just have to find the radian install thread from years ago to see which cars it didn't work RF and be sure to bring it with us when we look at cars.

And I didn't realize Radians were good for 8 years. I didn't pay attention since when we got it we figured we just needed 4-5 years out of it for DS before he'd go to a booster.

Now I just need to decide which booster to get for him, but that's another thread and more research. Most of his friends have been riding in belts only for close to 2 years now (and didn't change back even tho CO law changed in July to require boosters till 8) so he'll be excited to "move up" and is pushing hard for a backless but I'm thinking HBB so his sister can use it, too in a pinch.

As for a backup for the NB, I'll ask around since I bet I could borrow a bucket for a month or 2 if the baby is small enough to not fit well in the radian. Check one thing off the "TO DO" list for this neglected little baby! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC