Question Base vs no base

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That completely depends what you mean, and who you ask.

Do you mean an infant seat with a base that stays in the car, and you lift the carrier portion out? There will be those who say yes, infant seats tend to fit infants better and so should be used. There will be those who say no, the risk (however small) of the seat separating from the base is too much.

Do you mean something like a Britax that sits up high on a base? In which case you get people saying yes, it's safe, it's passed testing just like any other seat. You get people who say no, the physics seems to make more sense leaning toward a seat that sits lower in the car.

How old is the child for which you are asking?

Wendy

andre149

Everything Wendy said :) I also wanted to add that at least in my experience some people feel more comfortable with infant seats with a base that stays in the car because that way they don't have to re-install the seat every time they choose to carry baby inside in the seat. If you could clarify a little bit that would be great though :)

luvsviola

I think it also depends on how careful you are at installing your seat every time, if you are referring to infant seats.

For many people, a base is safer because it can be installed correctly once, and left, whereas without a base, you are installing the seat every single time it is placed in your car. For me personally, this is the case. I am much more likely to forget to lock the seatbelt if I was using an infant seat without a base.

However, a seat without a base that is perfectly installed has one less thing to fail in a crash. But for many of us, if we are truly honest with ourselves, we are not going to have a perfect installation EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. So in that case, most of the time, a base is safer.

Kat_Momof3

I agree... for infant seats in general, I tend to think it is safer to use them with the base because you aren't repeatedly installing/uninstalling them. For the spare cars, though, it then depends on how often the infant seat is in that car, because for once/twice a month, it wouldn't be worth it to buy a spare base, but for once a week or more often, it's definitely worth it, unless you are really sure that it will be properly installed each and every time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC