Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

How to set up car seat check event

I've been frustrated since my son started preschool this year by the car seat misuse I see at his school. There are 2 year olds in backless boosters, kids in expired seats, kids wearing puffy jackets with loose harness straps, etc. I talked to the director a few weeks ago and she gave me permission to type up a flyer with car seat safety advice on it. I included the law for my state, how to properly install/use a seat, not to use puffy coats, Bundle Mes, etc, that it is safer to ERF and harness to 5 or 6 years old, etc. I sent it to her last night and she emailed me today to tell me that she liked it and would be handing it out to parents. Yeah! I know it won't change all the parents, but hopefully it will help some to keep their kids safer!

The director also asked if it would be possible to set up a car seat check event at the school. I am not a tech so I can't do one. How can I get one set up? I live in the Denver Metro area. I found one tech in my area (are you out there??) but need to find more. Do you know of any other techs in my area? Any other advice? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by crunchierthanthou; 01-18-2011 at 12:34 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: How to set up car seat check event

The logistics behind setting up a community event are so complex that it would probably be better for you to look up your local SafeKids coalition and see if they are running an event any time soon. Then you could just provide that to the director, so she can give that information to interested parents.
    -Mandy
    CPST-I, Special Needs trained
    Mommy to two boys
    A ~ 9 years, 70 lbs ~ Boostered in Chicco KidFit & Graco SafetySurround
    K ~ 6 years, 45 lbs ~ Boostered in Parkway SG & Harnessed in Frontier85

Carseat Crazy

I looked at the Safe Kids website and didn't see any events coming up in my area, but I will look more. Another option that I was thinking of is if I can have a CPST come to the school to give a presentation with demos on how to use seats correctly. Would that be a better option?

You might want to call the Safe Kids Denver Coordinator 720-777-4807 (I believe a gal named Erin Baum is the one at that number) to see if they have any information about upcoming events that might not be posted on their website. It looks like there are several upcoming in Colorado Springs, but not Denver that I can see.

Also, you can look up CPST's in your area to see if there are any willing to do a presentation.

ETA: The one limitation for the in-school demos with a CPST is that parents inevitably say "Will you please come check my seat?!" because they learn something in the presentation and realize they are doing something horribly wrong, LOL. It's hard for a tech to be there and be hands off with the individual problems, because they know the kid will have to ride home that way. But if they don't come prepared to do seat checks, they really cannot do seat checks.
    -Mandy
    CPST-I, Special Needs trained
    Mommy to two boys
    A ~ 9 years, 70 lbs ~ Boostered in Chicco KidFit & Graco SafetySurround
    K ~ 6 years, 45 lbs ~ Boostered in Parkway SG & Harnessed in Frontier85

Quote Originally Posted by chimpmandee View Post
    You might want to call the Safe Kids Denver Coordinator 720-777-4807 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              720-777-4807      end_of_the_skype_highlighting (I believe a gal named Erin Baum is the one at that number) to see if they have any information about upcoming events that might not be posted on their website. It looks like there are several upcoming in Colorado Springs, but not Denver that I can see.

Also, you can look up CPST's in your area to see if there are any willing to do a presentation.

ETA: The one limitation for the in-school demos with a CPST is that parents inevitably say "Will you please come check my seat?!" because they learn something in the presentation and realize they are doing something horribly wrong, LOL. It's hard for a tech to be there and be hands off with the individual problems, because they know the kid will have to ride home that way. But if they don't come prepared to do seat checks, they really cannot do seat checks.
    That is exactly what I would do if someone presented me with all the things I did not know about car seat safety.

Maybe there will be a seat check that you can advertise with the school. Send flyers out and maybe then get parents that are really interested to come.
    A five stepper and a booster rider

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

I agree with Chimpmandee - contact your local Safe Kids and see if you can arrange something through them.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Carseat Crazy

I heard from a women who has successfully organized several car seat check events in my area. She sent me the contact info and website address for a man, Bill Flinchbaugh, who runs an organization that helps with CRS all over the area. He has worked with her to set up several events and has many contacts in the CPST world (I wouldn't be surprised if some of you know him or if he posts on here sometimes.) I will contact him tomorrow and see what he recommends.

Awesome! Sounds like you are going in the right direction and really, You are doing something awesome. If one more kid goes home safely restrained it is worth it.

Great job!
    A five stepper and a booster rider

Carseat Crazy

Re: How to set up car seat check event UPDATE

I've been talking to people and checking around and it looks like we will be able to have a car seat event at my son's school next month! I was able to get in touch with Bill ( a CPST with 30 years experience with CPS) and he is helping me to set things up. He's going to get some techs from the local fire department district to come help him out. He's going to talk to parents, demonstrate how to use car seats properly, and check seats. If there are any techs in the Denver area that would like to help out, please send me a private message. I'm so glad that we'll be able to educate parents on car seat safety!

Also, the director of the school asked me to design a flyer advertising the event. Do any of you have any ideas?