How to set up car seat check event

ConnorsMommy

I've been frustrated since my son started preschool this year by the car seat misuse I see at his school. There are 2 year olds in backless boosters, kids in expired seats, kids wearing puffy jackets with loose harness straps, etc. I talked to the director a few weeks ago and she gave me permission to type up a flyer with car seat safety advice on it. I included the law for my state, how to properly install/use a seat, not to use puffy coats, Bundle Mes, etc, that it is safer to ERF and harness to 5 or 6 years old, etc. I sent it to her last night and she emailed me today to tell me that she liked it and would be handing it out to parents. Yeah! I know it won't change all the parents, but hopefully it will help some to keep their kids safer!

The director also asked if it would be possible to set up a car seat check event at the school. I am not a tech so I can't do one. How can I get one set up? I live in the Denver Metro area. I found one tech in my area (are you out there??) but need to find more. Do you know of any other techs in my area? Any other advice? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
The logistics behind setting up a community event are so complex that it would probably be better for you to look up your local SafeKids coalition and see if they are running an event any time soon. Then you could just provide that to the director, so she can give that information to interested parents.

ConnorsMommy

I looked at the Safe Kids website and didn't see any events coming up in my area, but I will look more. Another option that I was thinking of is if I can have a CPST come to the school to give a presentation with demos on how to use seats correctly. Would that be a better option?

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
You might want to call the Safe Kids Denver Coordinator 720-777-4807 (I believe a gal named Erin Baum is the one at that number) to see if they have any information about upcoming events that might not be posted on their website. It looks like there are several upcoming in Colorado Springs, but not Denver that I can see.

Also, you can look up CPST's in your area to see if there are any willing to do a presentation.

ETA: The one limitation for the in-school demos with a CPST is that parents inevitably say "Will you please come check my seat?!" because they learn something in the presentation and realize they are doing something horribly wrong, LOL. It's hard for a tech to be there and be hands off with the individual problems, because they know the kid will have to ride home that way. But if they don't come prepared to do seat checks, they really cannot do seat checks.

Baylor

You might want to call the Safe Kids Denver Coordinator 720-777-4807 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              720-777-4807      end_of_the_skype_highlighting (I believe a gal named Erin Baum is the one at that number) to see if they have any information about upcoming events that might not be posted on their website. It looks like there are several upcoming in Colorado Springs, but not Denver that I can see.

Also, you can look up CPST's in your area to see if there are any willing to do a presentation.

ETA: The one limitation for the in-school demos with a CPST is that parents inevitably say "Will you please come check my seat?!" because they learn something in the presentation and realize they are doing something horribly wrong, LOL. It's hard for a tech to be there and be hands off with the individual problems, because they know the kid will have to ride home that way. But if they don't come prepared to do seat checks, they really cannot do seat checks.

That is exactly what I would do if someone presented me with all the things I did not know about car seat safety.

Maybe there will be a seat check that you can advertise with the school. Send flyers out and maybe then get parents that are really interested to come.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I agree with Chimpmandee - contact your local Safe Kids and see if you can arrange something through them. :thumbsup:

ConnorsMommy

I heard from a women who has successfully organized several car seat check events in my area. She sent me the contact info and website address for a man, Bill Flinchbaugh, who runs an organization that helps with CRS all over the area. He has worked with her to set up several events and has many contacts in the CPST world (I wouldn't be surprised if some of you know him or if he posts on here sometimes.) I will contact him tomorrow and see what he recommends.

Baylor

Awesome! Sounds like you are going in the right direction and really, You are doing something awesome. If one more kid goes home safely restrained it is worth it.

Great job!

ConnorsMommy

Re: How to set up car seat check event UPDATE

I've been talking to people and checking around and it looks like we will be able to have a car seat event at my son's school next month! I was able to get in touch with Bill ( a CPST with 30 years experience with CPS) and he is helping me to set things up. He's going to get some techs from the local fire department district to come help him out. He's going to talk to parents, demonstrate how to use car seats properly, and check seats. If there are any techs in the Denver area that would like to help out, please send me a private message. I'm so glad that we'll be able to educate parents on car seat safety!

Also, the director of the school asked me to design a flyer advertising the event. Do any of you have any ideas?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC