Nautilus Install in 97 4Runner

U

Unregistered

Hi All~

We're about to have our second baby and I have switched from our '98 Forester to our '97 Toyota 4Runner. DH is really good about car seat install, but when he went out to install our daughter's Nautilus in the 4Runner, he came back an hour later frustrated. She is almost 5, on the second from to shoulder height (not sure her exact height but this is the correct spot) and about 45lbs.

Anyway, the seat seems really reclined so not sure what we need to do to remedy that. Also, he could not get the locking clip on in a tight position. I am having a hard time figuring out if this truck has rear tether anchors, but he did find some sort of bolt thing back there. The seat is sloshing around, and I'm having to get my mom to cart dd around in her vehicle right now!

When she was born we went to two car seat technitions in the area who were just ok. I was not really that impressed with the help (or lack of) they gave me. I'm hoping some of you might have some suggestions.

Thank you!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I can't give you specific install tips in the 4Runner, but I believe it should have locking seatbelts that do not require using a locking clip because locking seatbelts have been mandatory since roughly 1996 for vehicles in the U.S. market. Here's a link to a very helpful seatbelt type primer that can help you determine how the belts lock in the 4Runner: http://carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm That link also shows how to properly use a locking clip if it turns out your belts truly do not lock, but I think they should be locking in a '97 model. Also note that the locking clip is only intended to be used on a lap-shoulder seatbelt, and not on a lap-only seatbelt.

Unless your '97 4Runner was already retrofitted with top tether anchors at a Toyota dealership, it lacks factory equipped top tethers because it pre-dates the 2001 model year when Toyota first included factory equipped top tether anchors in the 4Runner. Your '97 4Runner should be retrofittable with top tether anchors per the LATCH manual. The instructions for retrofitting it with top tether anchors are supposed to be included in the car's owner's manual for Toyota models. Better still, there's a reduced cost tether anchor retrofit voucher program for pre-factory equipped Toyota (and Lexus) owners administered by SafetyBeltSafe USA for a $5 voluntary donation per tether anchor to cover administrative costs, and Toyota dealerships are supposed to honor the voucher(s). Details of the voucher program and an application form are online at http://www.carseat.org/Events_Media/0_ToyotaIP.htm :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

Thank you- I'll wait and see if anyone has anything specific to say, but that list is great. I found one person that has been a tech since 2010 about 10 miles from me, and one since 2004 about 25 miles from me.

Pixels

Your vehicle shouldn't need a locking clip. The belts should lock automatically at the latchplate. Just buckle, tighten, and check for movement.

This vehicle can have tether anchors added but does not come with them.

As for the recline, is the Nautilus in recline mode?

U

Unregistered

The problem is that the seat is SO sloppy- if I pull on it in any direction it will move 6" to a foot. We do have a teather anchor back there so someone before us must have had it installed I guess. The seat is not in recline, but the truck seats naturally recline a lot. I'm going to try and find one of the two techs listed here that are close to me and see what they think. I went to the hospital here 5 years ago and got a pretty good install on my dd's infant seat, but she didn't really show me how to do it which I now know is a no-no. Thank you for the replies!

U

Unregistered

And thank you Jean- I was replying the same time you were yesterday and did not see your post until today!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi again, were you able to confirm that it's a retrofitted top tether anchor using the 4Runner's manual? Fingers crossed that's the case, but if not, I want to strongly encourage you to double check the vehicle's owner's manual regarding the tether anchor locations for retrofitting to verify whether you have an actual retrofitted tether anchor in place. Sometimes cargo anchors in SUVs/vans can be mistaken for top tether anchors (and vice versa) and it's important to double check that if you haven't already confirmed it via the owner's manual. And no worries on the cross posting, happens all the time on a busy forum, and you're very welcome. :)

Pixels

The seat moving 6 inches is definitely a no-no. It must move less than an inch at the belt path. Putting the Nautilus in recline mode may help it match your vehicle's seat better, though I don't know that it will take care of a six inch problem.

Meeting up with a tech in real life will be your best bet to figure out what's going on.

Lilsid

I just sold my 1999 4 Runner I had it for 4 years and have installed lots of car seat in it. I had trouble too with the Nautilus. The seat in the 4 Runners are very sloped and they can make car seat installs hard. They also make all car seats out grown by height quicker, because the child ends up being reclined.

So back to the Nautilus, I ended up taking mine back. It just did not fit in the 4 runner at all. I even took it to a tech. I can say all the Britax seats I have tried do fit great though. I also got a great tight install with a Radian FF.

You do not need a locking clip the seat belts lock. I had to install 2 Tether anchors in the back one on each side but there is not one that goes in the middle. Make sure the anchors you are using are tether anchors not cargo tie downs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC