Insurance not wanting to replace booster seats

jdubsm

Honestly I hate fighting with insurance companies. We were in a crash on Christmas Eve. We were stopped at a stop light and were rear ended by a big truck going about 20-25 mph. Our Odyssey held up well in the crash and had about $1500 worth of damage. It's been fixed and the other guys insurance provided a rental van for us. Three of us have been to the doctor for whip lash so according to the NHTSA all seats need to be replaced(2 Parkways and one Turbobooster).

The insurance company is telling me they only replace child restraints with a five point harness and not a booster seat. I've sent them the information from both manufacturers and the NHTSA and they want something that says it is required and not recommended. I did ask him if he would send me something in writing saying that the boosters were perfectly fine and they would take liability if something happened in a future crash but he didn't want to do that.

Any advice on where I can go from here?

ADS

TerisBoys

Are you dealing with your insurance company, or the other driver's?

I'd call whichever you aren't dealing with and see what they say.

jdubsm

I'm dealing with his insurance company right now but have a message in to the claims department of mine. Hopefully they will just pay it for me and then go after the other insurance company. This shouldn't be such a big issue.

How many parents don't know better and go off the insurance companies recommendation?

Baylor

I'm dealing with his insurance company right now but have a message in to the claims department of mine. Hopefully they will just pay it for me and then go after the other insurance company. This shouldn't be such a big issue.

How many parents don't know better and go off the insurance companies recommendation?

Probably a lot. The manual says they have to be replaced than they do.. That is that.

Mom2FiveGirls

Maybe try calling the car seat manufacturers and seeing if they would be willing to send you something saying the seats need to be replaced?

Artemis777

I think that you should ask to speak with the claims rep's supervisor. Just reasonably explain the situation to the supervisor, and keep going up the line until you get what you want. If that doesn't work, I would write a well worded letter to the attention of the CEO about it. Point out how much the booster seat costs versus the potential loss of premium caused by their poor claims service. They may have already spent more money discussing the merits of covering the booster with you than the cost of the seat itself, and I would point that out to them. What insurance company is it, BTW?

jdubsm

Oh I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall here! I'm so frustrated. The insurance company is Travelers and they are saying that it's recommended to replace them but not required by state law so they will not pay. He said that Idaho State law only requires them to replace five point harness seats. He said "Of course Graco and the other companies are going to say to replace them. They make more money." The claim has gone to a manager but I'm not allowed to speak to one yet until they've looked over everything. WTF?!? He also said if I can take pictures and show him the damage on the seat then they will cover them.

Arguing with him for 20 minutes has taken out the joy of the three new booster seat boxes sitting in my living room.

Oh I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall here! I'm so frustrated. The insurance company is Travelers and they are saying that it's recommended to replace them but not required by state law so they will not pay. He said that Idaho State law only requires them to replace five point harness seats. He said "Of course Graco and the other companies are going to say to replace them. They make more money." The claim has gone to a manager but I'm not allowed to speak to one yet until they've looked over everything. WTF?!? He also said if I can take pictures and show him the damage on the seat then they will cover them.

Arguing with him for 20 minutes has taken out the joy of the three new booster seat boxes sitting in my living room.
we have travelers home owners insurance.. (esurance for car insurance) they were great when a tornado in Bridgeport CT hit and ripped our back door off and broke a window... and our patio furniture flew across the yard and was destroyed.. cut us a check right there.. can you talk to a manager or higher up?

jdubsm

I'm glad that branch of Travelers was so helpful. They have been anything but that with me in regards to the booster seats.

I talked with my adjuster through my insurance(Metlife) today and they will be issuing me a check and getting reimbursed from Travelers. She said that she would never fight an issue over child restraints. Saving a few dollars was not worth putting a child's life at risk.

Artemis777

I'm glad that your insurance company is willing to subrogate for such a small amount. I'm surprised that Travelers would even bother arguing over such a small amount.

Pixels

I'm glad your insurance is taking care of it. AFAIK, only a few states have laws that specifically require insurance companies to replace seats after a crash - California and Illinois, IIRC. However, the insurance company should restore you to the condition you were in before the crash. Before the crash, you had a van that wasn't crumpled. The insurance company pays for the work to fix the damage to the van. Before the crash, you had child restraints that were legal to use. The insurance company should pay to replace them. Due to the proper use clause in the law, it is illegal to use crashed boosters.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC