Potty training and car seats..

Baylor

Anyone have any tricks? We are not using diapers except to sleep and no pull ups. just real underwear.. any ideas how to protect the seat without compromising safe fit?

ADS

moxy

My son just recently stopped wearing diapers so when we leave the house he wears a cover for cloth diapers over his underwear. It saves the seat should he have an accident but isn't going to absorb it all like a pull up would. Seems to be the ideal solution for us.

hrice

I folded a thin kitchen towel in half and placed it where it didn't interfere with the hip/crotch straps. This may not be reccomended but I figured it couldn't be worse than bulky cloth diapers. I have also used a piddle pad. Am I terrible?:eek:

Edited to add that my CD remark was not in response to pp. I cloth diaper :)

ninejr

I made the parental decision to get a piddle pad made by summer infant (the regular one, never tried the plus). It is very thin so I wasn't concerned with the harness being too loose. I think the biggest concern would be that it would slip, it isn't attached to the seat in anyway. I was glad to have it as we did need it about 3 times during potty training. We don't use it anymore unless we are going to be in the car for longer than an hour or so.
Edit to add: I see that your son is in a Nautilus also - I also tried the one made by Sunshine kids (dry seat or something like that) and it did not fit well in the Nautilus and did not fully protect the seat (her car seat still got peed on, even with the dry seat thing in it)

crunchierthanthou

puppy pads, or chux if you have them. You can use the Sunshine Kids piddle pad with Radians. Ds was newly potty trained when we went on a 3 week road trip. I put a cloth diaper behind him, though we never ended up needing it. Like someone above, I figured it wasn't any more fabric than if he was actually wearing the diaper. It's probably not completely proper, but they don't compress much and I made sure that it didn't interfere with the harness at all.

amylynne01

When we were first PTing, it was naked or undies only at home, pullups when we left the house. Once she got the hang of going at home, it was undies for short trips (less than 15 minutes driving), and I made sure I knew where the potties were wherever we went. Now we're up to undies for trips up to an hour driving plus a stop at the restroom wherever we go. She wears pullups for naps and bedtime.

You probably already thought of this, but don't forget spare pants and underwear when you leave the house! :)

momtoo3

I used a waterproof crib pad that was like a thick flannel. I cut it and notched out big slots for the crotch strap and hip pads. It stayed in place and did not interfere with the harness. It is also thinner than a diaper. I guess I need to get another one since we too are potty training and will hopefully be able to leave the house in undies soon, or not:rolleyes:.

jjordan

I used a waterproof crib pad that was like a thick flannel. I cut it and notched out big slots for the crotch strap and hip pads. It stayed in place and did not interfere with the harness. It is also thinner than a diaper. I guess I need to get another one since we too are potty training and will hopefully be able to leave the house in undies soon, or not:rolleyes:.

I have done this. I've also put a prefold in the bottom of the carseat, and sort of sat the child in the prefold almost as if he/she were wearing it (so it came up through the crotch and offered some protection for the crotch strap). Like others have said, it was no more bulk than if the child had been wearing the diaper.

icnee

I have done alot of what others have said already, but with number 5 I just really didnt want to deal with all of that so I put a diaper on him when we left the house until he was going to thepotty all on his own at home with out needing to be reminded.

Now I just make sure he pees before we leave and I will bring him to the potty every hour or so, or I will ask him if he has to go and now he is some times just telling me. I do pack an extra change of cloths and a hand towel to put under him if he pees in the seat until we get home then I can wash it, just in case. Thank fully he has only peed in it once and we were driving home and he fell asleep. if I had remembered to take him to the potty before leaving it probably would not have happend.

When you begine this if he is peeing in it alot then it just may be too soon for him not that your doing anything wrong, all kids can do it in there own time.
Good Luck!

Baylor

He is doing pretty good. We are on day 3 and he has had only a few accidents and mainly under Dh's watch...

for the time being I am just making him go before we go out and then putting him in training pants. Cloth inside plastic outside. He hates them so I hope he will realize if he stays dry he does not have to wear them! I don't want to put pull up or diapers on him because he will just go in them. It is what he is used to.

Thanks for all the advice! Never thought of a puppy pad!

Last edited:

Murphy's Law

I did get the sunshine kids piddle pad - but it has never gotten peed on. For whatever reason, both of my kids never happened to have accidents in the car. Perhaps the novelty of pulling over to use the potty (we always carried a little one with us) was enough motivation to get them to ask to go.

sunnymw

i know inhishands birth supply sells chux pads for $0.40 apiece, sam's club has them too. not sure how comfortable i would be with some puppy pads as they have chemicals to attract the pup to use them.

oddly jake never had an accident in a seat and i never used anything. guess i got lucky!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC