Maxi Cosi Mico and Sante Fe

canukanu

I have a 2010 Sante Fe (Canadian) and I am trying to figure out what car seat to buy. Currently we are looking at the Maxi Cosi Mico car seat and I was wondering if anyone has one of these in their Sante Fe. Both my wife and myself are tall so we drive with our seats all the way back, is this a problem with this vehicle/seat combination?

Thanks!

ADS

amyd

I'd personally only buy a Mico if you are absolutely in love with a stroller that only accepts that particular seat. To be entirely honest with you, it's a royal pain in the you-know-what to install the base in many vehicles. I'm sure it will go in, but there are other seats that will install more easily, cost you less money, and be useful for a longer period of time. Again, though, if it's the only one that fits the stroller you want & if you will not be taking the base in and out of your vehicle frequently, it will probably be fine. Just be aware that the initial installation might be a bit frustrating (or it may go in just fine...I have installed several, but none in a Santa Fe). Other than that, it's a fine seat and of course meets all the required Canadian standards so is as safe as any other seat on the market. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

canukanu

I have a friend of mine who is getting rid of the seat as his kid has just grown out of it (he lives 6 hours away, so I can't just grab it to check it out). It's exactly the right price as it's free and he bought it brand new 8 months agp. The stroller I have will fit it so I'm not worried about that either. I'm just concerned that some seats may/may not fit with the Sante Fe front seats in their furthest position back.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have a friend of mine who is getting rid of the seat as his kid has just grown out of it (he lives 6 hours away, so I can't just grab it to check it out). It's exactly the right price as it's free and he bought it brand new 8 months agp. The stroller I have will fit it so I'm not worried about that either. I'm just concerned that some seats may/may not fit with the Sante Fe front seats in their furthest position back.

How reclined do you normally have your front seats? If you have them pretty upright you'll have a lot more room for a seat behind you than if you have them all the way back on the tracks + reclined a good bit. A lot of people tend to drive with their seat more reclined than what they need it - which actually isn't safe for the driver or passenger either, so it might be something to consider in being able to get more room for an infant seat.

I brought up a picture of the 2010 Santa Fe on ebay motors. This one has a cloth interior and I'm not sure if that's what your's is or not, but the bigger issue when it comes to compatibility with the maxi cosi is the vehicle seat slope and the length of buckle stalks or depth of UAS anchors.

You're most likely going to want to put a carseat in the center seating position since it will have the least effect on the front seat passengers in that position. But in order to install the seat in the center, you'll have to do a seatbelt installation. And looking at the length of your buckle stalks, and being very familiar with an older model year interior, I can pretty much guarantee that the maxi cosi will not install tightly with the seatbelt.

If the seat will fit behind either the driver or the passenger, then you might have a chance with UAS - I don't know the depth of the UAS in the 2010 santa fe, so I can't say beyond doubt that it wouldn't fit, but looking at the slope of the seat - and there really isn't much to speak of, I'm really unsure if you would be able to get a tight install even using the lower anchors.

The Maxi Cosi unfortunately has some major compatibility issues with a lot of vehicles, and it's because of the way the belt path on the base is shaped. Basically the way the plastic is molded it creates big incompatibilities with buckle stalks - and even the adjuster mechanism on the UAS strap runs in to the same problem if the vehicle seat is flat enough to not need to adjust the foot on the base.

Are you able to go in to a store that carries it and try it out there before committing?

Otherwise I'd suggest giving the Graco Snugride 35 a try - I know it installs really well with the seatbelt in the center there and depending on where your front seats sit and how they're reclined, it may sit right between the front seats without you needing to adjust them at all. The handle can be left up in the vehicle making it take up less room, and it has a built in lock-off which makes seatbelt installation really easy.

Another seat which might fit is the Sure Fit - it comes on the Eddie Bauer endeavor travel system, but is also sold as the complete air infant seat. I'm not sure if that one would be compatible with your stroller though - while I'd be pretty sure the Snugride 35 would be since Graco's are compatible with most of the higher end stroller brands.

I'd not even bother trying an evenflo. They take up a lot of room and the handle has to be down in the vehicle with an additional 1.5" of clearance behind it. I'm sure it would install fine in the center - but I doubt you'd get the clearance room to put the handle down without having to seriously adjust your front seats.

canadiangie

Funny enough, Toni just did a mico in a sante fe and was shocked that it went in fine in the middle seating position using a locking clip. She was all geared up to have a fight on her hands and apparently that wasn't the case. That said, it's still no fun having to use a locking clip; certainly there are easier seats on the market.

A word of advice since the mico in question is coming second hand, you need to be sure the seat isn't recalled. There was a significant recall on the mico at one point.

Hope that helps,

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
canadiangie said:
Funny enough, Toni just did a mico in a sante fe and was shocked that it went in fine in the middle seating position using a locking clip. She was all geared up to have a fight on her hands and apparently that wasn't the case. That said, it's still no fun having to use a locking clip; certainly there are easier seats on the market.

A word of advice since the mico in question is coming second hand, you need to be sure the seat isn't recalled. There was a significant recall on the mico at one point.

Hope that helps,

Wow, that really surprises me too. Maybe the seats are squishier/more sloped than they look? Do you know if it was fabric or leather interior and what year it was? (not sure if Santa fe is available in leather, but if it is it's often not as compressible as fabric)

Thanks for posting. I wouldn't have had much hope based on the picture combined with the older model year I'm familiar with.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC