Booster training

AmieRubyJonah

'booster training' is unheard of here in aus. NOBODY, and I mean nobody!! booster trains. Most people I know put their kids into cheap, foam, crap boosters at around 2yo.

DD went into a (top rated) booster at 5.5yrs. She had hit 18kg, which is the limit for Aussie 5pt harnesses. She couldnt sit in it. She leaned forward, pulled her arms out to get things etc. Was a nightmare.

3 months later, I imported a radian to keep her harnessed.

Now, approaching height limits, I don't know what to do next. She has JUST turned 6.

If I had my way, I'd import a frontier and keep her harnessed for a few more years. She wants a booster.

What should I do? and exactly what is 'booster teaining'? As in HOW? She UNDERSTANDS "you must not take arms out" etc, but she is quite ditzy (gets that from me!) and generally will just DO it without actually thinking about it, and then "oh no! Sorry I forgot!!!" iykwim??

ADS

natysr

When we started, we had both a booster and a harnessed seat installed in the car. (of course, you could only do this if she has not already outgrown the harness seat you have.)

We would start with only very short trips..like 1-2 mile trips to Target, Grocery, Library etc.

We would put Jordan in his booster and lock the seatbelt. When they feel a bit of resistence on the belt, it "reminds" them how to sit. If he started to lean out to the side or get wiggly etc., we would give him one reminder. If he did it again, we pulled over and he had to move into the harnessed seat.

After a while, when het got better, we would let him ride in the booster without the shoulderbelt "locked". Same deal.

He is currently 6 1/2 years old and has ADHD, but he is able to sit well for short trips. He rides in a harnessed seat full-time in one car, and a booster almost full-time in the other car. That is the car we typically used for school drop off/pick up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC