can I have some opinions on 2 seats

icnee

The Nautilus elite or regular and the FR85.

If you were going to buy one which one would it and why?

I will need one at some point and I would really like to hear your opinions.

ADS

Mae

Well, it depends. I like both. I prefer my Nautilus over my FR85, but only because I do. I don't know why, I just like it more. I guess I like the harness system, the chest clip, the install, etc. Don't get me wrong - the FR85 isn't bad, but the GN/GNE is just easier to me. I've had issues installing my FR85, but no issues with my GN. But that's just a car-to-car thing, as all installs vary from car-to-car.

Is the kid taller? Would they need that extra 1.5 inch of growing room that the FR85 provides? That's the only thing that would persuade me to get the FR85 over the GN. Otherwise, I'd save my money and get a GN/GNE, then a dedicated booster when the child is done with the harness.

Both seats make good boosters. The FR85 makes a better booster than the GN/GNE, but GN/GNE is still a decent booster. Were you planning on buying a dedicated booster, or not? That's another thing to consider.

If money is a problem, that's another thing. The FR85 is a bit more pricey. And honestly, unless you have a thing for the lockoffs, I don't find them necessary for the GN, either. I've never had a problem installing a GN. It's easy as pie. Like it was mentioned in your other thread, the GNE just has moveable headwings (they can expand in/out around the child's head), lockoffs, and more plush/padded covers. The only thing about the GN/GNE is it requires 100% of the base of the GN to be on the vehicle seat.

Honestly, it all just boils down to a few things - Does the kid need the extra room? Is money an issue? Are you planning on a dedicated booster, later on?

I'd just play and see which you like better. Some people say that the FR85 doesn't have headslump, but my kids don't have headslump in the GN, either. I think that's just a car-to-car, kid-to-kid, thing.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I was going to just say Nautilus but then Mae went and wrote a good, long, thorough, scholarly post.

I guess since she already did that there's no reason for me to rehash anything, so, yeah, Nautilus.

Mae

I was going to just say Nautilus but then Mae went and wrote a good, long, thorough, scholarly post.

I guess since she already did that there's no reason for me to rehash anything, so, yeah, Nautilus.

:ROTFLMAO:

icnee

I really dont know how tall Cadence is I spent about four years looking for her and then I found her last sping and I am fighting for custody of her now.

Naveah is tall but leggy and I will need one for her too at some point.

My van has very squishy seats and te boosters tip over in the third row and not as bad in the middle row.

I like the 2 smaller ones in the middle and naveah and my oldest are in the third row for now. When I have Cadence she will go back there with Naveah and My son may have to go in the front (which I dont like).

So my thinking was I would get 2 one of those seats for the older girls and then when the little one FF i could put them in the third row and the big girls in the second with the latch and tether for booster mode. so I would have the tipping problem. and they would out grow it
before they fit the seat belt.

emandbri

I really love my nautilus. Since the seats are so similar and most kids won't need the extra 1.5 inches of harness I'd say I like the nautilus better since it has cuter covers! lol I guess if I were into coomoo I'd say frontier. ;)

armywife12

I guess I'm the odd one out here but I LOVE my FN 85 so much more than I did our Nautilus. The install was much easier with the Nautilus but I hated how my son fit in it. He was about 2.5, 38-39 inches, and 37lbs when we had the seat and was using the third harness position. He had horrible head slump when he fell asleep and it was bad enough to where I just sold it. I have both versions of the FN and I love them so much more. My son never has head slump in them, they seem to fit him better overall, and they'll make better fitting boosters when the time comes. If it were my choice and I could afford either seat, I'd pick the FN85 any day.

ConnorsMommy

If price wasn't an issue, I would get the FR85 for my son too. I have played with both seats, and I like the Frontier better. My son has a tendency to sleep in the car so I worry about head slump for him if he was to use the Nautilus. Also, I have heard that the Frontier makes a great booster seat, but the Nautilus doesn't fit all kids well.
My son's current seat is a Marathon and I have been really happy with Britax seats. I know the Nautilus is way better than the ComfortSport, but I guess I have been scarred for life by the one we used to have (CS).:p

icnee

Thanks for your opinions, I wont be getting 2 at once so I would be able swing for the FR85, it would be about the same any how if I got the nauti and then later had to get a booster just split up.

I do like the covers on the nauti better.

If there is more thaughts I would be happy to hear them.

thanks every one

Baylor

Thanks for your opinions, I wont be getting 2 at once so I would be able swing for the FR85, it would be about the same any how if I got the nauti and then later had to get a booster just split up.

I do like the covers on the nauti better.

If there is more thaughts I would be happy to hear them.

thanks every one

I love the Nautilus. I have 2 of them. What I also love is that now we can latch them in booster mode and they don't tip in when installed like that! It made all the difference for me.

hesgimenez

If money were not an issue, I'd go with the FR85. We have the Nautilus and are happy with it. But at the time we bought it cost factored into our decision. DS had just outgrown by height his Decathalon. DS would have more growing room in the FR.

icnee

thanks everyone

its to bad we dont have may options the these types of seats there are tons of buckets and convertables.

StPaulMom

I tried out both the FR85 and the GNElite and went with the GNE. It installed more easily, I found it to be more user friendly, fit my tall/thin child really well and at $100 less than the FR85, it was a lot easier on the pocket book. Honestly, price wasnt the issue for me, because I'd actually planned on buying the FR85, but when I played with them both, I was much happier with the GN.
But if you have a child who is really big for their age, the FR85 might be a better bet.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We have the nautilus. It was dd's primary seat until she moved FT to a booster, and now my ds is in it. I liked it better with my dd, but I still love the nautilus.

I've never had my ds in a frontier, but have installed plenty. Definitely not as easy as the nauti, but not hard in the vehicles I've had it in.

They're both nice seats, but I sure love the nautilus and have never regretted getting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

leighi123

At least 3 of Levi's friends have the GN, and ALL of the kids have head slump issues in their seats (all in different cars, different size/shaped kids between 3-5yrs old).

My ds doesnt sleep in the car, but he does sleep on the plane, so I dont know how much of an issue it would be for him, but I know one of his friends' mom freaks out when his head slumps and will ride in the back seat to 'hold his head' or pull over and wait until he wakes up. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC