Do car seat manufacturers not get that people need to do 3 across?

dimsumdaddy

With the exception of Combi, none of the manufacturers seem to get that there are a LOT of people out there who need to do 3 across, want to do it safely, but do NOT have a van or monster SUV.

It really seems that they could design a 5 pt / booster that can accomplish this. It should have STRAIGHT sides that maximize the window of space. This would allow 3 of the same seat to be installed side by side safely. A good example of this is the Combi Corocco. But unfortunately this unit is for very young children.

Finally, I don't understand why so many chairs are not realizing that the lap belt used for non-LATCH install should have the "flat corner" where the belt pulls on the chair be the closest point to the belt anchors. This would make this position the natural "fall to" position when installing and would encourage and extremely snug install.

Anyone feel this way?

ADS

Mae

Well, most seats are so wide because, well, it's going to fit much larger children than the Combi Coccoro, so it needs to be wide enough for the child to be comfortable. ;)

The Radian is also 3 across friendly; It's slim and has smooth/flat sides. It's not a booster, but has a tall harness. Again, though, an 8yo (who would need a booster) wouldn't be comfortable in it.

dimsumdaddy

Well, most seats are so wide because, well, it's going to fit much larger children than the Combi Coccoro, so it needs to be wide enough for the child to be comfortable. ;)

The Radian is also 3 across friendly; It's slim and has smooth/flat sides. It's not a booster, but has a tall harness. Again, though, an 8yo (who would need a booster) wouldn't be comfortable in it.

I agree Radians are slim at the base, but I have 2 Radian 65's and the shoulder bolsters are wide enough to make side by side not work in our "compact" SUV.

I guess I have small children. Even my 7 yr old has lots of space on her sides.

I'm complaining about those "throne" looking seats. :):eek:

jjordan

I'm not sure what you mean by your description of a lap belt installation.

That said, lap-only belts are being phased out of cars, so as they get to be less common, if anything, carseat manufacturers will be considering them even less as they design new seats. Often lap-only belts make for very easy carseat installations even now, though.

jjordan

I agree Radians are slim at the base, but I have 2 Radian 65's and the shoulder bolsters are wide enough to make side by side not work in our "compact" SUV.

I guess I have small children. Even my 7 yr old has lots of space on her sides.

I'm complaining about those "throne" looking seats. :):eek:

The radians work very well when facing opposite directions, though.

And, surprisingly, often the combination of a "throne" seat and a radian takes up less space than two radians! You should give one a try! :)

cookie123

I for one am appalled at the size of the newer Evenflo convertible seats. Well, you'd think they could at least make one of each.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The problem is, there's not actually a HUGE market for 3-across. Most people who have more than 2 kids buy a minivan or SUV. Also, most people simply follow the law and not beyond (which of course are the bare minimums for safety) so that means a lot of people have two carseats with the oldest, legally non-boostered child using just the seat belt in the middle of those two seats.

Heck, we can't even get most vehicle manufacturers to put three full sets of LATCH in their sedans (never mind not even having enough top tether anchors in minivans). Or test LATCH to higher weight limits.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's rare -- not impossible, but rare -- that three-acrosses can't happen.

They sometimes can't happen cheaply, and they sometimes can't happen conveniently (kids "have to" RF or harness longer than they want, for instance), and they sometimes can't happen with the desired seats, but they can happen in almost every vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC