Any new booster options for small adults?

kphil

We've discussed this here several times in the past, and I was nearly at the point of getting a backless booster to use myself in my dh's car, but then I got pg and I actually fit his seatbelts a little better when pg. Now that I have occasion to ride in dh's car sometimes again, I'm back to feeling uneasy and looking to see what my options are. It looks like there are a number of boosters that would work for my weight, but it's hip room that is likely to be the main factor. The problem in his car is that he has rigid belt stalks that are attached to the seat, and the belt stalk sticks out past my lap. So, there's no way to adjust the seat to make the belt sit against me on the buckle side--the rigid stalk holds it away from my body. I'm very uncomfortable with the safety of that.

So, any recommendations for someone 5'3" and ~110? This would be only for when I'm a passenger in his car (I'm more uneasy about using one when driving--which I very rarely do in his car--since it might put me closer to the steering wheel). The seat could be stored in his trunk for backup for my oldest in a pinch, too (she rides in a HBB).

ADS

kphil

That's a novel idea, lol. I'm so used to ordering everything that it didn't strike me to go somewhere and try them in person. Although....um....I have to admit I'd feel a little goofy sitting in booster seats in the middle of the aisle in Target :eek:. So, if anyone can spare me that and I can order from somewhere, I'm probably more likely to go that route.

icnee

The harmony at Toys r us is wider an goes to 110lbs comes in pink and green its only $20. You can ask to try it in the cat too, and dont let what they think bother you.

I'm 5'5" and could use one too in some cars but at 210 my butt wont fit or els I'd go do it too so you wouldnt have to feel silly all alone.

TerisBoys

SK's come out with a backless Monterey called the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Santa-Booster-Silver/dp/B003VAMBWQ"]Sante Fe[/ame], but it's pricy.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
What about the Harmony Literider? It's arms are so small, I don't think they'd be in your way, maybe even support the hips a little.

Or, how about that little inflatable one? Maybe that would work for you, it has no arms at all.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I haven't tried it out, but I saw the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Olympian-Youth-Booster-Black/dp/B00318CKMY"]Harmony Olympian [/ame]at BBB last week. That sucker is HUGE! At least, in front-to-back room/leg support. Not sure about the width. I've considered getting myself a booster a time or two (my roommate's back seat belts don't fit me well... actually most backseat belts dont, I'm 5'4" and... heavier than you lol.)

So it's another one for you to look at. Not sure how different it is from the Secure Comfort.

(Addendum: Dear Amazon, why do you say a backless booster is perfect 'for baby?' Really, it doesn't take anyone with ANY sense to know you shouldn't put an infant in that. Really?)

kphil

I went to Toys R Us, but ours didn't have the Harmony. They only had two backless boosters, actually--The Turbo, and now I can't remember which other (another Graco, I think). So, I'm thinking of either ordering the Harmony Olympian from Amazon (free returns on "Baby" items (gah, on the "Baby")), or the Santa Fe. I'll see if I can squeeze into the Monterey, first, but my recollection is that I could fit, but it was a pretty tight squeeze for my hips.

mamakc

Just curious... How big of a deal is it to go over the weight limit on a booster? My mom is 5'0 and has always sat on a pillow. I don't think she'd be opposed to a booster :) But I'm not sure what she weighs.

kphil

Well, I tried the Monterey in backless mode in the car tonight, and worse than the fact that my hips were pretty tight in there, was that it boosts me so high that I was too close to the roof for comfort. I hadn't thought of that. I was just a couple inches away, but if I moved my head to the side, it would hit the roof where it slopes down. I couldn't ride like that. I'm wondering if the Monterey base is any higher than others. I'm only 5'3", so I'm surprised (this was in an Audi A4--in my Sienna, it probably would have been better, but my seatbelt fits fine in the Sienna, thankfully).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC