Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Any new booster options for small adults?

We've discussed this here several times in the past, and I was nearly at the point of getting a backless booster to use myself in my dh's car, but then I got pg and I actually fit his seatbelts a little better when pg. Now that I have occasion to ride in dh's car sometimes again, I'm back to feeling uneasy and looking to see what my options are. It looks like there are a number of boosters that would work for my weight, but it's hip room that is likely to be the main factor. The problem in his car is that he has rigid belt stalks that are attached to the seat, and the belt stalk sticks out past my lap. So, there's no way to adjust the seat to make the belt sit against me on the buckle side--the rigid stalk holds it away from my body. I'm very uncomfortable with the safety of that.

So, any recommendations for someone 5'3" and ~110? This would be only for when I'm a passenger in his car (I'm more uneasy about using one when driving--which I very rarely do in his car--since it might put me closer to the steering wheel). The seat could be stored in his trunk for backup for my oldest in a pinch, too (she rides in a HBB).
    Mom to: dd 17yo
    dd 14yo
    ds 11yo in Recaro Vivo
    dd 7yo in Graco Nautilus
    and newbie coming mid-2017

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Any new booster options for small adults?

I'd suggest trying a few different ones to see which is most comfortable for you.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

That's a novel idea, lol. I'm so used to ordering everything that it didn't strike me to go somewhere and try them in person. Although....um....I have to admit I'd feel a little goofy sitting in booster seats in the middle of the aisle in Target . So, if anyone can spare me that and I can order from somewhere, I'm probably more likely to go that route.
    dd 14yo
    ds 11yo in Recaro Vivo
    dd 7yo in Graco Nautilus

The harmony at Toys r us is wider an goes to 110lbs comes in pink and green its only $20. You can ask to try it in the cat too, and dont let what they think bother you.

I'm 5'5" and could use one too in some cars but at 210 my butt wont fit or els I'd go do it too so you wouldnt have to feel silly all alone.
    Isaiah 11yrs 5'4" 144# passes the 5 step test Cadence 8yrs 47# btb Naveah 6yrs 50# btb Emma 5yrs 41# RF diono 120 & booster Elijah 3YRS 38lbs RF diono 120
    Auto correct gone wild.

6. Thank You from:

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

I'm a size 16-18 and I can fit most of my butt in the Harmony Secure Comfort Deluxe. Yes, I tried it on.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

8. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

SK's come out with a backless Monterey called the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Santa-Booster-Silver/dp/B003VAMBWQ"]Sante Fe[/ame], but it's pricy.

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    I'm a size 16-18 and I can fit most of my butt in the Harmony Secure Comfort Deluxe. Yes, I tried it on.
    Thats what I wear now I gotts see if I fit in it, lol.
    Isaiah 11yrs 5'4" 144# passes the 5 step test Cadence 8yrs 47# btb Naveah 6yrs 50# btb Emma 5yrs 41# RF diono 120 & booster Elijah 3YRS 38lbs RF diono 120
    Auto correct gone wild.

It's not comfortable, but I can do it.

I fit in a Monterey in backless mode and I'm about your size.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

CPS Technician

What about the Harmony Literider? It's arms are so small, I don't think they'd be in your way, maybe even support the hips a little.

Or, how about that little inflatable one? Maybe that would work for you, it has no arms at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Caleb 11 yrs. 70lbs. 55" 5-steps Megan 8.5 yrs. 45lbs. 48" Harmony Literider
    Grace 6 yrs. 40lbs. 42" Nautilus
    Cameron 4 yrs. 34lb. 39" Radian XTSL
    Sally born 4/28 SR35, Zach born 4/28 Combi Coccoro

I haven't tried it out, but I saw the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Olympian-Youth-Booster-Black/dp/B00318CKMY"]Harmony Olympian [/ame]at BBB last week. That sucker is HUGE! At least, in front-to-back room/leg support. Not sure about the width. I've considered getting myself a booster a time or two (my roommate's back seat belts don't fit me well... actually most backseat belts dont, I'm 5'4" and... heavier than you lol.)

So it's another one for you to look at. Not sure how different it is from the Secure Comfort.

(Addendum: Dear Amazon, why do you say a backless booster is perfect 'for baby?' Really, it doesn't take anyone with ANY sense to know you shouldn't put an infant in that. Really?)
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

I went to Toys R Us, but ours didn't have the Harmony. They only had two backless boosters, actually--The Turbo, and now I can't remember which other (another Graco, I think). So, I'm thinking of either ordering the Harmony Olympian from Amazon (free returns on "Baby" items (gah, on the "Baby")), or the Santa Fe. I'll see if I can squeeze into the Monterey, first, but my recollection is that I could fit, but it was a pretty tight squeeze for my hips.
    dd 14yo
    ds 11yo in Recaro Vivo
    dd 7yo in Graco Nautilus

Just curious... How big of a deal is it to go over the weight limit on a booster? My mom is 5'0 and has always sat on a pillow. I don't think she'd be opposed to a booster But I'm not sure what she weighs.

It's technically misuse, but I'd be fine with it -- a person who FITS in a backless booster is not going to be double the weight limit or anything like that.

18. Thank You from:

Well, I tried the Monterey in backless mode in the car tonight, and worse than the fact that my hips were pretty tight in there, was that it boosts me so high that I was too close to the roof for comfort. I hadn't thought of that. I was just a couple inches away, but if I moved my head to the side, it would hit the roof where it slopes down. I couldn't ride like that. I'm wondering if the Monterey base is any higher than others. I'm only 5'3", so I'm surprised (this was in an Audi A4--in my Sienna, it probably would have been better, but my seatbelt fits fine in the Sienna, thankfully).
    dd 14yo
    ds 11yo in Recaro Vivo
    dd 7yo in Graco Nautilus