Question crash, rental car, plane and car seat logistics

HayleyCPST

Ok so, One of my nanny families is going to Hawaii in Feb! They will be renting a mid-sized or full sized sedan.

Today the mom got into an accident on her way to get the 3 yr old. Everyone is ok, but mom is frazzled. Only the baby was in the car and she was safely buckled in. :) Now we are just waiting for the rental car. I had to pick up the kids and take everyone home.

Anyways, so USAA is hopefully going to replace all the seats. 2 Nautili and my SS1 they were borrowing. They also have a radian that's in my car.

The kids are: 5 yrs 50lbs, 3 yrs 30lbs and 7 mo 17lbs. The 2 oldest are FF in Nautili.

My questions are: what seats will work for the plane and a 3 across situation for an unknown rental car? Baby will be a lap babe. 5 yr old is not really mature enough for booster and they'd rather not spend a whole lot to RF the 3 yr old for just a travel seat. So we are stuck with 2 combinations. Will the Nautili work on plane and rental?

What about Nautilus, scenera and safe rider vest? Can the 3 yr old fit in a vest too? I'm trying to think how they can get through the airport with 3 little ones and bags... Etc. Is the Radian a PITA to schlep in the airport?

Thanks!

ADS

Dillipop

I like the idea of the nautilus, scenera, and RSTV. This way, if there is an extra seat, baby can rf on the plane and the 3 year old and use the nautilus. If a seat doesn't open up, then the 3 year old can use the scenera and the 5 yo can use the nautilus.

The 3 year old is right at the minimum weight for a RSTV, so it might work, but I'd be more comfortable with her in a regular seat.

Mommyto3kiddos

I just dealt with USAA and getting my seats replaced. They go by NHSTA standards NOT manufacturer standards, so as long as they do not qualify as a minor crash under those standards they shouldn't give you a problem. Tell her to stay on top of them about it. And if they say they won't replace them, request that liability letter!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd plan on not being able to fit 2 Natilus' in any 3 across. If they are getting another SS1/SR35, I'd take that for the baby if possible. I'd probably take 1 Nautilus and the Radian (get the backpack straps for the airport).

Or the RSTV would also work. I do like that idea, just trying to think of the least possible money if they need that option.

HayleyCPST

Dillypop I love your idea! Bring the rstv and if there's a seat open, then put the baby in the scenera. Can the RSTV be used with a lap only? Or could the 5 yr old just use the seat belt without anything? Is the nauti nicer to travel with or the RN?

The car had to be towed away, no airbags, about 20-30mph impact, no injuries, a little stress mark on the brand new nauti (sept 10) but I don't know if that was there before. I'm almost positive I looked over them when I did the car seat check. But we were in a dark garage.

Lorismurph, money isn't an issue but they probably don't want 6 car seats. They are getting 2 nautili regardless if usaa refunds or not. They won't be getting another bucket, they would get a convertible. Obviously they are buying the more expensive one for usaa to refund and then the scenera is on them.

Dillipop

They won't be able to use the RSTV on the plane, but at 5 years old and 50 pounds, the 5 yo won't need anything. She'll be fine in the belt.

In a car, you can use the RSTV with a lap only belt, as long as there is a tether anchor available (which is why it can not be used on the plane.) The vest comes with a tether to attach if you use it with lap only. With lap/shoulder install, the tether is not needed.

HayleyCPST

They won't be able to use the RSTV on the plane, but at 5 years old and 50 pounds, the 5 yo won't need anything. She'll be fine in the belt.

In a car, you can use the RSTV with a lap only belt, as long as there is a tether anchor available (which is why it can not be used on the plane.) The vest comes with a tether to attach if you use it with lap only. With lap/shoulder install, the tether is not needed.

Great! Thanks so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC