Am I crazy to not want to turn her?

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
DD will be 3 next month. She has hit the 35lb limit in her MA in DH's car (with think winter clothes & boots) I am absolutely sick over the idea of turning her. She has been FFing in my mother's car for a couple months now (33lb limit DC), but she is only in that car 1-2 times a month. DH drives DD at least a couple times a week.
Part of the reason I am so nervous about turning her is that she has always had a bit of a larger head. :eek: She's off the charts for head circumference while only being 3-5% for height. She's my little bobble head. :rolleyes:

So I'm thinking of selling the DC to fund a new seat for DH's car, even if it's just a Scenara and I'm also seriously considering selling the MA as well to get a higher limit seat for my mother's car as well. Is this insane? Any seats I buy can be used for the new baby too if needed though so they will get a lot of use...

My mother has always been very supportive of my decision to ERF, but now even she is saying I shouldn't be so concerned about it. DH just goes with whatever I decide! LOL!

ADS

babyherder

I think selling old seats to fund seats with higher rear facing weight limits will keep your dd safer and is financially responsible. :thumbsup:

ntrenary

I don't think it's crazy. especially if you can use the seat for the baby.
I feel the same way about my 3 1/2 year old. He's holding steady at 33lbs (his seats go to 35), but I really don't want to turn him FFing. Hopefully he'll make it to at least 4 before gaining anymore weight.

gsdguenter

I don't think it's crazy and in fact have done something similar. But, only if it is in your budget. :thumbsup:

chelsey

it's not crazy.I am buying a 3 rd Radian for my SIL so my son can RF in her car.He is using a Recaro signo FF because it has 35 Ibs RF limit and I just don't like that he is FF- even if it's only once a month:whistle:so I totally understand you.:thumbsup:

Baylor

before I came here I would have said... : Crazy!: Now knowing what I know and the fact that I am going to get a radian so that I can rf my almost 3 yr old for a couple more months... Who am I to call you crazy????? :whistle:

not at all, I want to keep and will keep Nolan rear facing to age 4... he has a my ride and a true fit.. (and avenue) IF he manages to out grow either for weight/height before 4 I will sell one or both and get a CA.. it just is important to me.

ETA of course not if he is like 3 weeks away from his 4th birthday when he maxes them out lol

Mom2three

If it's within your budget I say go for it. I just turned my 4yr old DD FF. She weighs 30lbs. She could still RF, and we have seats that will fit her, but at 4 I listened to her opinion. Before 4 I would do whatever I could to keep one of my kids RF. That's just a goal that I have set.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
No not crazy!

One more reason... I let ds ff in my car for a week between his 3rd bday and a trip we were on... He drove me insane with his backseat driver tendencies...

Aurezalia

Not crazy at all, considering she's not even 3 yet. Selling older seats to fund new ones that can be passed down to the next baby sounds like a very responsible, smart plan to me!

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the validation! I don't usually question my choices, but I've always said 3 would be when I would be comfortable turning her. Of course now that I have a 35 lb almost 3 year old obviously that's not the case! Luckily Britax has a high resale around here on CL and I'll start watching for deals at BRU. I'm glad there are so many affordable options for higher weight limit seats!

msg221

I don't think you are crazy. Nour and Zain will be 3 in May and Zain is at 30.5 lbs. naked right now and I keep thinking about the 35 lb. weight limit of his TFP. I know it may take a long time before he gains those 4.5 lbs. and I am sure he will make it to 3 RF in it, but I am thinking that I just might have him swap seats (she's in a MA70) with her since she is only 25 lbs. And they only ride in my car maybe four times a month and I still stress about it!

icnee

Not crazy, I got my MT to RF a 3 1/2 yo she was 39lb. So the 40lb seats wouldtnt have worked for her any way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC