Why Isn't Anyone Complaining About...

TheRealMacGyver

GAS PRICES:mad:

Okay I don't get it, last time gas was almost up to $3/g everyone was irate and it was all over the news. This time I haven't heard a peep out of anyone:confused:

The gas companies have us figured out-raise prices until everyone complains, then lower for 6 months, then jack them back up again!

I've been asking friends this question and everyone says "why bother, it doesn't do anything". Maybe it has to go over $3/g this time before anyone complains?

ADS

broken4u05

They are already over $3 here in some places. Why complain we can't really change it. In the summer they just go up every year. I am used to it now. But i still hate it

scatterbunny

Gas in my area is $3.18 a gallon! :eek:

I am irate, but I guess I do have the, "what will it help?" attitude about complaining.

They started raising prices around Spring Break last month and they've just kept going up and up and up...

futuresoccermom

I live in Northern california and it's already $3.45 here. It's just common for the prices to start going up this time of year. I don't agree with the prices,but there really isn't anything to do(other than not get gas).

southpawboston

I live in Northern california and it's already $3.45 here. It's just common for the prices to start going up this time of year. I don't agree with the prices,but there really isn't anything to do(other than not get gas).

you know, there is something we can do, and you just alluded to the solution. ;)

wow, what a complacent bunch! :(

the fact is, macgyver is right. big oil has figured out that americans are wealthy enough, on average, to deal with the high prices. we keep buying huge gas-guzzling SUVs and just accept high gas prices as a fact of life. by not complaining, we are being complacent. if we boycotted big oil, they would listen. also, if our current administration wasn't in bed with big oil, things would change.

cpsaddict

Well, I hate them, but not buying gas is not an option for me. I live out in the boonies where you have to drive 10 MILES to the nearest bus stop. You think I'm gonna walk or bike in a busy two lane highway that far in the morning? The nearest grocery store is 5 miles away on the same stretch of road. Heck, we don't even have access to cable tv or high speed internet! So, why complain about it? In reality, there is nothing I can do that will make it stop!

Where I work we offer bulk fuel delivery to farms. Someone just ordered 600 gallons of premium and even with a bulk price of 3.42 that is $2052 in FUEL! :eek:

I hear the complaing all day, every day. But they still have to buy it to stay in business. They have to buy diesel in huge quanities. A tractor with an empty fuel tank does not pay for itself.

SIGH :eek:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I took a picture at Shell the other day... it had the price for regular but was blank on the Plus and Premium...If I could find the camera I'd post it, a more clever person than me could photoshop in, 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it' :D (it was $2.89 for regular, BTW...some stations are at $3 here for premium)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
HA! I just sent a PM saying I don't even want to drive 1/2 mile to waste gas for something I can do tomorrow on my way home :eek: 87 octane = $2.99 here now & since I don't need anything higher than that I don't even look at the other prices....

beebear23

Senior Community Member
It's been over $3 here for quite some time. $3.29 last I checked, and that was at the cheapie horrible gas station.

I guess I don't complain anymore b/c we aren't driving as much as we used to when we lived in our old house..

And there isn't anything we can do, so why bother. :) We can't change gas prices.

skaterbabs

Honestly, this time last year it was higher than it is now, and Canada, NZ and Austrailia (as well as Europe) have MUCH higher gas prices than we do.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I havent seen anything under $3 here locally (Las Vegas) but gas prices always go up when it starts getting warmer. Make me want to walk more :thumbsup:

Morganthe

Shifting base lines. We survived high costs last year. It's not as big a deal this year so far. But wait to see how high it gets around 4 July -- that tends to be a peak time.

Besides, we are a capitalist society that supports the ideology that business is ethical and competes on a fair market economy. It's not really. But unless we want some sort of governmental regulation over gas prices, (which is NEVER going to happen) then gas prices will rise whenever and for whatever reason.

Oil companies are making record profits because that 10% (just a guess)profit margin is substantially more at $3.50 a gallon than $2 a gallon in the good ole days of 2 years ago :shrug-shoulders:

They could double the price of gas fuel and as long as every single oil company adjusted the rate at the same time, there's nothing much anyone could do except complain. We don't like it, but there's no law against profit in the US. Politicians are useless unless there's a mass movement to crack down on the Oil lobby. Again, as a united country, I don't see that happening soon if ever. It would require a drastic shift in our ideas on governmental power.

Okay-- essay over :p

Last edited:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I never complain about gas prices because I know that in the US we pay significantly less for gas than other countries do. Gas prices would be way higher then they are today if the price inflated like all other products have over the past years. For some reason gas prices have been numb to inflation for many, many years so we actually have been getting a good deal somewhat. :p
Also to me gas is relatively inexpensive for what it provides me. It costs the same as a gallon of milk and less then bottled water. Gas has to come from another country, be refined, shipped, trucked and then it allows my vehicle to take me places. Milk comes from a local dairy and only requires local trucking. Bottled water...well I won't even go there. Shoot look how expensive Starbucks coffee (if you figure it out per gallon) and that is a lot less work then getting gas to people. Obviously it is all a little more "deep" than this explanation but I don't have the energy to type everything I want to say. ;)
Yes it is higher then normal, but I choose to use it and I am willing to pay for it.

Suzibeck

It is nearing $3 a gal here now. I'm not noticing it as much because dh is making more money because of it, and driving less to boot. He refs lacrosse every spring and this is the first year he has been paid milage for the games. Because the teams are paying milage, they want the refs that live close and/or car pool.

So, yes, prices are higher but we are spending less for gas this year, because we are using less and dh is being paid extra for part of what we use!

Now, when summer hits and lacrosse season is over, I'll feel the high gas prices more. We do drive more in the summer, as a family, because we go to the beach frequently. It is only 15-20 mintues away, but most of my other driving is only 5-10 minutes away.

Laurenc0101

I couldn't even tell you how much it is here:eek: I just stopped driving if I don't absolutely have to be somewhere. I have had my current tank of gas for about three weeks. It is getting rediculous, but it is something some have to have.

Lauren:)

CRS

Senior Community Member
GAS PRICES:mad:

Okay I don't get it, last time gas was almost up to $3/g everyone was irate and it was all over the news. This time I haven't heard a peep out of anyone:confused:

The gas companies have us figured out-raise prices until everyone complains, then lower for 6 months, then jack them back up again!

I've been asking friends this question and everyone says "why bother, it doesn't do anything". Maybe it has to go over $3/g this time before anyone complains?

LOL gas is $5.73 NZD ($4.25 USD) per gallon here!

Morganthe

I never complain about gas prices because I know that in the US we pay significantly less for gas than other countries do.
I completely understand what you're saying. I lived in Germany and travelled a lot on the economy where US gas coupons were not available. With the terrible $-Euro exchange rate, I was paying over $6.50 a gallon for gas in France.
The problem with using that argument is that US household budgets are likely to not stretch with the sudden increase in gas costs. If one is raised with high costs, then it's part of the budget. But if you're already stretched to the max, then the additional $50 or more extra can seriously injure the family's financial health. It is a shock to the pocketbook. Getting rid of the gas guzzler that has payments left on it won't be easy at all.

Also to me gas is relatively inexpensive for what it provides me. It costs the same as a gallon of milk and less then bottled water. Gas has to come from another country, be refined, shipped, trucked and then it allows my vehicle to take me places. Milk comes from a local dairy and only requires local trucking. Bottled water...well I won't even go there. Shoot look how expensive Starbucks coffee (if you figure it out per gallon) and that is a lot less work then getting gas to people. Obviously it is all a little more "deep" than this explanation but I don't have the energy to type everything I want to say. ;)
Yes it is higher then normal, but I choose to use it and I am willing to pay for it.

Ah yes, I've read several editorials that paraphrase what you've written. I thought they were interesting, but made light of a serious issue. I can live without Milk or Starbucks. Fuel for my vehicles -- not at all. "Choice" and "Willing to pay"... obviously the higher costs doesn't make a serious difference for your household income. Popular terms these days that lessen serious financial issues for the working family. If dh doesn't "choose" to pay for the gas to get to work, he'll be thrown in prison. There's no other way for him to get to work unless he wants to walk 5 miles along a dangerous highway.

Luckily, we don't have to worry about trying to pay double for a tank of fuel vs paying the household utility bills. But I know of some families who have to make those hard decisions. It is very sad. Electricity costs here are outrageous. Adding the higher costs of fuel to commercial goods and produce just makes it even more difficult for them to get by.

southpawboston

I couldn't even tell you how much it is here:eek: I just stopped driving if I don't absolutely have to be somewhere. I have had my current tank of gas for about three weeks. It is getting rediculous, but it is something some have to have.

Lauren:)

well if you've cut down on your driving because of the gas prices, then you're making a difference. :thumbsup: if everyone could do that, it would send a powerful message to big oil. also, if everyone drove more fuel-efficient vehicles, that would also send a big message... but as it stands, the oil execs see americans spending ever more money on every larger vehicles that get ever poorer fuel efficiency... so of course they're going to raise their prices... they know they can get away with it.

what we really need is for our government to impose gas rations like they did in the 70s during the oil crisis... that will force people to think about living more efficiently. yes it means sacrifice, but that's what it takes to make a point sometimes.

vonfirmath

Because I am aware that the fault does not ALL lie on evil gas companies.

Estimated Gasoline Price Breakdown & Margin Details <-- This website is put out by the California state government.

It appears that a LARGE part of the cost of gas is.... Cost of the oil.
The second largest part is... Refinery costs (probably partly because a new refinery has not been built in how many years?)
The third largest part? Taxes

(My guess is that the cost of ethanol additives added to gasoline is within the refinery part and that is the reason for the jump in costs and profits as you enter March. Ethanol is made out of corn, which has seen high jumps in price lately.)

How Gas Prices Work

NPR Q&A

skaterbabs

what we really need is for our government to impose gas rations like they did in the 70s during the oil crisis... that will force people to think about living more efficiently. yes it means sacrifice, but that's what it takes to make a point sometimes.

No, that would NOT help. Cars are more efficient now than they've ever been, even for cars that are ten-twelve years old. Gov't rations would put a LOT of people out of work in many places - most areas in the US are not set up with alternative transportation.

We moved closer to dh's job three years ago - to a house purchased by and rented from his employer's parents. Last year we purchased the house with financing from them, otherwise we could never have done it. Before the move, dh was commuting 45 minutes (all highway) ONE WAY to work each day. We could not afford to live closer, and there wasn't a decent job in his field in our small town. We still live 20-30 minutes from his office, and our city's public transportation would not help him at all. We're fortunate, he drives a company car.

But our situation is pretty common for our area - excepting the employer assistance (we're literally about ten miles from the city line for Richmond). Lots of people live anywhere from 20 to 90 minutes outside of the city and drive in each day. And unlike Boston, New York, ect, we don't have mass transit to transport these people in and out of the city.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC