Lex cried when I turned her FF

We had to turn Lex back to FF this week b/c she has outgrown the Scenera RF and the Accel only RF to 30lbs. DH didn't want to spend $$ on another RF seat that might not last, so he bought her an Apex. She really likes having a new seat, but yesterday she started crying b/c she wanted to sit the same way as Haylee...it was kind of cute!

ADS

broken4u05

AWW well that shows how much kids like to be RF. Is she feeling better now? or does she still want to be turned around?

southpawboston

AWW well that shows how much kids like to be RF. Is she feeling better now? or does she still want to be turned around?

it's not so much that kids like RFing better than FFing, it's simply that that's all they've known... it took our daughter at least a week before she was comfortable with the new orientation. but she loves it now... she loves watching the traffic lights and pointing out when they're red and when they're green. :) like her parents, she likes the green lights much better. ;)

when they get switched around, it's entirely new and disorienting to them. they need time to adjust. if in a different galaxy where everything is opposite, kids FF'd first before turning RF, they'd feel the same disorientation.

Awww, she'll adjust. And congrats on getting to 3.5 RF :thumbsup:

yep, she surely will! and i second the congrats on making it that far RFing!

sirrahn

I attempted to turn my 2 yr old around the other day and she *freaked* out. The 3rd ride, she wouldn't even get in her seat so I turned her back. Now she says "this better" every time she gets in her seat LOL!

She still fits rfing so I had no excuse to push the issue...admittedly it was just me thinking she'd be happier ffing since she's so long-legged. I guess in this one case toddler knows best:D

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Awww. I know I will probably cry when I have to turn DD2 FF. DD1 didn't cry when we had to turn her FF shortly before her third birthday, but boy did she become an extremely opinionated back seat driver, lol.

teekadog

4yo dd was ff in our rental car/Scenera this past week. At first she was very much thrilled. By the end of the week she HATED it. She was very happy to be home and rfing in her Marathon again. Ffing her legs get awful cramps... I'm going to have to look into footrests quickly before she gets too heavy to rf in her Marathon.

Well, I'll take the "congrats" and say "thanks" but honestly I had just turned her back to RF a few months ago. She loved it and if $$ grew on trees I'd buy an Intera and a MA and see which one fit better so she could still RF, but DH has put a stop to the carseat buying!! :(

skaterbabs

Joyjoy was FF in our spare seat for 6 mos before she was FF full time, and I can assure you, not all children just react to the change. She would literally SCREAM the entire trip FF, but was happy as a clam RF. We were on the verge of attempting to import a Swedish seat for her when she finally got over it.

I'm not sure exactly what the issue was FF, but her complaint was that she was "stuck".

Lara

((((HUGS))))

I'm going through the SAME thing right now! had to turn dd ff cause she hit 33 lbs (on her third birthday!) We've been on 5 car trips since then and every.single.one. she has cried and screamed. She starts by screaming "i'm not safe! I want my backwards carseat back!" and then she just cries and cries:( .

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Joyjoy was FF in our spare seat for 6 mos before she was FF full time, and I can assure you, not all children just react to the change. She would literally SCREAM the entire trip FF, but was happy as a clam RF. We were on the verge of attempting to import a Swedish seat for her when she finally got over it.

Ditto. Some kids love the change. Some kids hate the change. Some kids hate the fact that they no longer have leg support. Leila is very communicative & her distress at turning FF was not about the change -- it was about severe leg/back aches. If kiddo transitions quickly then all's good, but if not then there may be a very real discomfort issue going on....

southpawboston

it was about severe leg/back aches. If kiddo transitions quickly then all's good, but if not then there may be a very real discomfort issue going on....

hmm... that seems to be a common theme. perhaps that's an issue that should be brought up with the carseat mfrs. they should be designing them to be supportive in all the right places... ergonomically correct. i know not all kids can be properly supported, but good seat design can go a long way in preventing back and leg pain. i have had cars with seats that were totally unsupportive and caused me tremendous back/leg pain, and then i've had cars with seats in which i could sit for 6 hour trips without any fatigue... so it make sense that some of that can apply to child carseat design as well.

southpawboston

((((HUGS))))

I'm going through the SAME thing right now! had to turn dd ff cause she hit 33 lbs (on her third birthday!) We've been on 5 car trips since then and every.single.one. she has cried and screamed. She starts by screaming "i'm not safe! I want my backwards carseat back!" and then she just cries and cries:( .

could you explain to her that she *is* safe? true, RFing is safer, but much more so before they are 2 years old... they should be encouraged to feel safe regardless of whether they are RF or FF so long as they are properly restrained and the carseat is properly installed.

skaterbabs

Sometimes having a 35 lb limit seat will allow the child just enough additional time RF that they can adjust to the change.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes! I fully agree & mentioned this to Graco, Britax & Compas at Lifesavers -- actually the Britax convertibles fit some cars such that Leila could just hook her heel on the edge of the vehicle seat underneath, but only at 4 years old & she outgrew the harness shortly thereafter anyway.... This wasn't such an issue in the Recaro, except that we were then traveling 2+ hour long drives. Recaro was more comfy than the Husky in that respect except that in the Husky she could cross her legs which also helped, so it was really a toss up until she outgrew the Recaro anyway & within a short time her feet could touch the floor while seated in the Husky, too.

I have often wondered how many kids feel the same thing but just aren't as verbal yet or because they've been FF sooner they just "suck it up" :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC