End-of-year teacher gifts?

Michi

I'm looking for some good end-of-the-year gifts for my DD's speech therapist/preschool teacher.
(...something besides candy/plants/candles...It seems like everyone gives those!)
Any great ideas? :)

ADS

Tracy

CPST Instructor
We always give notepads with magnets on the back, or a magnetic picture frame. I like to give teachers something that they will use up. We have even given gift certificates to eat out. I have teacher friends and they always dread the christmas presents and end of year presents... they feel guilty if they don't use the gift, but don't want something that sticks around forever and takes up space or has to be dusted... Just my :twocents:

Splash

I never liked receiving gifts from parents and children. Really, I didn't. I know a LOT of teachers who feel the same way.
If anything, give her a gift certificate for HER. Don't give her classroom stuff. Yes, teachers buy most of their supplies out of pocket, but a GIFT is a personal item, not a supply.
What do you know about her? What are her likes and dislikes? Have you noticed that she often wears a particular fragrance or buys her clothes from a particular store? Does she always bring leftovers from a certain restaurant for lunch?

gwenvet

We usually get it at the last minute and wind up getting $10-$15 Starbucks cards. Not very creative, but hopefully they like them.

TheRealMacGyver

As a teacher I will say that gift cards are my favorite. They are easy to transport and I can use them as I like. I know some say they are not as personable, but I think they are a good chioce. While restaurants are good, I like stores like Office Depot, Home Depot, or even craft stores. You can even ask the teacher which teacher supply store they use in the area and get one there. By the way, I never like the whole gift giving thing in the classroom, because there is always a kid that ends up feeling bad about the whole thing. A nice card or hand written letter is always appreciated as well.

Ali

I am also a teacher. Honestly, my favorite "gift" is a note/card from parents or children (depending on age) just thanking me. Those are the things I keep.

broken4u05

I used to work at a day care center and we would get gifts as well. And i didn't work there for that long but i loved getting gifts the kids had done with there photo or something. Like a card. I have a folder at home with cards i got. A gift card was also something i liked because it did not say around forever.

ajweeks

For those of you who have given/received gift cards as teacher gifts, how much? We'll have 4 gifts to buy at the end of the year.

Splash

Honestly, I really would skip it.
To me, receiving gifts of obligation is offensive. It's not polite or thoughtful. It's a statement of "I didn't really want to do this, but felt like I had to." Unless you have something you really want to present to the teacher, skip it. No one should give a gift because they are expected to. That's not a gift. If there is something you WANT to give to the teacher, something personal that you feel is special, great. But gift cards are the same as cash, and you wouldn't give cash to a teacher, would you? I hope not!

Michi

I actually DO really want to give her something. she has helped DD SO much with her speech/language issues - and she is just a really great person as well.

Tell me if this is too 'hokey', but I found a big canvas tote bag at the craft store
I was going paint DD's hand prints all over it and write the teacher's name on it.
(Is that cheesy?)

TheRealMacGyver

But gift cards are the same as cash, and you wouldn't give cash to a teacher, would you? I hope not!

I used to feel like that too, but then I realized it's just the winds of change. I don't think anyone is offended by gift cards anymore, they realize it's just the modern gift to give.

amy919

I'm with Splash on this one. This past Christmas, Kaylie's teacher must have gotten 10 candles! She probably ended up re-gifting them.

I vote for a gift certificate, too. Something that she HAS to use for HERSELF. Gift cards are too easy to use on someone else or use for something you need.

For a teacher that really went above and beyond, I'd probably spend $25-$30for a gift certificate.

Amy

jennsmile

I vote for gift cards too. My dh is in education and we love it when we get gift cards. Even $5 to a bookstore or something is fun and he can get something he likes. Or find out her favorite resturant and get a gift card for that. I also like the idea for a note. If you want you could do both.

Jenn

trailrunnermom

We usually get it at the last minute and wind up getting $10-$15 Starbucks cards. Not very creative, but hopefully they like them.

You're not alone; this is what I've given all our preschool teachers ($10 Starbucks cards.) I try to include a homemade note card with it from my son.

I stopped giving teacher gifts for my older daughter when she started having more than one teacher (5th grade) (even though the middle school teachers may be the most deserving because they're the ones who often see our children at their "worst"--anyone who's had an 8th grader might know what I mean!) :) However, I did get a Starbucks card last year for one teacher in particular that had gone above and beyond for my DD.

I do believe teacher gifts are definitely optional, and that a handwritten note can mean even more. No need to break the budget.

vonfirmath

Honestly, I really would skip it.
To me, receiving gifts of obligation is offensive. It's not polite or thoughtful. It's a statement of "I didn't really want to do this, but felt like I had to." Unless you have something you really want to present to the teacher, skip it. No one should give a gift because they are expected to. That's not a gift. If there is something you WANT to give to the teacher, something personal that you feel is special, great. But gift cards are the same as cash, and you wouldn't give cash to a teacher, would you? I hope not!

I don't see any problem with giving cash to a teacher. WHy not tip your child's teacher if you think they are doing a great job?

Splash

Because that leads to favoritism and bribery. If I slip my kid's teacher 20 bucks, then the whole dynamic changes.
Teaching is not about tips or gifts. I personally don't think teachers should be allowed to accept anything of monetary value, same with doctors. My son has some great doctors, but it would be inappropriate for me to tip them.

Kellyr2

I can tell you that Aaric's teacher was over the moon when we gave her a pic of Xander last week! She keeps offering to buy him from Aaric, LOL.
We'll probably do a card and a note, and maybe a basket of baked goodies.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I just plan on taking a picture of Leila with her teacher together & sending a small magnetic framed copy -- simple, inexpensive, yet personal :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC