How old/big were your children when they outgrew the new generation Britax seats?

Athena

Now that they've been out for a while ...

How old/big were your children when they outgrew the new generation Britax seats? ... Or do they still fit when you thought they wouldn't?

I hope this is in the right forum. I recently realized that my DD might reach 35 pounds (or close enough with clothes to make me nervous) before I'm ready to FF her. I've had 40 pound seats on my mind and I just saw the great deal posted in the shopping forum and am tempted to get a second one. Or maybe I should wait and see. I'm probably panicking because I am not in love with any of the over 35 pound RF seat options. Unless I've missed something, my 40 pound RF seat options (in addition to the new gen Britax seats) are the my ride and new efta65 that don't have shells much taller than the RA55, the CA that states a rear facing height limit of 40", and the user unfriendly Radian. Is that right?

And one other question, anyone else noticed the RA55 providing slightly more rear facing height than the MA70? When I tried them both, it looked like my DD had more room in the RA55 and that's the one we got. It would be nice to have one of their seats with the higher FF harness slots because I suspect that by the time my DD outgrows her RA55 RF, she'll be close to outgrowing it FF too. Thanks for the help and advice!

Last edited:
ADS

rachelandtyke

I thought the new gen Britax seats went to 40 lbs rear facing? Someone correct me if I'm wrong (or if you already knew that and I read it wrong!).

BabyKaykes

My 5yr old would have outgrown it by height at about 4.5yo but his torso it super short. There are several seats he could still RF in if he wasn't already 40lb. At this point, all he could RF in is the RadianXTSL

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Athena

I thought the new gen Britax seats went to 40 lbs rear facing? Someone correct me if I'm wrong (or if you already knew that and I read it wrong!).

Yes, sorry it was not clear by my not including it in the list. In my mind, I was saying other than the new gen britax seats, my other options are ... I just added a something to clarify and hopefully it is a bit more clear. Thanks.

Athena

My 5yr old would have outgrown it by height at about 4.5yo but his torso it super short. There are several seats he could still RF in if he wasn't already 40lb. At this point, all he could RF in is the RadianXTSL

Thanks. If you don't mind my asking, what seats does he still fit in by height? I'm guessing radian and CA (ignoring the stated 40" rf limit, which most people do :)). Thanks! I doubt my 4 yo would fit in anything RF... she's even with the second to top nautilus harness slot.

emtb79

To answer your intial question Hudson stills fits FF but not RF. The babies fit both RF and FF.

To answer your question of all the RF 40lb there is also the new Symphony65.

gigi

Just wanted to let you know the EFT65 shell is way, way taller than the new Britax seats. My 3.75 y.o., 39 lb., 39" kid with a 15.5-16" torso and a giant head still fits RFing with almost 2" of room for growth (so about 3" of shell above his head). That seat also has great leg room both Rf and FF for bigger kids.

By comparison, his head is OVER the shell by an inch or so in the RA55.

BabyKaykes

Athena said:
Thanks. If you don't mind my asking, what seats does he still fit in by height? I'm guessing radian and CA (ignoring the stated 40" rf limit, which most people do :)). Thanks! I doubt my 4 yo would fit in anything RF... she's even with the second to top nautilus harness slot.

Um....basically all of them. His torso is that short...Off the top of my head, he has been in the following seats in the past 6mths or so, with RF room to spare:

Radian
Scenera
Complete Air
Original MA
Onside Air
Triumph
RA50
Avenue
Original AOE
MyRide
True Fit

Athena

Um....basically all of them. His torso is that short...Off the top of my head, he has been in the following seats in the past 6mths or so, with RF room to spare:

Radian
Scenera
Complete Air
Original MA
Onside Air
Triumph
RA50
Avenue
Original AOE
MyRide
True Fit

Wow. I was basing my data on the measurements on this site and many of the seats internal seating heights are listed as slightly lower, the same, or just .5" taller than our RA55. But it sounds like that has not been your experience. Now I'm curious to measure my DD in our two seats to compare, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the info and for sharing your experience!

Just wanted to let you know the EFT65 shell is way, way taller than the new Britax seats. My 3.75 y.o., 39 lb., 39" kid with a 15.5-16" torso and a giant head still fits RFing with almost 2" of room for growth (so about 3" of shell above his head). That seat also has great leg room both Rf and FF for bigger kids.

By comparison, his head is OVER the shell by an inch or so in the RA55.

Is the eft65 new? Oops, I mean is it newer than the one listed in the measurement subforum? Sorry, I am not familiar with the evenflo seats and it looks there are quite a few versions. Do you know the internal seating height or do they carry it at Target or BRU? Maybe we'll need to make a shopping trip tomorrow. :) thanks!

Last edited:

Athena

One more question about the eft65 .. how is it on front/back space or gutting into the front seat space? That was the reason I bought the RA55, not because I ever imagined I might need a 40 pound RF limit. :)

To answer your intial question Hudson stills fits FF but not RF. The babies fit both RF and FF.

To answer your question of all the RF 40lb there is also the new Symphony65.

Thanks for the heads up on the other 40 pound seat. Is Hudson the 2 yo in your siggy? Wow, he must be tall! Thanks for sharing!

ConnorsMommy

I don't have a new MA70, but I do have one of the Classic ones for my son. He will be 4 in March, is 35 lbs, and has about a 15 inch torso (I haven't measured it recently). He is on the top slots of the MA with about 1 to 1 1/2 inches to grow. If he was RF, he would still have growing room above his head. When I had him sit in a new MA70 after he turned 3, I think he had less growing room. It should fit the average 3 year old RF.

Cryssy Jane

Odin can fit FF in the new britax seats, but had already outgrown them RF when they came out. He'll be 3 in february, about 36lbs, 39.5 inches tall with a 15.5 inch torso. Wearing 4T tops and 3T bottoms, could wear 2ts for width but length wise they are high waters. He also has a giant noggin and is | | close to outgrowing the XTSL rf by height.

fyrfightermomma

My girls both still fit FFing and Sophia still fits RFing with a smidge to grow.

Evelyn is 5 1/2, 30 lbs and 46" and wears a size 6 shirt.

Sophia is 4, 40lbs and 40" and wears a 4/5 shirt

Joseph has lots of room above his head. Several inches. He's 11 months, 28 lbs and 33" and wears a 24m/2t top.

But I have one of the phantom seats or something because people have 2 year olds outgrowing them and my very very tall 5 1/2 year old and big torso'd 4 year old still fit. So who knows

Meg

My 4 year old is 40 in. and 35 lbs. and he has about 2 in. of shell above his head in teh RA 55. Our main seats are a RN 80SL, CA, and a Frontier, and the RA is definitely my fave.

gigi

Is the eft65 new? Oops, I mean is it newer than the one listed in the measurement subforum? Sorry, I am not familiar with the evenflo seats and it looks there are quite a few versions. Do you know the internal seating height or do they carry it at Target or BRU? Maybe we'll need to make a shopping trip tomorrow. :) thanks!

It came out a few months ago but is the same shell as the EFTA. I like everything about my EFTA except the lack of lock offs and strap covers. After I turned my son FF he was really miserable in his boulevard 65 bc of the lack of leg support, and switching with the Triumph in my mom's car solved his problems.

It takes up about the same front to back space as a classic boulevard, but more than the new britax convertibles, and has way more leg room than either. Easy upright install in the cars we use too. It is wider than the britax seats by a couple inches though.

Athena

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm amazed and a bit baffled by the wide variation. I suppose it is affected by how upright the seat is. I know when I tried it on the BRU test bench, it looked like my DD had little to no growing room, but in our car it was a very different story. And I'm wondering if that RA55 does allow slightly more RF growing room, like I noticed when comparing, but have no solid explanation for why or how. I wish that were not so because I really want that allison marathon.

I'm hoping to play with car seats (both ours and at the store) before the chance at the great deal is gone, but I don't know if our weather will cooperate. :rolleyes:

Mom-of-Two

I would not buy a new Britax seat, I like the old ones better! I have a Marathon that my SIX year old could still fit in both height and weight-wise! It's my 3yo's seat and he has TONS of room in it, but I think the new MA 70 is shorter, which doesn't make sense to me at all!

Did you say how old your DD is- or did I miss that! I would say you have a few choices if you are wanting to RF her much longer- Graco My Ride, Radian, Complete Air, Evenflo Triumph Advance- many options out there now! I think I like the Radian the most if you are using itt RF and then taking her FF to booster age- tall shell, comfy both RF and FF. I don't know anyone that uses a My Ride FF- if others do here and have pics that may be helpful- I know it's super reclined FF and my kids hate that. I don't like bases on seats either, for FF long term use- that is why I am disliking my Marathon right now for use FF! The Complete Air would last you a long time both RF and FF as well and has a nice tall shell.

GL!

emtb79

One more question about the eft65 .. how is it on front/back space or gutting into the front seat space? That was the reason I bought the RA55, not because I ever imagined I might need a 40 pound RF limit. :)

Thanks for the heads up on the other 40 pound seat. Is Hudson the 2 yo in your siggy? Wow, he must be tall! Thanks for sharing!

Yes he is. I havent changed my siggy yet but he is currently in the TFP because he is under 35lbs just a really big head and a long torso. He might have actually another .5 inch but Im not gonna play around with .5 of and inch with someone else's kid.

Athena

It came out a few months ago but is the same shell as the EFTA. I like everything about my EFTA except the lack of lock offs and strap covers. After I turned my son FF he was really miserable in his boulevard 65 bc of the lack of leg support, and switching with the Triumph in my mom's car solved his problems.

It takes up about the same front to back space as a classic boulevard, but more than the new britax convertibles, and has way more leg room than either. Easy upright install in the cars we use too. It is wider than the britax seats by a couple inches though.

Do you happen to know the internal shell height? The measurement I found here was the same as the RA55 and I couldn't look at it because our Target didn't have it. :( Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC