I may have helped a lady at Walmart today.

alake

I was looking at the MR car seat, and she was looking at seats as well. She asked me if I knew anything about seats. I told her that I knew a little, but not that much. She said that she had been in an accident with this week, and being away from home, where her spare seat was, she had to purchase a new seat today. She was wanting to get a 3 in 1, because they switched into a booster seat. From everything I have read here, I told her that they didn't turn into a great booster seat. I directed her to the MR, and told her that the best thing is to rear face past the age of one, to the limits of the seat. She seemed interested.

ADS

mommycat

That's great! I'm always happy to meet up with people in the carseat aisle, LOL. You are right, the 3in1 does not in general make a good booster. And hopefully you have made her think about ERF.

mam521

Nice work :) Its always nice when you can help someone make a decision against something the'll likely loathe (but thats just IMO on AOE)

Unless something's changed, don't the AOE's only FF to 40lbs? If thats the case, the booster is almost always irrelevant anyway.

mommycat

Some of the 3in1s do still harness to just 40 lbs, but most of the 3in1s are a newer design (as of Dec 2008? 9??) and RF to 35lbs, FF to 50lbs and have *usable* top harness slots instead of a poorly marked booby trap "for booster use only" (making the THS approx. 17.5"). All in all, the HW models of 3in1 are a pretty good seat, but the same poor booster design. So for the often high price, 32" RF stated height limit, and the fact that many people will use the seat as a booster regardless of bad fit, I try to steer people to other seats offering similar value unless I feel pretty sure they will not use it for a booster.

alake

Some of the 3in1s do still harness to just 40 lbs, but most of the 3in1s are a newer design (as of Dec 2008? 9??) and RF to 35lbs, FF to 50lbs and have *usable* top harness slots instead of a poorly marked booby trap "for booster use only" (making the THS approx. 17.5"). All in all, the HW models of 3in1 are a pretty good seat, but the same poor booster design. So for the often high price, 32" RF stated height limit, and the fact that many people will use the seat as a booster regardless of bad fit, I try to steer people to other seats offering similar value unless I feel pretty sure they will not use it for a booster.

My parents purchased one for A., because it was on sale, and yes, it does rear face to 35, and ff to 50. On a side note, I was pleasently surprised by the Canadian Tire web site. Knowing that Canadian Tire has the Graco Nautilus car seats on sale, I wanted to purchase one from them. But our store didn't have any in stock. I went on there website and was looking at there car seats that they had available. I saw that there was a video, about installing the car seats. I was happy to see that they totally talk about rear facing to the maximums of the seat. They say that they can be turned around at one but the experts recomend rear facing until they have out grown the rear facing weight and height limit.

Last edited:

mommycat

That's great - I have in the past been very unimpressed with CT's web site, the way the seats have been mis-classed, etc. Great to hear they are doing something right. LOL

Our CT does not carry the GN. :( Or they didn't in the past, maybe I should do a walk-through, LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC