Seats with belt lockoffs?

Mirandagrate

Seats with belt lockoffs? ****UPDATE

I might be getting DD a new seat this spring and finally put her forward facing and put ds2 in her radian... But I need a seat that has belt lock offs because in the middle position of my car I cannot get a seat to install tightly because there is no latch and the seat belt does not retract. I've the tricks of flipping the buckle over but it just doesn't work... So I need a seat with belt lock offs... Any suggestions? And if there isn't a 5 point harness seat with lock offs, are there any rear facing seats with high weight limits with lock offs?
I really like the looks of the ProSPORT but wasn't sure if it had lock offs or not... also, the Britax 85 is an option if it has some...
I have a 2009 Saturn Outlook and want to put her in the middle, between her brothers in the 2nd row seating...
Thanks!!

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
When you say the seatbelt doesn't retract, do you mean it doesn't lock when you extend it all the way, or do you mean it literally doesn't retract? If it doesn't retract, you have a defective seatbelt and need to get it fixed.

Cars of your model year have belts that lock. It's possible that your center belt locks at the latchplate. You said you've flipped the buckle over? Does that mean they do lock at the latchplate but don't stay tight?

What are the stats on your kids? (Sorry if they're in your siggy; can't see right now.)

Some (all?) current Britax convertibles have lockoffs. The Frontier does not unless they've changed things.

TrieFit has lockoffs.

Recaro convertibles do (right?) but the ProSport does not.

I believe the Graco Nautilus Elite has lockoffs.

I'm sure there are others.

Pixels

The Britax 70 convertibles have lockoffs, but based on your siggy pic I doubt your daughter has much time, if any, in them by height. The Complete Air doesn't have lockoffs, the MyRide doesn't, the Radian doesn't.

Forward facing, the Graco Nautilus Elite has lockoffs. That's the only one I can think of, other than the forthcoming (and also expensive, and wide) Graco Smartseat. The Frontier85 doesn't have lockoffs, the ProSport doesn't, the Maestro, the regular Nautilus doesn't.

You have lightweight locking latchplates in your car, so they should stay tight if you flip the male part of the buckle. Depending on the vehicle/carseat combination, twisting down the female buckle stalk up to three twists will work as well - this is what I have to do in DH's car. Even if nothing else works, a locking clip is an option. You don't necessarily HAVE to have lockoffs.

StPaulMom

Is this a lap and shoulder belt, right? In an '09 model, it will have some sort of locking mechanism, either a switchable retractor (pull all the way out to lock), a locking latchplate (locks like an airplane seatbelt), or an automatic locking retractor (once you pull it out, it can only get shorter, not longer). All of these can be used to install a child seat.

But if you still want a seat with lockoffs, the First Years TrueFit (and TFPremier), Graco SafeSeat and Britax seats for RF. I'm drawing a blank on if there are more that have lockoffs for RF, but the Graco Nautilus Elite has lockoffs as well (FF only seat).

Mirandagrate

Oops! yes, it does retract, but doesn't lock when you pull it all the way out... And I've flipped the mail part over and I couldn't get her radian installed FF that way and stay tight... It still had some pretty good movement in there and I tried for over an hour... You can't flip the female part because the casing is plastic.
And, yes, it is lap asn shoulder :)
I did get it pretty tight with the locking clip but I wasn't sure that it would STAY tight..

She's 40 inches tall and 34 lbs.

autumnlily

Where do her shoulders fall on the Radian? Rear facing and forward facing? I'm not sure how recent your siggie picture is... but she *looks* similarly built to my oldest who is 5y1m 41" tall and just shy of 36lbs. My DD has a very short torso and fits very well in the Britax seats (excluding Roundabout 40), Nautilus, True Fit & Radians. If your DD has a short torso you may very well be able to use nearly all the seats mentioned in the thread.

BUT, you have limited space for a 3 across... so I would definitely recommend trying the combo's out in the car first. Are you located near a tech from our board??? (there is a link somewhere to the listing).

Mirandagrate

She's only moved up one slot but has only gained 1 lb since the picture... She's not grown very much :)

I'm not sure if I'm near a tech... I'll have to check.. I'm not near any stores that carry any of those seats :(

Mirandagrate

Well, I took out DD's Radian and DS2's Onboard 35 and put a Recaro Signo in it's place. Got it in rear facing rock the car tight (that was hard!!!) with the belt and the her Radian fit perfectly back in it's place rear facing and installed rock the car tight as well.. So I might not by buying a seat this year (but I would LOVE to, LOL!)

Thanks for all the help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC