Would you use this seat?

hunypooh77

Dd is going to be 4 in March, she used her Snugride until about a month after her first birthday. It has been stored since April 08, I just didnt know it was stored in the attic until I asked dh about it. Dd had reflux pretty bad and barfed all over the cover and straps a million times so chances are it got "funky" up in the attic but in the off chance that it didnt do you think it would be ok to use since it has spent 3 years in the extreme temps (hot and cold) up there?

ADS

Keeanh

Just personal opinion here, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a seat being in an attic. I'm quite sure vehicles parked outside get more extreme temperature variations than an attic. If it's funky and you can't get it clean, then I guess it's a toss-up between new cover & harness vs. new seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I also wouldn't be concerned about the attic. I might be concerned about vomit sitting on the straps and potentially degrading them (or, at the very least, making them nasty). So I would get a new harness and wash the cover thoroughly.

mish

I'm not sure. I would probably use that as an excuse to buy a new seat myself. If you can't afford to do so I would probably use it. I would order new straps though.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm with Mish - I'd order new straps for it if you're going to reuse it.

I wouldn't worry about the hot and cold temps of being in the attic - that's going to be more temperature controlled than if it had been installed in a vehicle for the last 4 years. But spit-up is acidic and I would worry about prolonged contact with the straps if some seeped in before it was stored away.

Of course, if you want to buy a new seat, this one is close to expiring anyways. I'd probably pull back the cover to see if it had EPS foam in the head area - some snugrides did back then but I don't think they all did. And check the expiry date - it was stored for 4 yrs and in use for 1 yr, so depending on the age of the seat when you bought it, it's either expired or else expires this coming December. So you may end up needing a new seat based on the expiry anyways. :thumbsup:

hunypooh77

My main concern is that the seat in going to be OB in a 3 across, so I want to be sure that it didnt lose strength from the conditions in the attic. I am pretty sure the straps will need replacing at the very least. I also dont know the DOM on it, how long does a Snugride last?

I am trying to convince dh we should get a new seat but if we cant I just want to make sure this one will be ok. :eek:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My main concern is that the seat in going to be OB in a 3 across, so I want to be sure that it didnt lose strength from the conditions in the attic. I am pretty sure the straps will need replacing at the very least. I also dont know the DOM on it, how long does a Snugride last?

I am trying to convince dh we should get a new seat but if we cant I just want to make sure this one will be ok. :eek:

6 years - the date molded on the shell well be Dec 31 the 6th year from DOM.

eta: Looking at your ticker baby won't be here until June? So that gives you 6 months at most to use the seat before it expires, and it may already be expired. I'd just tell hubby the seat will expire before you're done with it so you might as well buy a new seat now. :thumbsup:

vonfirmath

FYI Snowbird, my son is going to be 4 in August. He was born in 2007 and has a 2006 DOM Safeseat that does not expire until December 2012

So it is quite possible for her to have a Snugride that does not expire December of this year but, rather, next. (Which is enough time for a baby born this year to use, we decided)

hunypooh77

Of course, if you want to buy a new seat, this one is close to expiring anyways. I'd probably pull back the cover to see if it had EPS foam in the head area - some snugrides did back then but I don't think they all did. And check the expiry date - it was stored for 4 yrs and in use for 1 yr, so depending on the age of the seat when you bought it, it's either expired or else expires this coming December. So you may end up needing a new seat based on the expiry anyways. :thumbsup:

It is this one...according to the review there is eps foam at least...
http://www.epinions.com/content_404568116868

I am also pretty sure I remember it having the eps foam.

Baylor

I would get a new one. I would not want my baby in a seat that may have mold or other contaminates on it after so long. There could have been rodents up there or birds.. I just would get a new one. There are plenty of good seats out there that are not horribly expensive. It seems that with your DOM you may have to replace it anyway before the baby would be done with it. If someone gave you a seat in that condition would you use it?

I would save and get a new one. Check out the bargain section here.. There are always great deals to be had!

Notaclue

If you can afford to get a new seat then I probably would, but if not, I would just get a new harness for that one, assuming I could get the cover clean.

Pixels

I don't think the temperature conditions in the attic are any worse or more extreme than in a parked car. That doesn't bother me.

I stored my infant seat in a storage facility for a while. Even though it was "clean" when it went in, the harness molded, presumably from residual puke. I washed the cover and the harness in the washing machine to get rid of the mold, then put the harness back in the seat so I wouldn't forget how it goes. Then I ordered a new harness from the manufacturer. Of course washing the harness in the machine ruined the harness, but I wasn't going to put my baby in a moldy harness anyway, so it was already ruined.

Mom2FiveGirls

I agree with the others. The fact it was stored in the attic wouldn't bother me. If I could afford it I'd get a new seat. If not, I'd get a new harness at least and wash the cover good and I'd feel perfectly fine using the seat.

hunypooh77

I stopped by BRU today and compared a few seats. I think I have it narrowed down to the Keyfit 30 and the Snugride 30...will depend on which fits better in my vehicle, it was way too cold to go outside with dd by myself and try them out.

I think I will definately try to get dh to agree to a new seat, seems like the best decision. Someone mentioned something about mice, I do know there have been mice in our attic...eww!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC