safety advice for a new FFer??

kmarcus

Good morning! I installed our Nautilus for our almost 4-yr-old yesterday and he rode in it for the first time this morning. This is my first experience with FF...any safety advice I could be forgetting? How far up do I need to move the front passenger seat that's in front of him? And I couldn't tighten the tether as much as I'd like to...just wasn't possible for some reason...it's not LOOSE, just not REALLY tight. It's in a 2006 Civic...I had to take the car's headrest off to get the tether tight at all.

By the way, it was WAY harder to get him out of the car FF!

Thanks for your help!

Kate

ADS

icnee

There really is no rule (that I know of any how )for how far up the front seat has to be for some one behind it. You can put it up as far as you like just bacareful not to block your veiw ( which you could do with out relizing it so get in and check before goin)

As long as you got the tether tightened I wouldnt worry if is not as tight as the seat install is, just besure not to leave the head rest in the car.

And HUDGE CONGRATS for Keeping him RFing for so long:love::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mish

Yeah, as icnee said, the tether doesn't have to be tight. Just have all of the slack out of it.

As far as moving the seat in front of him up, do you ever have a passenger in the front seat? If so, the seat needs to be back a little for them. You don't want them right up by the dash if you are in an accident.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Definitely leave enough room for a front seat occupant in a crash.

Keep in mind that the vehicle seat is going to move forward some in a crash, too. As long as his child seat is installed securely and the harness is tight, just pick a nice compromise if there's an occupant in front. If not, feel free to move the front seat all the way forward.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Definitely leave enough room for a front seat occupant in a crash.

Keep in mind that the vehicle seat is going to move forward some in a crash, too. As long as his child seat is installed securely and the harness is tight, just pick a nice compromise if there's an occupant in front. If not, feel free to move the front seat all the way forward.

We ride with the passenger seat all the way forward (and bolt upright) unless there's a passenger. :thumbsup: I would imagine that your Civic probably has about the same amount of room between seats that my Focus does - that is, not very much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC