Question Advice Regarding Britax Marathon 65

U

Unregistered

My son is 2.5 year old , but very tall and thin ( approx 37" tall and only 25lbs) and we currently have him FF in a Safety 1st Alpha Omega 3in1 - I HATE IT - so ive been re-searching for months and im pretty much sold on the Britax Marathon 65 - more so because of its SIP and the premium latch system making it easier to take between our 2 vehicles - I looked at the Graco MyRide 65 but the base of the seat would be too high in our 09 Kia Sportage , the Britax looks like it would be a much better fit - we are also deciding to switch our son back RF in the Britax for another year , but im wondering if he would last that long? Really even if he couldnt go back RF for long, im still hoping the Britax would work for us....Any suggestions or comments about the Britax Marathon 65? Pros and cons?....Really anything is better than the 3in1 we have now but I really want something thats going to be safer and much more comfortable for our son as well. I dont know that it matters , but we live in Canada , so alot of the seats we dont get or cant get :( Britax seems to be the best one ive found to work for our needs.

ADS

dingohate

I bought this seat for my 2.5 year old and 1 year old to share on our "infrequently but sometimes used just with one child car" and I loathe it for my 2.5yo. There is literally NO leg room for my son (and he's only 36") The only thing that is easy is adjusting the harness, but the battle to get him over the edge and buckled in is not worth the ease of harness tightening IMO. And it's hard to get him in because of the seat, not because he fights me (in case that wasn't clear)

I would steer VERY clear from a Britax MA65 if you intend on ERF. I'm using mine for my daughter who is only 18lbs and 29" and it's just fine for now. As soon as it starts to give me grief I'm selling the POC :)

smackeen

I am using a True fit for my new 3yr old. He is about 28lbs, but a few inches shorter than your LO.

I cannot really comment on other seats, but I hear a lot about Radians. I hope someone can give you a little more info to help you out.

dingohate

I am using a True fit for my new 3yr old. He is about 28lbs, but a few inches shorter than your LO.

I cannot really comment on other seats, but I hear a lot about Radians. I hope someone can give you a little more info to help you out.

I have a Radian for my DS and absolutely adore it! it's his "everyday" seat and I couldn't be happier. It's got a super tall shell and the sides are low profile so it's easy to get a bigger kid in and out of RFing. My only complaint is the harness adjustment is a bit of a PITA because you have to tug-stop-tug-stop to tighten the last bit of slack. I can live with that, it's much easier than arguing with the Britax.

Here are a couple of pics as a comparison

lucasrfflora.jpg

lucasrfcow.jpg

chay

First off there are no official regulations regarding SIP testing or claims when leaves manufacturers to make their own claims for marketing. Any 5 point harness (especially a rear facing (RF) seat) will provide SIP.

Some more seats that you might want to consider
- Radians - RF to 45lbs, FF to 65lbs, THS 18" - will last much longer RF and much longer FF than a Marathon for about the same price. Downside - they are a tricky install and don't fit in all cars so it is best to try before you buy.

- Complete Air - RF to 40lbs, FF to 50lbs, THS 18" - will also last much longer RF and much longer FF than a Marathon for a thin child. Can be installed as upright as 30 degrees so they can fit in pretty much anything. Not sure if they are still on sale at Toys R Us.

- True Fit - RF to 35lbs, FF to 65lbs, THS 18" - taller shell than a Marathon, for some kids they will last longer RF than the Marathon because the Marathon can be outgrown by height before 40lbs. Can be as upright as 35 degrees and can fit in small cars well. Goes on sale as low as $150.

I own 2 of the older generation Marathons which I bought after hating a 3in1 (I refuse to deal with it so it's in DH's car). The Marathons are nice seats and at the time they were the best option for me (this was back when all seats in Canada RF to 30lbs). Last seat I bought was a Radian and I love it and my 4.5 year old is RF in it - he would be too tall to RF in an Marathon65 and even if he could he would be very squished by comparison.

I also wanted to add that both of my kids get in their own seats so high sides aren't really an issue for us. My 2 year old has been able to climb up and over her fairly high Marathon for a year, I wouldn't imagine she'd have a hard time with any other seat.

If you do go with a Britax they are on sale at Snugglebugz (click on the sponsor link at the top of the forum). The owner is a tech and I've only heard good things about their customer service.

Happy shopping.

ETA - I'm too slow - the pics above are great!

Vanessa23

I love my Britax Marathon for the baby through about 2.5 years. After that, I find the seat too high. I would prefer a low profile seat. If you're wanting to ERF, we like our radian but it's not as cushy and I find that we don't get the benefit of long sleeps on the road. If you really want Britax and aren't ERF, we love our Frontier. Great harness, two cup holders, side wings help keep the head from flopping.

vonfirmath

My son is 2.5 year old , but very tall and thin ( approx 37" tall and only 25lbs) and we currently have him FF in a Safety 1st Alpha Omega 3in1 - I HATE IT - so ive been re-searching for months and im pretty much sold on the Britax Marathon 65 - more so because of its SIP and the premium latch system making it easier to take between our 2 vehicles - I looked at the Graco MyRide 65 but the base of the seat would be too high in our 09 Kia Sportage , the Britax looks like it would be a much better fit - we are also deciding to switch our son back RF in the Britax for another year , but im wondering if he would last that long? Really even if he couldnt go back RF for long, im still hoping the Britax would work for us....Any suggestions or comments about the Britax Marathon 65? Pros and cons?....Really anything is better than the 3in1 we have now but I really want something thats going to be safer and much more comfortable for our son as well. I dont know that it matters , but we live in Canada , so alot of the seats we dont get or cant get :( Britax seems to be the best one ive found to work for our needs.

My son has a tall torso and we used our Britax Marathon 65 until he was just over 3 years. He was 33 pounds then and the lack of cupholder was starting to really bother us so we switched his main seat to the Maestro at that point and turned the Marathon around FFing in the lest used car. We never had problems with leg room.

Last edited:

mommycat

I *love* my (older style) Marathon but I would not choose to buy it to RF a taller child, and I think the new ones are very similar. Exactly as dingohate's pictures show, the legroom just isn't there, and while the lack of room is not a real issue I would not pick that seat over the others if I was buying new.

Radian - as mentioned, it can at times be a bear to install depending on the vehicle, but if you get a good fit and figure it out then it's smooth sailing from there. The seat is fairly resistant to changes in recline angle, so that might be a factor. The low profile and lack of shell around the seat make it easy for kids to get in and gives them more freedom for their legs. The stated limit in Canada is 40" for RF so if you go by the manual for the height limit, you still have a few inches to go.

CA - It is on sale at TRU until the 13th, IIRC. It is also on rollback at Walmart for the same price ($149.97). Technically, it has a stated RF height limit of 36", if you are following the manual. (I file that in the realm of parental decision but it's one I am not sure I would make myself, for no concrete reason, even though I did for the 32" Dorel limits.)

TF - You get lots of room to RF in this seat by height, so if your DS is only 25lbs, the 35-lb limit should be more than adequate. The height limit is 1" from the top of the shell, and it's one of the taller shells available. It has lockoffs so seatbelt installs are easy if you don't have UAS or once the UAS limit for the vehicle is reached.

Slightly O/T Question: I don't know too much about the new Britax convertibles - can anyone update me on whether they are any taller than the old shells? I see in the manual that they are going with the 1" rule for RF but don't have a frame of reference for what that means, exactly.

Here's a couple of pics of my then-"3 year old, 32 lb and 38.5" with approx. 14.5" torso" kid trying out the TF, which was installed as upright as it could be (or maybe even more so - point is installing more reclined would leave more legroom):

attachment.php
attachment.php

aeormsby

We have (older) MA65's and I'm starting to get very tired of folding my not-so-big just turned 3yo into it RF. It's a great seat and I love it, but not something I would buy for an older RF child.

I would go for the Truefit if I were you. I got one for my Sister and it seems like such a nice seat. Much roomier than the MA.

dingohate

Radian - as mentioned, it can at times be a bear to install depending on the vehicle, but if you get a good fit and figure it out then it's smooth sailing from there. The seat is fairly resistant to changes in recline angle, so that might be a factor. The low profile and lack of shell around the seat make it easy for kids to get in and gives them more freedom for their legs. The stated limit in Canada is 40" for RF so if you go by the manual for the height limit, you still have a few inches to go.

I thought the height limit was 44" RFing? I just pulled a PDF of the Canadian manual off of the SKJP website and it confirms that. Did something change?

http://www.skjp.com/simg/21826720.pdf

dingohate

Thanks Snowbird! That makes perfect sense now. I had seen that on the forums in the past and thought I was missing something! When you say "Radian" what seat are you referring to, the 65? I can't seem to find the info on their website as that one is 44" rf too. Perhaps previous models? Enlighten me! hehehe

mommycat

Thanks, Trudy. When did that come out? I haven't been around for a few months so I obviously missed something re: the 44" height limit. Will try to remember that ASAP!

sparkyd

Slightly O/T Question: I don't know too much about the new Britax convertibles - can anyone update me on whether they are any taller than the old shells? I see in the manual that they are going with the 1" rule for RF but don't have a frame of reference for what that means, exactly.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the new Marathons have slightly shorter shells than the older ones.

For what it's worth I'm a huge True Fit fan. All things considered it is still my favourite seat. The Radian comes in second basically because there are so many issues with it (RF compatibility and like 3 issues that have come up with some of the new models) that I can't love it. I want to, but I can't.

mommycat

The shells are shorter? That's so strange. I really need to do some brushing up on these seats since I know next to nothing about them.

dingohate

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the new Marathons have slightly shorter shells than the older ones.

For what it's worth I'm a huge True Fit fan. All things considered it is still my favourite seat. The Radian comes in second basically because there are so many issues with it (RF compatibility and like 3 issues that have come up with some of the new models) that I can't love it. I want to, but I can't.

They are slightly shorter :(
If I had a 25lb, tall 2 year old I'd definitely go True Fit (we have one kicking around somewhere) I'd probably get the Premier as I've heard harness adjustment is slightly better because of the ARB. It's SO EASY to install and it's an excellent seat. Some people have an issue with a continuous harness like that of the TF but I actually like it.

I think I have a car seat addiction LOL

sparkyd

If I had a 25lb, tall 2 year old I'd definitely go True Fit (we have one kicking around somewhere) I'd probably get the Premier as I've heard harness adjustment is slightly better because of the ARB. It's SO EASY to install and it's an excellent seat. Some people have an issue with a continuous harness like that of the TF but I actually like it.

Yeah, I'd probably get a True Fit Premier if I was buying one now as well. I've grown accustomed to the RF harness issue, but I do still curse a blue streak on the odd occasion when I need to loosen it. It is particularly bad in my car. I'm with you on the continuous harness - I actually love that part of the True Fit. I find myself yanking on the harness of my Marathon and Radian forgetting that they don't have the continuous harness. I think it is really practical. Especially the odd time when I'm scratching my head over a regular harness with slack on one side while the other is tight. So annoying.

U

Unregistered

Thanks ladies for all your help! I really appreciate all your responses - and the photos as well to better visualize just how little room the Marathon would have RF for my son

I think I have decided to go with the True Fit - I went to Zellers today and played around with it and I was suprised I actually loved it! It seems to be a good fit for what we need! I hate the color though so im gonna have to search around for one that isnt puke brown colored LOL

Thanks again for all your help! Im glad I came here before purchasing a marathon and hating it :)

Kimberly

Ack! Mommycat, thanks for posting the little tidbit about the CA rearfacing height limit of 36". I am looking for a second seat and that was one I was looking at. This thread was perfect for the type of info I needed :) My daughter is 36" so onto the next seat option I guess.

Hope the True Fit works for you and that you can find it in a great color!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC