RA50 or TF for 3 month old...tether

macmomma

Ok- I got a new car and am wondering if I should move my 3 month old out of the TF w/o headrest into the RA50 so I can tether the car seat?
I am always worried when I can not tether a seat rfing. He was in a MyRide until yesterday but only because it was the only seat that would fit for 3 across in my old car.
What are the pros and cons of RF tether????

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We don't know that there is one at all. In fact, some would argue it's a disadvantage to not allow the child to ride down the rebound. There is a slight benefit to the tether in a side impact, but nothing has been shown to be a benefit or a disadvantage in a rear or frontal collision.

The Roundabout 50 has high bottom slots. Does your three month old fit in it?

Wendy

Dillipop

Does your 3 mo fit in the RA50 yet? Mine only fits if she has on cloth diapers and it is *close*. If she slouched even a tiny bit, she wouldn't really fit. However, she fits great in the TFP we just got.

I have heard differing opinions on tethering with little babies. Some say that it's fine, since the seat (RA50) can be tethered. Others tend to think that it could create extra load on a babies neck while rebounding. There's no evidence either way on if it is good or not to tether while rearfacing.

If you are uncomfortable with a nontethered seat and the baby fits the RA50, then you should switch the baby to the seat you are most comfortable with.

macmomma

Thank you for the replies:)
Yes, he fits in the RA50- I had him in it the other day in hubby's truck and he was even with the bottom slot. I will try to take a pic tomorrow and let you guys look just to make sure:thumbsup:
I do not know for sure why I am so paranoid about not having a seat tethered rfing..... maybe because we got rear ended a few years ago on the interstate by someone hitting us going over 70mph while we were standing still.... just the though of him hitting the back of the seat... I don't know.... *sigh*

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hitting the backseat isn't a problem. It's padded and designed for the average adult male to impact. Your baby, with a shell around them, will be fine even if they do hit the backseat.

Wendy

WhatAboutPuppy

I understand how you feel... There is just something that makes me feel better about a tethered RF seat. Would I tether a newborn though? no. Because I want that seat to move with that small babe's head, neck and spinal column. I don't the tether to not rebound... meaning only the babe will continue moving towards the rear of the vehicle. Now, an older babe or toddler or preschool has a stronger neck and I feel comfortable that their neck can better withstand the rebound of a tethered seat. As a previous poster mentioned, there have been some benefits in a side impact crash to have a tethered RF'ing seat.

Keep in mind every seat on the market has at least met the standards and has been found safe to use RF.

macmomma

I understand how you feel... There is just something that makes me feel better about a tethered RF seat. Would I tether a newborn though? no. Because I want that seat to move with that small babe's head, neck and spinal column. I don't the tether to not rebound... meaning only the babe will continue moving towards the rear of the vehicle. Now, an older babe or toddler or preschool has a stronger neck and I feel comfortable that their neck can better withstand the rebound of a tethered seat. As a previous poster mentioned, there have been some benefits in a side impact crash to have a tethered RF'ing seat.

Keep in mind every seat on the market has at least met the standards and has been found safe to use RF.

Soooo- a small infant should not be tethered? At what age would you start tethering the seat?
Gosh- I thought I knew most (as in a lot) about car seat safety (thanks to car-seat.org:thumbsup:) but I guess you never stop learning about it.

Thanks for the info!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no data saying if or when a tether should be used. Some people are comfortable with it from birth, others won't until the child is "bigger" (for some that may be 20 pounds, for others it may be four months, for others it may be two years).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC